Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7294 7295 [7296] 7297 7298 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9480079 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109425 on: December 04, 2016, 07:18:42 am »

Feeling really sad and hopeless all of a sudden*. Ugh.

*not really sudden, been so all day. Just worse now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109426 on: December 04, 2016, 07:22:51 am »

The move getting you down?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109427 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:09 am »

Yeah.
Seems like just yesterday I was all enthusiastic and excited and filled with determination to make things work... Edit: but now the obstacles are insurmountable, everything's doubtless going to go wrong and there's no point to anything anyway because I'll never be happy no matter what I do.

One hell of a nasty mood swing.  :(
Who knows, my irrational fears and sadnesses just might be right.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:48:53 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109428 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:19 am »

Man, reading about that rave club fire in Oakland. Horrible stuff, feel for everyone involved. Except the owner of the club, who sounds like a total douche.

After the fire, he tweet how he was relieved his family was ok and it was terrible that he lost all his stuff. Not a word about the victims of the fire or their families. I was 50/50 at that point, but then I heard that he'd previously laughed off the safety inspectors (multiple times) and concerned friends when they tried to warn him about how unsafe the building was. The only way down from upstairs was a stairwell made out of wooden pallets, there was no safety equipment of any type, and the place was jam packed with wooden furniture and nicknacks. Total deathtrap party hovel, run by a hipster douchebag who can't even say a word for the victims.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:16:09 am by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109429 on: December 04, 2016, 12:25:10 pm »

Wouldn't they have had some sort of authority to shut the place down if it'd been found dangerous multiple times? If the city doesn't have that power then I hope they get it soon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109430 on: December 04, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

Wow, I knew the wooden pallet trend was dumb, but now it has actually killed people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109431 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:32 pm »

Wow. And here I was ignoring this news because I figured it was just another random unpredictable disaster which the media was choosing to splash everywhere simply because news was slow. (Also to keep fear alive)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109432 on: December 04, 2016, 05:21:39 pm »

Wouldn't they have had some sort of authority to shut the place down if it'd been found dangerous multiple times? If the city doesn't have that power then I hope they get it soon.

He was running the parties illegally without a permit, so there was no above-board thing to "shut down", so all they could do was tell him "this warehouse/artspace your living in is dangerous, fix it up".

Obviously his illegal gigs went under the radar.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:24:37 pm by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109433 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:24 pm »

Since when do you need a permit to have a party?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109434 on: December 04, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »

If your charging money to go to a gig you do. He was having bands and DJ playing and charging money to go, with fliers and stuff. You do need a permit for that sort of thing. You can't just rent a commercial space and put gigs on, call it a "party" and not have any rules or laws you need to follow.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:29:07 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109435 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:39 pm »

I would imagine that there are capacity limits to worry about as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109436 on: December 04, 2016, 05:33:18 pm »

Holy shit, a new article just rolled into my feed about it:
http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/tenants-describe-the-death-trap-warehouse-where-30-people-died-in-fire/news-story/4636016c247aa05848eaade3fae858ce

It was often freezing cold in the building. Water and power were sometimes stolen from neighbours, who would get angry and shut them off. One time, a generator blew up and residents quickly doused the flames, she said. Ms Mack said she didn’t know the ramshackle dwelling was illegal until after she moved in. She was instructed to tell visitors it was a 24-hour workspace for artists, and when inspectors or other outsiders came to visit, she and other residents scurried to hide clothes, bedding and other evidence anyone was living there.

Oakland officials say at least 30 people perished when a fire ripped through the cluttered space during a dance party on Friday night, and the death toll is expected to rise.

It was crammed with rugs, old sofas and a garage-sale-like collection of pianos, paintings, turntables, statues and other items that quickly fed the flames. “All kinds of electrical cords running through there illegally. Massive extension cords. Heavy musical equipment,” Ms Mack said. “They lure you in with all these promises about what they’re going to do with your deposit and your rent,” she said. “They don’t do any of it, they just party with it.”

Access to the second floor — where there was a room for concerts and a home for the couple and their children — was a rickety, homemade staircase, she said. “Calling it a staircase gives you the idea that it was a set of stairs. It was not,” Ms Boudreaux said. “It was random pieces of wood put together to create something that you could get up to the top floor on. But it was not what most people would consider a staircase. It was like a jimmy-rigged makeshift staircase. As soon as you stepped on it, it wobbled all over the place.”

“I had told her parents explicitly that the warehouse conditions were not safe,” Ms Boudreaux said. “Half the time they didn’t even have running water, let alone heated water. They were using little electric heaters. There was cat (faeces) everywhere. Piles and piles of random driftwood that had nails sticking out of it.” She said Ms Almena continually moved pieces of wood around the space. “Two weeks later it could be a completely different configuration,” she said. “Even people who knew the building would have a hard time getting out.”
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:43:57 pm by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109437 on: December 04, 2016, 06:43:26 pm »

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:24:51 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109438 on: December 04, 2016, 10:08:24 pm »

Not worried. But I do feel for you.

If it helps, you can be utilitarian about it, and think about it as a transaction (if that's how they're treating this); they don't have any more power over your life or long-term happiness than what you're willing to give them, in order to get whatever benefit you get out of associating with them. If they won't strive to make things better and fix their own shit, the day will come when you don't need them for what few things they do offer, anymore. You're not bound to them, even if they're family.

Also, I can promise... it absolutely gets better.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109439 on: December 04, 2016, 11:01:55 pm »

It really, really can get better.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 7294 7295 [7296] 7297 7298 ... 8167