Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7288 7289 [7290] 7291 7292 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487157 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109335 on: November 29, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »

@Tiruin:Yeah, physical connections are extremely lacking in my life...

That's the thing, the problems aren't around me, they're farther away than I can reach.  The effects of those problems will definitely reach me, but I don't know how I could possibly fight back.
Work with what's specific, and what's in the present. If you're facing a general problem, it may come off that it'll seem a lot less able to be handled because of how indistinct on what where the concern is, as in where it could be handled. So work on what you can do, with what you can control--and that generally begins with yourself; how you handle these, how you react to those concerns.
QFT.

Sometimes I feel the same exact way TBF. Like there are problems out there that I can't control, and it worries me a lot. Regardless, at the end of the day I have to look forward and have confidence that things will work out as long as I'm providing a sustained effort. Sometimes I too lose control of that effort and how I handle doing so but know that you are not alone in this problem. There are plenty of people out there who care, but even if feel the same way when I vent to the wrong person, for instance.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109336 on: November 29, 2016, 01:14:11 pm »

Managed to splatter my wrist with about a hundred ml of boiling gravy while cooking today. At least I know the sound I make when in unexpected severe pain is a fairly manly "hmk!", though. :P Looks like the burn will heal up reasonably well, too.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109337 on: November 29, 2016, 02:21:45 pm »

Greetings, accidental injury bro.

I managed to give myself a pretty good whack to the face today by not looking where I was walking. Bloodied my nose some but I think my pride took the most damage. Still feel a bit out of sorts.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #109338 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:01 pm »

Ouch. Both sound painful.

However, bonus points to Arx. Self-basting oneself really takes the pressure off our new alien overlords :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #109339 on: November 29, 2016, 02:40:56 pm »

I've been contemplating the cessation of my existence more than I would like lately. I don't think it would ever happen, at least, not purposefully. But I wish it would not plague me like it has.

My own problems, in the context of others, is insignificant. I do not feel justified in feeling bad when many struggle with loads larger than mine. But I still do. And those bouts of, "My existence is meaningless facade", really, really do not help my overall health.

So I wish I could just... Get over myself. But whether that would help, or whether I am just suppressing an inevitable flaming heat death of too much time spent worrying and trying to ignore the fact that my life is flying off the rails when the controls are in my hands I just refuse to do any fucking thing about it.

That was not a sentence I just posted. But it accurately describes how I feel. My mind is frayed into itty bitty bits, and I am rapidly losing the sense of consciousness necessary to bring them all together again.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109340 on: November 29, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »

I do not feel justified in feeling bad when many struggle with loads larger than mine.

This is bad thought. Other problems, even worse problems, not make your problems not matter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109341 on: November 29, 2016, 03:23:14 pm »

If all else fails just weld your pliers to the screw for that extra needed grip to screw it out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #109342 on: November 29, 2016, 05:26:51 pm »

I do not feel justified in feeling bad when many struggle with loads larger than mine.

This is bad thought. Other problems, even worse problems, not make your problems not matter.

This is true. It also cheapens the problems of others; creating false correlation on the idea that anyone else's problems somehow make mine worse. Or something like that.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109343 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:30 pm »

These last couple months made me really... "sad".  I lost my job, then politics stuff.  Along with *various* and *diverse* interactions with family.

That had an impact on me...  of course it did.  I shouldn't deny that.  I should accept and grow from it. 
I've come through it without really alienating anybody, which was a real concern.  I spent a lot of the time embarrassingly drunk, but that's not who I am.  That was merely a temporary result of my comfortable routine being torn apart.

I have very real problems, and I have been reasonably often facing them.  Mostly because people expect me to fail!  Especially family!  Well fuck them, I'm going to keep living my life!

Yeah actually that's a sad, my family's "support" always leaves me feeling uncertain and frankly self-despising [almost every word of comfort conceals at least one barb].  But I've always managed to get on despite that.  Maybe... maybe because of that.

It's a matter of pride that I still interact with them at all.  I could easily... not.  It would be SO much easier.  But the challenge is its own reward, and I am a good descendant.

Alternatively...  Maybe I only keep going to spite them.  Maybe I'm terrified to leave them, because I'd be completely adrift with an overwhelming burden of choice and no scapegoats.
Eh whichever.  It works.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109344 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »

@Tiruin:Yeah, physical connections are extremely lacking in my life...

That's the thing, the problems aren't around me, they're farther away than I can reach.  The effects of those problems will definitely reach me, but I don't know how I could possibly fight back.
Work with what's specific, and what's in the present. If you're facing a general problem, it may come off that it'll seem a lot less able to be handled because of how indistinct on what where the concern is, as in where it could be handled. So work on what you can do, with what you can control--and that generally begins with yourself; how you handle these, how you react to those concerns.
What would you recommend for dealing with politics?  Seems like that's the root cause of it all...

This is true. It also cheapens the problems of others; creating false correlation on the idea that anyone else's problems somehow make mine worse. Or something like that.
I know you already said something, but yeah, the starving children in Africa fallacy is exactly that: A fallacy.  Others' problems don't make yours less important.

More broadly: *hugs*

I wish I had some advice, but I'm honestly too dead inside to come up with anything actually helpful.

@Naxza:Hm.  Uhh...  I have absolutely no idea how to fix that.  Sorry.

@Rolan:*hugs*

It doesn't matter why you do what you do, so much as what you do, and you are doing good things.

I accomplished literally nothing productive today.  I have deadlines fast approaching and spent the day zombieing to music and TVTropes.

Dammit, I need to do something productive and it's just not working...I just want to sleep instead.  *sigh*

This is day 2 of 'not being able to properly do anything'.

Yay.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:17:03 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109345 on: November 29, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »

Ordinarily, my sad are ones one quiet desperation. Today is one of manic obsession. I really needed my Thanksgiving break to be ready for the end of the semester. I was already fraying at the edges mentally, I was unkept and my room unswept etc. Mental distance would have been very helpful. Instead, almost the entire break was devoted to throwing up, clutching my tummy in pain, trying to handle a fever in a house I already thought was uncomfortably warm when not sick, and worst of all: in-between vomiting, adjusting my icepack, desperately drinking fluids, etc., I just lay in bed drifting in-and-out consciousness, and never fully lucid, or fully unconscious. Just before I came home I missed a day of sleep, and missed most of the next day's sleep because I was helping out my mother (she got hit with it first), and when I woke up the day following I was just as miserable. And yet I can't sleep properly (even by my standards; it took me a full hour to sleep on Sunday night/Monday morning, and I was up at 9:00 AM). Last night I didn't sleep until 6 AM, then slept through the only single fucking thing I needed to do today, and now I've wasted literally all of the day going manically from one irrelevant activity to another (I also missed my meals, but honestly my appetite has been dead since my illness so no loss). I have a lot of work to do tomorrow and some work to before then, and yet mentally (let alone physically) I've crashed. I haven't spoken to any of my friends in over a week save for early this morning, and only for a few minutes. I'm not following anything, I'm not up to date with anything, I'm just not in control. And yet instead of just sleeping or something it's more like I'm asleep at the controls and my foot is on the gas.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109346 on: November 29, 2016, 11:16:16 pm »

*hugs misko*

Stop.  Sit down.  Take some deep breaths.  Collect yourself.  Do it.

...sorry if that didn't help.  I'm just not sure what else.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #109347 on: November 30, 2016, 04:17:31 am »

Well it's almost certain that I have PTSD.

Therapy today was... intense. I should've brought things up earlier in the session, and as time went on I just broke down. Had to leave though due to the session ending, and so I left, got some coffee. Walked around downtown Philly for a bit towards the bus stop. Went home crying and absolutely full of anxiety and depression and everything being overwhelming. Talked to my girlfriend for a bit, which really helped, then took a nap.

It's good to know what's going on but... It's painful.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109348 on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:26 am »

Therapy helps. It's easier for me to say, since I'm not an easily moved person, but getting the weights off your chest really, really makes things better. Sometimes that means you sit in your therapist's office crying, 's okay. Keep it up!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109349 on: November 30, 2016, 08:07:13 am »

*hugs ECrownofFire*
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 7288 7289 [7290] 7291 7292 ... 8167