Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7189 7190 [7191] 7192 7193 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9485628 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #107850 on: September 22, 2016, 11:32:51 am »

Not like I would have particularly valued the friendship if I'd known he was into rap

yeah man, obviously no judging going on here. just me and my crazy diseased imagination.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #107851 on: September 22, 2016, 12:37:19 pm »

I finally got sick of my mom's snide comments whenever I asked her about something. It's always a one-off comment implying that she's done nothing wrong and my failures led to the current situation, which she does even if I'm not accusing her of anything or it's obvious that it's my fault. My father does the same thing, actually: Need something and "Well you know I do so much to help you already, and now you want more?" just casually injected as if they can't help themselves (although if you mention this comparison, as i did, she goes off like it's the most insane thing she's ever heard). It's annoying, and I got annoyed enough to tell her to stuff it. Then she did her usual deflection, more blaming, and I started ranting back at her, describing in great detail how every conversation involves her blaming someone else, usually me. I waste an hour writing stuff up, delete it because i know it'll enflame the situation, write something much shorter and milder, she literally refuses to respond to anything but the original issue.

Eventually I notice that I received an email from my sister. She has a problem: I've often told her not to hate our mother and to understand the difficulties mom goes through that leads to her acting the way she does. So my sister was emailing me, explaining that she was trying to rationalize some new absurdity my mother had inflicted on her, blaming my sister for ruining her breakfast the same way she ruined my mother's birthday a few days ago. My sister brought up that what she did on my mother's birthday paled in comparison to what mom had done on my sisters birthday earlier this year, and my mother got angry and blamed my sister for that too (we wanted to get ice cream, we left too late and the store closed, my sister (who, mind, is autistic) got sad and tried to hide that she thought her birthday was ruined and my mother ranted at her for being sad.).

So my sister sends this to me, asking how she is supposed to understand mom. This makes me snap a little bit. So I tell my mother "I am cutting off contact with you until you can answer me one major time in your life that you failed - whether by ignorance or malice - and hurt someone else, that was your fault and yours alone. No excuses. What is the worst time you failed?" I haven't gotten a response yet (this was last night), but my sister sent me a NEW email this morning describing my mother shouting at my sister that she had "betrayed her", and waking her up in the middle of night to kick her out of her bed and take it for herself, saying that it wasn't hers (I sense that this is actually my bed, which is the nicest bed apparently, and is often used by my sister and my mom when I'm not there).

I don't know what to do now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107852 on: September 22, 2016, 01:16:08 pm »

@misko:Be there for your sister, but don't back down.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #107853 on: September 22, 2016, 03:53:52 pm »

Shit, that doesn't sound too good. In any case, i'm pretty much just seconding what TBF said; your mom has crossed the line, and she needs to know that.

In other "news", it's massively disheartening how much power my anxiety still holds over me, even after having taken more than one huge step during the past several weeks. Guess the subject? Correct, drawing! I have absolutely no doubts that i want to draw things, but putting the pencil down on the paper is so scary. I don't even know what i'm afraid of any more. My door is locked, the curtains are pulled, nobody can see me and nobody will ever even know that the drawing exists if i should desire it to be so, and yet... I'm still anxious. Is this some twisted Pavlovian conditioning? It's the same kind of scary as being about to jump into a pool of ice cold water, like your body is just saying "no this is a bad idea don't do it" even if your brain is set on doing it (... for whatever reason that may be).

I'm sometimes tempted to just give up, to say "fuck it" and thus never have to face that particular shade of my anxiety again, but... That's like having a cake in your hands and throwing it out because you're afraid of taking a bite, even if you know it's delicious. That's the level of stupid my anxious thoughts are operating at. Problem is, it's been pretty much hardcoded into my brain, and we all know how hard it is to change things that are hardcoded.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107854 on: September 22, 2016, 04:06:01 pm »

*hugs Shook*

I don't know what advice to give, other than, you can do it.  I know you have it in you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #107855 on: September 22, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »

I made a horrible mistake. Today is kind of a special day and I looked back to see what... was going on exactly an year ago.
Now I'm just sitting here and wondering when have I fucked up so hard. It's not even that I'm sad, more like... regretful. I have nearly forgot how things actually were and it made me think how things could have been.

It was weirdly calming, though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107856 on: September 22, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »

*hugs Kot*
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107857 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:30 pm »

There's a web client if you have a computer.  It's annoying, but it's there.

But yeah, that really sucks.  *hugs*
Sigtext

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107858 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:04 pm »

Feeling even shittier than the past few days, and in addition to this I can't read any of my kindle books because I smashed my phone's screen.

A 1 foot drop damaged the screen so much I can't read anything that's not in a font size that's basically for the visually impaired.
Can't the screen be replaced?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107859 on: September 22, 2016, 07:06:34 pm »

I made a horrible mistake. Today is kind of a special day and I looked back to see what... was going on exactly an year ago.
Now I'm just sitting here and wondering when have I fucked up so hard. It's not even that I'm sad, more like... regretful. I have nearly forgot how things actually were and it made me think how things could have been.

It was weirdly calming, though.
As times goes on you should feel better about it. Or perhaps not better but it won't matter as much, fading away. I can't wait for a year to pass as fast as it can. I hope to recover my wife trust within the year. Perhaps not completely but at least part of it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #107860 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:31 pm »

Shit, that doesn't sound too good. In any case, i'm pretty much just seconding what TBF said; your mom has crossed the line, and she needs to know that.
Meh. It's not so much a line, crossed as it is what she usually does when she gets very upset. Crossing the line, for me, is whenever she does that thing where she discovers something wrong me or my sister have done (usually me), and decides to keep it a secret. For days, and sometimes stretching into weeks, she will be arbitrarily vicious, seemingly out of the blue. We'd think everything was ok, and she would outwardly act ok (calm, is how I'd describe it), but then she would do something like disconnect the computer out of the blue while I was using it, or demand that we not do something we usually did (like "How dare you enter my room! Don't touch my stuff" when ordinarily she was ok with that). And very often it'd make some insulting but cryptic remark, like how I was a failure and didn't deserve to use the computer. Once she woke me up at 3 am and just glared at me. Sometimes it was at both of us, but often it would be aimed directly at me, where' she'd go through the trouble of appearing to be fine with my sister. It would go on, and I'd become increasingly on edge, wondering when the other shoe would drop. Wondering what it was. Hoping I could avoid provoking her for long enough that she'd stop being upset. Eventually something would provoke her and there'd be some huge lecture (when i was younger) or fight (when I got older) about my grades, or the internet, or swim team, or something I've broken, or whatever. Regardless of other factors the argument was, as a rule, never worse than the waiting. That waiting put the fear of god in me, and to this day when I sense she is in that mood (or whenever someone else close to me is acting suspiciously cold or distant), I often immediately start an argument just so I don't have to deal with the waiting and not knowing. By comparison this is just a tantrum she'll get over. The only real concern is that she is making my sister miserable while I'm not there. I genuinely don't know how she is going to respond to me, or whether she will. That does concern me.

And this is my good parent, mind.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107861 on: September 22, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »

All the same.  Hold fast on your decision and try to be there if you can.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107862 on: September 23, 2016, 12:59:59 am »

Not like I would have particularly valued the friendship if I'd known he was into rap

yeah man, obviously no judging going on here. just me and my crazy diseased imagination.
I never once said one's opinion of rap was the sole deciding factor when determining their worth.
Sure, liking it is a pretty big mark against a person, but they can overcome that with certain redeeming qualities in some cases.
To offer an example, a chain of vegetarian fast-food restaurants in my country. I really like the place. The owners, founders and developers of the chain, however, seem to have utterly terrible taste in music. Every so often there are posts on their social media about rap, and I have been turned off buying a meal from them on at least one occasion in the past due to especially obnoxious music playing in their stores.

But I can forgive them, because they make ridiculously delicious, ethical food and have a punny business name, not to mention the cool decor.

...That example got rather unnecessarily long and rambly. Hmm. I guess I'm hungry. :P
Other possible redeeming qualities (talking in general about one's worth as a person) might include, say, being a kind and generous person, displaying bravery, or making an effort to use correct capitalisation and grammar in one's posts, in increasing order of importance. Also if someone walked in and gave me a LoTF burger right now I'd probably forgive them anything, even the fact that they just barged into my room unexpectedly. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #107863 on: September 23, 2016, 02:30:46 am »

I do have to wonder what kind of world you live in where somebody's taste in music is a good way to judge somebody in any way whatsoever.

Just listen to this and try to tell me that you would genuinely think less of somebody because they like that. And if you can't stand the beat for some reason, just read the lyrics. Though with rap the beat is very important so don't do that. Also slant rhyming doesn't work nearly as well when just reading.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #107864 on: September 23, 2016, 02:33:56 am »

It is an excellent way to judge that you have no taste whatsoever. Rap of any kind is the musical equivalent of shit taking a shit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7189 7190 [7191] 7192 7193 ... 8167