Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7182 7183 [7184] 7185 7186 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476750 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #107745 on: September 18, 2016, 01:50:19 am »

Hmm. Motivation can be a tricky thing, sometimes. Only way to get good at self-motivation is to working on setting intentions and getting into the habit of following through on them.

There's other things you can piggy-back onto that idea too, to help you structure your time or help you exercise self control. If you're worried about bad internet habits, etc., some folks treat it like an addiction and do a Cold Turkey thing, or restrict their access to a schedule or a budget of time like you said. Some people set firm intentions to do other things before they pick a thing to do to relax, like play games or go online. There's stuff like the Pomodoro system too, where you budget short and frequent breaks, which split up the time you're putting into a main activity or task; you can freely goof around on breaks, as long as you get back to the task at hand when the break's over.

There's lots of ways to balance the ways you're spending time. Do whatever you've got to do, or whatever works best for you. I think there's lots of options that don't involve completely cutting something from your life, especially if it's important to you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107746 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:16 am »

There's a feeling that's always nagging me, I'd say every day now, a feeling that everything in life is a joke. That everything, in some way, is pretentious and insinuating something: that life is pointless, and everything action, any amount of care placed into anything, even your thoughts, even the very act of living itself, is a joke and caring about it is a waste of effort and feeling. A very faux-Nietzsche-y thing I know.

It's actually a feeling I've been harboring since my grade school years, but I suppose it's only now that I've bothered to place it into words, though I suppose that's more for me not being able to articulate the feeling rather than not trying to, cause I have been trying. I even think I first picked up the idea watching a cartoon, and hearing a character respond to another very incensed character "Who CARES?" and while that character was clearly just written to be an asshole, I'd been thinking about it ever since. Who really does care, and why should they care?

This feeling has been more and more poignant as, while my living conditions have improved and my general mood has proportionally improved and I'm not crushed by depression (as much) recently and in fact I'm feeling pretty good and contented with life recently, I still struggle to find the motivation in life, to do something greater than just existing. I still feel troubled though whenever I set out to actually do something productive and useful with myself, rather than relieved or glad or proud of myself, I feel that something is seriously wrong, that I'm upsetting the natural order of the universe by giving a fuck about anything. That having accomplishments mean nothing. That acquiring a skill or knowledge is pretentious. That finding love is pointless because humans are trivial and nothing special, and so are their feelings and futures.

This is the thought that weighs down my decision making I feel, a lot of the time. The most recent example would be me at a kind of dance-exercise class at the YMCA, and while it was fun and engaging, I found it very hard to get into it fully, my mind taking it upon itself to instead become absorbed its own thoughts about the seeming futility of it.

Sorry Soli if I'm not directing responding to you, I'm more just saying what's on my mind, cause I feel I need to say it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107747 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:22 am »

*Hugpats*, regardless of whether these have any meaning or not, have em anyway.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107748 on: September 18, 2016, 06:48:04 am »

*adds to the hugpile*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107749 on: September 18, 2016, 07:01:22 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/16/chinese-actor-xu-ting-dies-after-choosing-traditional-medicine-over-chemotherapy

This story made me sad. The fact that she did this because she wanted to spare her family the costs of real treatments made me sadder.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107750 on: September 18, 2016, 07:01:50 am »

....That sucks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107751 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:32 am »

My throat is as swollen and red as a baboon's arse right now. Lord, it's horrible.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107752 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:39 am »

It sucks even more when you consider that, while they dont say her specific disease, most lymphomas have actually a good prognosis with the correct treatment
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #107753 on: September 18, 2016, 07:07:49 am »

Cancer fucking sucks in general.  It's very existence and status as the slow cooker of lethal sicknesses makes me feel worse. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107754 on: September 18, 2016, 11:16:06 am »

Fuck my life.
That is all.

I was going to do a haiku about it but it seemed really shit. Sorry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107755 on: September 18, 2016, 11:26:21 am »

*hugs Yoink*

What happened?
Sigtext

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107756 on: September 18, 2016, 11:27:54 am »

Yoink: Having trouble with tenants?

EDIT: My parents are fighting today
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:45:56 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107757 on: September 18, 2016, 06:08:33 pm »

I want my own place to live so badly. I want to live alone, so alone that it's so quiet I could hear a pin drop. I shouldn't have quit my job.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107758 on: September 18, 2016, 06:37:14 pm »

I want my own place to live so badly. I want to live alone, so alone that it's so quiet I could hear a pin drop. I shouldn't have quit my job.
So, would you say that itsnotlogical Just Wants A Quiet Life?

In all seriousness, if conditions at your job were bad, there's minimal regret in quitting, Assuming you live in america, best of luck finding a new job with the horror stories I hear.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #107759 on: September 19, 2016, 12:49:06 am »

Something I don't understand, and has pissed me off for 7 years now (as long as my older son has been type 1 diabetic).  Insurance covers so much insulin, that you'll never possibly use it all.  But barely cover enough blood sugar test strips to get by at bare minimum # of checks per day.  And those things are fucking expensive.  Costs $50 for the smallest unit of 50 per bottle.  Had to spend that out-of-pocket so many fucking times, because we had one day to go before insurance would cover a refill and flying it blind would have been too irresponsible.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 7182 7183 [7184] 7185 7186 ... 8167