Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7057 7058 [7059] 7060 7061 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439758 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #105870 on: July 04, 2016, 12:38:13 am »

It's one of those days where it just comes across as kind of dumb for me to try to be anything. I suppose people who matter still support me, but it kind of stings that nobody else seem to care the slightest about my self-improvements. And I suppose it's not their fault. Marginally better garbage is still garbage.

Obviously I wrote this to ask for sympathy... but some advice on coping with mediocrity would be nice, or at least advice on how to tell mediocrity to get stuffed.

In addition to what Solisol said, as someone who knows a bit of you because you told her--you've to note that cynicism, pessimism, or other negative mindsets come out when you feel bad, and may affect your perception of yourself in a very subtle way that it seems normal 'because these are my thoughts'.
You're aware of the tone given the second paragraph though :O So rather than possibly search for a reason to justify that tone (ie "Why am I writing this? Sympathy T~T"), get down to the roots, or the perception starting that tone. o_o

I'm proud of you in the abstract sense. Keep at it, hon! Take it one step at a time; you'll get where you want to be.
Also what she said :3
Even in these moments, you show dignity (and humorously its not for scrubs, else I'm a very big scrub! :D), and a lasting note for you or those who get those kinds of self-esteem destructive thoughts, is to do self-assessment (along with being open to all the tools and ways you can do so) while noting why you conclude such things.
Then think new ideas; one can start at 'neutral' ideas rather than negative ones. Ones that are more mellow even in a tiniest bit, with direction that they can be ok with.

Also note your language :3 Language, especially what we use in our minds--what we use to think about ourselves and our surroundings to make sense, works on words used to convey meaning; if you find yourself repetitively using words that you notice may really affect your wholesome perception, branch out. If not with the word, with the meaning you have with those words. \o/

Edit: Gah the formatting looked better in Darklight, but I forgot most people use the Core forum viewing (ie White screen). Hopefully the 'glow' is visible.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:05:00 am by Tiruin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #105871 on: July 04, 2016, 06:15:15 am »

Rewatching Mr. Plinkett's reviews makes me wonder what could've been, and makes me want to try my hand at rewriting the prequels to be less shit, as a writing exercise.  But script frenzy is over and without that I'm pretty much writing star wars fanfic impromptu.

Still though.  As a kid I expected the clones to be bad guys, since it was the attack of the clones.  What if the Republic is invaded by an outer rim empire of malformed vat-grown soldiers, with Grievous as Space-Bane with a vendetta against the Republic for ruining his life on some bureaucrat's signature ("we're gonna pave over your hometown cause there's space oil or some shit, greater good and all, go live somewhere else" kind of thing).  The Republic's in its waning years, too bloated and overpopulated to agree to anything, and when Obi Wan and Anakin go on a mission to help protect civilians on the front Anakin gets to see first hand how impotent the Republic is as the clones go hulkamania and the Republic troops (who are volunteers so there's a human element, instead of clones fighting robots) are too ineptly managed to deal with it.

And then Anakin gets a chance to fight Grievous at the climax and gets his ass handed to him, with Grievous taunting his jedi training and the rhetoric of peace and restraint.  So then Anakin's faith in the jedi order and all it stands for is broken too. 

And he escapes but then in the second movie (only two, fuck TPM) Palpatine is taking advantage of the panic and disorganization to grab power and Anakin starts to identify with him instead, since he's a powerful figure who seems to know what it takes to stop the clones.  The rest of the Republic agrees and the senate hands its power over to Palpatine who uses his power to form the Stormtroopers.  They fight back against the clones and Anakin fights Grievous again, beats him, and executes him at Palpatine's behest, completing his dark side transformation.

Then palpatine sends him to kill the jedi, most of whom aren't warriors, and maybe the order's already in decline like the republic if Anakin killing them is too unbelievable.  I was thinking a slightly Japan-influenced bent to the Jedi order, with most of the Jedi being courtiers and diplomats with a caste of warriors guarding them.  That'd deal with the problem of fucking everybody having lightsabers and bring it more in line with the original movies where lightsabers were rare and Yoda and the Emperor didn't have one.  Anakin and Obi Wan are in the warrior caste so they have lightsabers, Palpatine and Yoda don't, nor do the vast majority of regular jedi.

And then he goes to kill Obi Wan in some kind of space thing akin to the original trilogy and Obi Wan beats him, using his rage and recklessness against him, and sends him down into the space hole, where he's burnt and frozen and shit and has to be turned into Darth Vader.

And there you go.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:17:58 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #105872 on: July 04, 2016, 08:18:17 am »

Irrigate your ears.  Won't do much for eustachian tubes but it might help keep them from getting that way again.

The first time I irrigated my ears I'd gotten to the point I could barely hear in my right ear.  The irrigation didn't do much at first and I thought it didn't work, then I turned my head and there was a streak of black running down my neck.

Long story short I had to hold a towel to my ear while more wax than should exist in ten people's heads poured out, and then everything was much louder than I remembered it being.
Shoes...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105873 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:16 am »

Pour some hydrogen peroxide in there, let it sit for a bit, and then wash it out with water. Might need to do it a couple of times to get all the wax, but it works.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #105874 on: July 04, 2016, 08:48:09 am »

My ORL teacher back at uni recommended against that. But hey, if you like it I won't object... :p
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #105875 on: July 04, 2016, 08:54:59 am »

I wouldn't use peroxide.  An irrigator is like ten bucks and comes with a softening agent.  Lie down, put it in your ear, read a book for 20 minutes, and irrigate.
Shoes...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105876 on: July 04, 2016, 06:20:36 pm »

Explosions and lawnmowers woke me up way too early this morning, I can never go back to sleep once I'm fully woke up, and I have a 13 hour shift tonight.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105877 on: July 04, 2016, 08:00:28 pm »

Lately, I haven't been getting fulfillment out of much of anything really, even forum games.

I really liked forum games, a lot. Now it seems it's either too much or never enough.

Seems like reading in general is just a bother, and I've never felt this way before.

WTF

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105878 on: July 04, 2016, 09:50:32 pm »

*hugpats everybody*

That thing I was talking about.  It's hurting again and I'm sad.  I miss them...I miss them so much.  We're still friends, but...I still miss them.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #105879 on: July 04, 2016, 10:17:02 pm »

It really really bothers me for some reason that my mother keeps acting like I'm some sort of fucking genius when in reality it just seems that way to her because she's a damn idiot >_<

"Oh hey your intelligence is average YOU MUST LIVE UP TO BIG EXPECTATION BECAUSE ABILITY TO DO SIMPLE LOGIC MEANS U R A SUPERHUMAN"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:20:25 pm by IronTomato »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105880 on: July 04, 2016, 11:07:49 pm »

Welp it seems me and sleep are going to be at odds this summer, even moreso than usually.

I kept waking up before 8 AM despite staying up late, so I decided, fuck it, if I'll wake up early regardless of when I go to bed I'll adjust to go to bed earlier and hopefully get some sleep that way. Well that worked splendidly, fell asleep around 1 AM only to wake up at 5 fucking 30 AM. A combination of fucking mosqitoes (I have contemplated amputating my right foot because the itching had become so god damn unbearable) and me probably becoming overly sensitive to light in the year that I slept in what amounted to a slightly large walk-in closet with a window facing a fucking wall. So now as soon as the sun peeks over the mountain I just have to wake the fuck up (and no, closing the blindfolds isn't an option because then the tiny room gets unbearably hot), and the best part of that is that my window is facing west, not east.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105881 on: July 04, 2016, 11:41:26 pm »

I've finally finished all 182 episodes of The History of Rome podcast. Sad because now I need something new to listen to.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #105882 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:18 pm »

Lately, I haven't been getting fulfillment out of much of anything really
I can relate to this. It sucks.

I just realized that this sentence perfectly describes my life for years. Years. Life has felt empty for years. The scale never occurred to me before.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105883 on: July 04, 2016, 11:52:54 pm »

That thing I was talking about.  It's hurting again and I'm sad.  I miss them...I miss them so much.  We're still friends, but...I still miss them.
* Yoink dives forwards and attempts to initiate a (possibly platonic?) hug-pile of joy upon TBF to cheer him up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105884 on: July 05, 2016, 04:58:32 am »

I can't give anything but hugs here.

*nevertheless hugs TBF.
Pages: 1 ... 7057 7058 [7059] 7060 7061 ... 8167