Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7026 7027 [7028] 7029 7030 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455291 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #105405 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »

One of my worst fears involving terrorism in my own country is that IS terrorists will attack the Gay Pride parade in Amsterdam.
Last year, it was so crowded that halfway through the day, the city council of Amsterdam shut down the city to any new visitors, because with 2 million visitors on top of a million inhabitants, the city was literally full, with the streets so crowded people could barely move.

If terrorists were to strike there, the death count could easily go in the hundreds if not thousands.
It would be like a "JACKPOT" target for IS terrorism. I'm sure our counter terrorism unit has it marked as high risk event in any case.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105406 on: June 12, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

Forty killed by Islamist militants in Ethiopia. The president of Gambia wants to genocide the Mandinkas. Boko Haram killed thirty-two and displaced over forty thousand. That's in the last week.

But, you know, white people in America are dying.
Why would I be more inclined to actually thank you for sharing this news if not for that last quip?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #105407 on: June 12, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »

Probably because it wouldn't come off as an attack. It probably could've done without it, but I am extremely bitter about the fact that no-one gives a damn until the people dying are from the North. It's a topic I'm okay with being bitter on.

I'm just gonna leave this and that there as something to think about, and move on. Statement made.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105408 on: June 12, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »

Forty killed by Islamist militants in Ethiopia. The president of Gambia wants to genocide the Mandinkas. Boko Haram killed thirty-two and displaced over forty thousand. That's in the last week.

But, you know, white people in America are dying.
Why would I be more inclined to actually thank you for sharing this news if not for that last quip?
Probably because you think that he's insulting the victims. Rather, he's insulting international journalism.

Le ninja.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105409 on: June 12, 2016, 02:29:45 pm »

Probably because it wouldn't come off as an attack. It probably could've done without it, but I am extremely bitter about the fact that no-one gives a damn until the people dying are from the North. It's a topic I'm okay with being bitter on.

I'm just gonna leave this and that there as something to think about, and move on. Statement made.
I live in the north, I stop to read the news that is made by writers in the north for consumers in the north, and the writers in the north aren't concerned about what happens in the north, which makes the consumers in the north assume nothing is happening or that the general climate of less stable areas is better than it actually is. I prefer not to depress myself by searching whatever IS atrocity happened in the middle east, but you can bet that if I hear it I'll stop and see what happened. It's a personal... divide between not wanting to further dampen people's moods and wanting people to know what happens, which is why I generally don't bring up these things.

I'm going off topic. Don't assume that nobody cares. Bring it to their attention, if you want them to care.

Probably because you think that he's insulting the victims. Rather, he's insulting international journalism.

Correct. Thank you for clarifying, and thank Arx for sharing that news.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #105410 on: June 12, 2016, 03:12:16 pm »

So we got rid of the dog and replaced it with guinea pigs.  My wife took our kids out to a guinea pig farm yesterday.  My younger kid apparently got instantly attached to a baby one.  Like it had just been born that day.  My wife and the merchant spent like half an hour trying to convince him to pick a different one.  He wouldn't budge.  They eventually caved, and bought the baby guinea pig.  Now that it's been home with us for about 24 hours, we're not sure if it will survive.  We can tell it grew overnight, and doesn't seem as thin as it did yesterday.  So maybe it ate while we were asleep?  I see conflicting information online about when they'll start eating solid food, and how to hand-feed an orphaned newborn.  We've tried a canned pumpkin/crushed pellets mixture that was recommended, but it refuses.  No idea what's going to happen, and it's frustrating.  Damn stubborn kids.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #105411 on: June 12, 2016, 03:33:47 pm »

My sole experience with baby guinea pigs involved the mothers being available and healthy, so no help from me, I'm afraid.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #105412 on: June 12, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »

How is it legal to sell an animal that young?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105413 on: June 12, 2016, 04:08:50 pm »

No one really cares about them? You can certainly give them away before they're finished weaning. Presumably the legal assumption, particularly with financial transactions, is that the person making the purchase/obtaining the animal is aware of how to care for young animals. It's not like it's particularly impossible... usually not even that difficult, just tedious. Family's raised up a few cats from similar conditions, so there's some exposure to it, f'me. Probably should be some kind of waiver to sign or summat like that, but... well, it's paperwork for a small subset of animals. Not much incentive to actually have laws for it. Egregious stuff gets bundled under animal cruelty. The occasional neglect death or whathaveyou is generally just kinda' shrugged off.

In any case, animal cruelty requires someone pressing the charges, and sometimes wouldn't stick even if the person shot the heads off kittens or something of similar nature (this has happened more than once in my area, for what it's worth.). Most areas and most people don't really care or have enough awareness to do much on that front, and in most places I'm aware of in the US, in any case, there's not really that much in the way of legal protections for animals, as animals *shrugs* As people's property is a different story, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105414 on: June 12, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »

Quote from: Truean
Of course what they're currently calling the largest mass shooting in America is against gays.... Not surprised.
I'd also bet a significant sum of money that the dickwipe who did it would call himself a Christian. Pisses me off no end.

I agree, actually. I want to hear about important stuff happening all over the world, not X celebrity doing Y "scandal".

His callousness and self-absorption are actually kinda comforting in their familiarity.  Heh, what a jerk...  I honestly feel better now.  I tell him off and break contact for a month, then I come back and there's no recrimination at all...  He's just happy to hear from me and starts ranting about stupid crap.  Relationships are so stupid!
That guy sounds amazing.

Anyway, in my own sads, the ceiling plaster of our house (built approaching thirty years ago) has been tested for asbestos (as part of incredibly slow earthquake repairs) and came back positive. Whole damn thing needs to be replaced.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:00:34 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105415 on: June 12, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »

I'd also bet a significant sum of money that the dickwipe who did it would call himself a Christian. Pisses me off no end.

Sorry to disappoint you, but he was a second generation Afghan immigrant with ties to Islamist organizations.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:12:40 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105416 on: June 12, 2016, 05:59:18 pm »

What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105417 on: June 12, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »

Sorry to disappoint you, but he was a second generation Afghan immigrant with ties to Islamist organizations.
That... doesn't make me feel any better. People are still dead but nur nur religion of peace.

Tru would probably be happier if you two didn't quote her.
Fixed.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105418 on: June 12, 2016, 06:05:39 pm »

That... doesn't make me feel any better. People are still dead but nur nur religion of peace.
I'll neither defend nor attack any position, but every ideology, every group has it's radicals, it's extremists. I can see many ways that holding an entire group responsible for a radical sect's actions can go wrong.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105419 on: June 12, 2016, 06:13:25 pm »

No, I'm not deriding Islam, any more than I was deriding Christianity with my first assumption. I'm angry about people who commit atrocities in the name of religion.
Pages: 1 ... 7026 7027 [7028] 7029 7030 ... 8167