Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6980 6981 [6982] 6983 6984 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449037 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #104715 on: May 05, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

I had one of those "special" programing tests where you write the whole code on paper without touching the computer. Now that I got home I decided to test what I wrote (or what I remember writing at least) and dear God I messed up so bad.

They weren't even small erros like missing a } or ) or whatever. I straight up got whole sections wrong.
E.g. checking if (total % 2 == 0) instead of (i % 2 == 0) or using 'else' instead of 'else if' conditions.
Oof.  That sucks...

I just took one of those myself.  There were too many bloody variables aughwhatwhy.

Been feeling very lonely lately. The medication isn't helping as much as it used to. Its distracting.
*hugs (and just to be clear, platonically.)*

If dropping me a PM would help, you can do that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104716 on: May 05, 2016, 07:44:34 pm »

Been feeling very lonely lately. The medication isn't helping as much as it used to. Its distracting.
Huh, me too. Even though I know there really is no reason for that, the feeling remains.

Maybe I should go for walks more often.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104717 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:04 pm »

Tried to update opera a little bit ago. Or rather, did. Apparently things have changed a lot from the classic version. Almost every single ounce of it bad. My initial response was something that would have fit right into the rage thread (and almost hit the WTF one, but.. there was enough of a notable vulgarity to other word ratio (i.e. something like 1 in 10 of the characters that would have made the post was dedicated to swearing) I realized that was probably a bad idea), but now I'm just kinda'... kinda'. Some goddamn idiot took one of the best browsers on the market and decided to make it another chrome (i.e. complete shit). Like, it literally uses the chrome:// address thing to access the settings. And it, just. Apparently I'm now going to be using the last version of opera that's not just a reskinned chrome, at least until I get around to figuring out if another browser works as well. S'just. You build a rapport with a piece of software, you know? It's good, it's functional, it does what it needs to. It's like a good tool, that's been reliable for you for years. And then someone goes and shoves a steam powered oscillating cactus up its rectum. And you're sitting there staring at its bleeding, mangled code dripping out on the floor and just wondering why. Why would someone do that.

E: Also, to anyone I have recommended Opera to in, like, the last year or something. I am very, very sorry. Consider giving version 12.18 a try -- opera's classic versions, of which that is the latest and the last, are actually decent. The version numbers past that are chrome, reskinned, and just as terrible as chrome because of it. But I'd probably more strongly recommend just not using the browser. Something that screws up that badly should not be rewarded even obliquely.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:24:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104718 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:56 pm »

One of my 4 employees died today.

I can't say I was very close to her, or that I even liked her.  Not that she was necessarily a bad person, but extreme personality conflict made just sitting next to her all day extremely stressful for me.  I wasn't near wishing this on her.

It's just a shock.  Even though she lived about as unhealthy as a person can live without indulging in hard drugs or active self-harm.  Above all, she was asthmaic and smoked excessively.  I knew she wasn't going to live long the way she was going, despite being only 48.  But it's something else to be confronted with that thought as reality after working with her for only 16 months.  And I was surrounded by extremely emotional people all day. 

And my team has shrunk by 2 people in the last month that I won't be able to replace, because our file count is down and our profit per file is down.  But the workload per file continues to skyrocket, with several new reporting steps through an additional web portal to an additional third party being introduced just this week.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104719 on: May 05, 2016, 09:32:43 pm »

*applies hugs*

I...Don't know what to say, but I wish you luck.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104720 on: May 06, 2016, 04:19:05 am »

Huh, me too. Even though I know there really is no reason for that, the feeling remains.

Maybe I should go for walks more often.
Walking alone helps you to feel not lonely?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104721 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:48 pm »

Grandparent has had either stroke or mini-stroke, maybe an hour or two ago. Refuses to go to the doctor, won't let us call ambulance. Coherent enough now he could refuse the EMT if they showed up, and has stated intent to if they come. Not. Not particularly happy at the moment.

Said he might go to the doctor tomorrow, at least, which is something. If it doesn't kill him today. Gods know I'll be pressing for a ER visit, or at least GP or somethin'.

Starting to wonder harder about incompetency proceedings. Coherent and fairly on top of things most of the time, but there's also periods of fairly significant forgetfulness, shit like this, trouble controlling temper, etc., etc. Increasingly less capable of managing personal affairs, increasingly less willing to let people help. Not really sure what to do, largely not in a very good position to do much myself for various reasons, hard to get other relatives to fucking do anything, to a large extent either due to distance or just because the grandparent refuses to act. Things... could be better.
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104722 on: May 06, 2016, 03:07:15 pm »

@Frumple:

I don't want to repeat myself, but...

*applies hugs, wishes luck*

I hope things get better, although it's probably getting to be the point where they don't.
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104723 on: May 06, 2016, 05:05:02 pm »

Well, the good news, at least, is that the EMT-trained family member managed to convince the grandparent to go to the hospital. Turns out they had been getting readings of 600+* from their blood sugar machine for the last two or three days, and had both not told anyone about that, had been lying about how often they were taking it and what returns they were getting, and was badly mistaken about what HI on that machine meant. Said other family member had an EMT-bag, whose machine read ~580 about a half hour after taking an insulin shot, which finally convinced grandparent that it's hospital time. So... yeah. At least they're going where they need to, at the moment. Now it's just waiting to see what the doctors say, which is definitely better than waiting to see if they actually wake up in the morning.

*For reference, the recommended levels for someone with diabetes, which they have, is ~180 at the highest. Still just a bit worried, as you might imagine.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104724 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »

I can't say I was very close to her, or that I even liked her.  Not that she was necessarily a bad person, but extreme personality conflict made just sitting next to her all day extremely stressful for me.  I wasn't near wishing this on her.

Yeah, never feels good to suddenly lose someone like that, even if they're not a close friend.

the workload per file continues to skyrocket, with several new reporting steps through an additional web portal to an additional third party being introduced just this week.

Man if I was involved with that, I'd script the living shit out of it. Anything beats mundane clicking. But idk, middle managers often seem actively threatened by any attempt to make things more efficient from an underling.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104725 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »

the workload per file continues to skyrocket, with several new reporting steps through an additional web portal to an additional third party being introduced just this week.

Man if I was involved with that, I'd script the living shit out of it. Anything beats mundane clicking. But idk, middle managers often seem actively threatened by any attempt to make things more efficient from an underling.

Something I definitely need to train myself up on.  Then the more difficult part is training my 3 remaining employees on how to use whatever solutions I come up with.  They are all of average computer literacy, meaning it takes weeks to come to an understanding with anything beyond a button on the desktop.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104726 on: May 06, 2016, 07:38:29 pm »

I'm never going to be attractive enough to be satisfying....
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104727 on: May 06, 2016, 07:57:23 pm »

Wrong.

There are people out there who would like you as you are right now.

And if it's you you're trying to satisfy, I can tell you that if you keep working at it you will be who you want to be.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:00:27 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104728 on: May 06, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »

Dude, maybe you should stop repeating the date in conjunction with the thing you do not want to associate with that day...

Because, uh, that's kind of how brains work.

:v
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:08:14 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104729 on: May 06, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »

Wrong.

There are people out there who would like you as you are right now.

And if it's you you're trying to satisfy, I can tell you that if you keep working at it you will be who you want to be.
Not unless I transition to female, no.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 6980 6981 [6982] 6983 6984 ... 8167