Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6921 6922 [6923] 6924 6925 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443787 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #103830 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:32 am »

If they were actually good people, they could just (forgot the word) turn over? the ban.
Overturn?

Eh. AFAIK Toady's never un-banned someone before. There is some precedent for people to make a new account a while after being banned though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103831 on: April 03, 2016, 12:34:38 am »

I've... actually never studied with friends, either.  Aside from some help from my dad on some things, I pretty much got through school completely by myself.

I was the kind of person who turned group projects into solo projects and never studied with anyone in high school, but in college it became a necessary survival tactic just because if I didn't, there would be only textbook time and no social time ever.

I retained those habits all the way through college, too.  But I don't think I ever climbed my way up to anything as academically advanced as you.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #103832 on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:21 am »

What sort of world would it be if we could literally punch each other's bad feelings to make them go away?
A world wherein we'd make a martial art out of it. :)
Which...pretty much reminds me of the thoughts and mindset of practitioners--oriented towards understanding of the self, output of performance, harnessing of energy, and other awesome ideas that involve the self and their relation to the environment o_O
In a way, we're already living in such a world. Just not by literally punching other's bad feelings, but by talking and communicating and facing those feelings that give just as much or even better impact than punching them away c:

* Vector decks Tiruin's social anxiety and then runs out of the room again
Thanks a ton, dude :) That helps a lot more than what my words can convey.
*sees academic stuff*
>_>
<.<
I preferred doing individual projects (and even did one when it was required to be a team project...because of difficulty, mainly), because I knew I couldn't work with or lead very well other people because of dat anxiety. I could do well...with myself. .___.
REAL glad college gave me an outlet to branch out.
Felt really uncomfortable at first but I'm glad there are other people to help out ;_;

Relax and phone a friend. Quiz each other. You'll be ok.
I literally have no friends to call/study with at the moment. That...sounds more sad than I think it actually is. :v I never studied with friends in the past, even when I did have friends.
New goal to keep in mind then when ya reconnect? :3

Make flashcards, or an index card, or something.
I never saw the appeal in flash cards. I'm currently just re-reading the textbook chapters and working various word problems as examples. I'd think the primary way index cards help with memorization or study is just by writing things out, which I can do just as well on actual paper rather than little paper cards.
I kept hearing stories from my profs about students acing their exams, armed with only index cards, and pockets in their pants or jackets. It's something I bring around with me everytime now :3 (or if lacking, a 1/4 pad paper because it's nearly the same function, but in a portrait orientation)

Index cards act like visual cues you can bring out when you're re-reading what you're to memorize in thought, because they're like your own personal snippets of insight from textbooks and other academic material--you can write it anyway you want, too! I personally find them very useful; I found them a chore to use at first until I got comfy with how to use it my way :) You can accommodate them to how you understand it, then re-read the source material to ensure you got the idea right, then modify at will.
It's a TON better than rote memory by glazing your eyes on textbooks, IMO. (Also a ton more portable and easily pocketable than textbooks... so yeah. <_>) Better than paper because it's like a ready-made paper already. :P

Reminds me of one tiny time when I was scribbling stuff on that tiny 1/4 pad paper and was mistaken as a reporter at an event. >_<
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:45:49 am by Tiruin »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103833 on: April 03, 2016, 12:43:11 am »

Can't sleep. Listening to music so I'm not alone with my thoughts. Otherwise just waiting for Elder Scrolls Online to download and staring at the wall. Soooooooooooooooo bored.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103834 on: April 03, 2016, 01:01:03 am »

Fever's gone down, but I still feel like crap.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #103835 on: April 03, 2016, 01:16:44 am »

Sad:  I've been defeated by this boss in Agarest: Generations of War 6 times in a row.  I'm doing a good job at not raging over it... but I'm kind of awkwardly wasting my time the last couple hours because I needed to get away from it for a bit, but I don't really want to do anything else.  And yes... to hell with grammar when games are giving me trouble.

Beat it - 7th try

\o/
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103836 on: April 03, 2016, 01:46:22 am »

Flashcards work surprisingly well when you're trying to learn a mass-amount of information for short-term storage.

I learned a lot of Hiragana because of that, though it has gotten a bit weaker and harder to recall since I stopped using it. If you loathe the idea of using actual boxes and flashcards for that, you can go find some programs that do that on their own.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103837 on: April 03, 2016, 01:53:53 am »

It's not really thread appropriate to be glad, but I'm glad to see folks helping each other feel comfortable and welcome in these last few pages. Y'all are great folks, and you do my heart good.

Fever's gone down, but I still feel like crap.

Hope you keep feeling better, dude. :<

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103838 on: April 03, 2016, 02:25:58 am »

Yeah, I hope so too.

All my everything aches, but at least my temperature isn't at delirium inducing levels anymore.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103839 on: April 03, 2016, 02:28:13 am »

Another acquaintance of mine announced they were pregnant. My first (internal) reaction was "You're not going to think it's such a blessed miracle when you swell up like a balloon, you're vomiting and nauseous every other morning and all of your life goals slip away one by one". This was a cause of great mirth for me.

It was then that I realized I might be a pretty fucked up person.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103840 on: April 03, 2016, 02:37:10 am »

Most of the people I reported have been banned.
Mph, this reminds me that I can't shake the feeling that I was probably responsible in part for the banning of a couple of longtime forumites. They (not naming any names) tended to be rather disruptive anyway--there was a sort of unspoken consensus that it was only a matter of time--but the guilt still nags at me sometimes. ._.
If they were actually good people, they could just (forgot the word) turn over? the ban.

Most people who get banned are either repeatedly outrageous after several warnings in a short timespan or actually started flaming Toady One after the initial warning.

I don't tend to report people myself, as I find it more satisfying to use the ignore list. Truly bad apples (people preaching racism, etc...) tend to get b& sooner rather than later anyway...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103841 on: April 03, 2016, 03:16:11 am »

Hiccups. Had them for a few hours now. It's really quite infuriating. Hopefully they go away in time for me to sleep :/
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103842 on: April 03, 2016, 04:55:39 am »

Just decided against enacting my plans for this evening after all. I know I'm going to be mad at myself for this, but I don't have enough spending money to have much fun anyway. Plus, I'm tired- I still haven't had a decent night's sleep since I got back, and I'm feeling pretty crummy. No doubt I'd just stand around awkwardly anyway.

I think it was a wise move to save the $50 I planned on spending tonight.
Still a shame to miss out on the band I wanted to see, though. Haven't seen them live in quite a while. :-\
Well, a few more minutes and I can catch a train back home to mope.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103843 on: April 03, 2016, 05:06:36 am »

Fever is back up to 102.4

Yaaay.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103844 on: April 03, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

Fever is back up to 102.4

Yaaay.
*pats, while wearing hazmat suit*

*also, variously hugs/respects personal space of/punches social anxieties in the groin Caroline/Vector/Tiruin*

Caroline, I wasn't around then, but I can't see how you could have done bannable things.  And I like seeing you around and think you definitely deserve to be here.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:39:04 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6921 6922 [6923] 6924 6925 ... 8167