Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6832 6833 [6834] 6835 6836 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430370 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #102495 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:06 am »

Feeling ill. I just can't seem to get enough water, and the thought of eating anything makes me queasy.
Even spaghetti?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102496 on: February 27, 2016, 07:34:51 am »

But at least with Catholicism, at least with current Pope and general direction it has right now, you won't really be harrased. I remember that we (Poland) had a few really... fanatic priests (like the one that claimed Diablo III was going to turn your children into antichrists or something) in Poland, but ultimately they got excommunicated for being intolerant pricks. That's what you get excommunicated in Roman Catholicism for - being a dick to other people, not because you're gay or someone in your family belives in something else. I guess it just gets a lot of bad fame for crusades, inquisition and burning witches... but that's also proably why they're really focused on tolerance (as in, you'll go to hell anyway but we'll try to not actively ruin your life) these days.

The people who go to churches are a bit different story, as you can totally get ostracized by old fanatic grandmas in smaller rural villages.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102497 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:08 am »

Okay, I know it's not Catholicism, but 15 million people is still a large scale. That's almost one Netherlands.
The Netherlands count as large scale? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102498 on: February 27, 2016, 09:57:39 am »

You can get excommunicated for being too much of a dick or being too accepting. The church doesn't care how you disagree, it enforces its own views. And that enforcement also depends on the whims of church leaders - sure, Francis is pushing a lot of things in the right direction for now, but who knows what the next guy will do?

That's not even mentioning the perverse incentive unified religion creates when enforcing your morals makes your organization look bad, i.e. the pedophilia cover-ups.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #102499 on: February 27, 2016, 10:27:08 am »

Okay, I know it's not Catholicism, but 15 million people is still a large scale. That's almost one Netherlands.
That's about 2.5 hitlers.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102500 on: February 27, 2016, 10:29:45 am »

You can get excommunicated for being too much of a dick or being too accepting.
According to the article he was excommunicated
because of his public teaching on the ordination of women contrary to the teaching of the Church and his public celebration of the Eucharist when he did not hold faculties to act publicly as a priest.
Note two things:
1) Public teaching. The Church doesn't care that he supports the ordination of women privately, hell, it probably doesn't even care that he shares these views - it objects to one of its priests teaching (as a priest, not as some random guy!) that the Church is in the wrong.
2) He celebrated the Eucharist (ie held Mass) when he did not have authorization to do so. This is an incredibly grave offense - kinda like General Ripper ordering Wing Attack Plan R against the explicit wishes of the President. If he really did this, there's no way around his excummunication.

Oh, and later in the article there's this:
He has even reportedly presided at same-sex ceremonies.
Yeah, this isn't just some guy being subjected to a witch-hunt for his deeply-held convictions. This guy had it coming.

EDIT: It just gets better and better:
Australian media also reported that in August 2012 he was present at a Mass where a dog had received Communion, which Fr Reynolds said he was not aware of until after the incident.

That month Archbishop Hart wrote to him warning that if he continued to act publicly as a priest he would “be forced to take further canonical action for the good of the Church”.
Yeah, I'm pro-same sex marriage, I'm pro-ordination of women, I'm as progressive as Catholicism gets, but to this guy I say: Good riddance.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:31:22 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #102501 on: February 27, 2016, 11:09:30 am »

I guess it just gets a lot of bad fame for crusades, inquisition and burning witches...

The last part is quite unfair. The position of the Catholic church is, and always has been, that belief in the existence of witches is heresy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102502 on: February 27, 2016, 11:12:21 am »

@Helgoland:Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102503 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:37 am »

I guess it just gets a lot of bad fame for crusades, inquisition and burning witches...

The last part is quite unfair. The position of the Catholic church is, and always has been, that belief in the existence of witches is heresy.
And Spanish Inquisition was one of the better options you had as a regular Catholic accused of some shit. The Inquisition established such pansy-ass silliness as due process, and the odds of being tortured were smaller than in common court practice, too.

What you should be really worried about was ticking off the civic authorities who didn't give a fuck.

E: Or, for that matter, the Protestants. Who were also out of fucks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:22:09 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102504 on: February 27, 2016, 11:31:02 am »

I was responding to a public figure getting excommunicated with a similar event. As far as private beliefs go, I'd note that the church also doesn't take action against lay Catholics who think LGBT people are evil or that video games will turn your children into demons.

And of course it's horrible to perform a Mass without the Church's permission. That's a rule the Church has in place to maintain its own authority. It seems circular to me; I don't think I'd find that a good justification unless I already thought the Church organization was justified in dictating how people practice their faith.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102505 on: February 27, 2016, 11:39:55 am »

He was kind of an "official" for Church. He could be gay himself and do whatever (as long as it isin't a sin that is bad for everyone, not only priests, like, fucking children) in private, but the fact that he acted in their name and supported stuff that the Church doesn't, that made him get excommunicated. Also, the whole point of Church is being unified, with organization and if you want to be part of it, they are totally justified in dictating you how to practice faith. If you don't like it, they don't hold you, you can go somewhere else (and perform your own Mass, but don't say it's supported by them or mislead people into thinking it is, also that's a pretty bad sin in their book, so...), but don't expect to be happy if you are a part of it and act against it. I don't really like it and a lot of it's practices, but come on, Catholic Church is nowhere as bad as Mormons or other sects, it's not even comparable.
ALSO the Spanish Inquisition gave you a warning if they were going to go and inquisition you, so you could prepare for them and prove your piousness.
B-but...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102506 on: February 27, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »

I was responding to a public figure getting excommunicated with a similar event. As far as private beliefs go, I'd note that the church also doesn't take action against lay Catholics who think LGBT people are evil or that video games will turn your children into demons.

And of course it's horrible to perform a Mass without the Church's permission. That's a rule the Church has in place to maintain its own authority. It seems circular to me; I don't think I'd find that a good justification unless I already thought the Church organization was justified in dictating how people practice their faith.
It's not a matter of justifying their own authority. It's more along the lines of impersonating an officer and beating someone up - if you claim to be a Catholic priest, what you say and how you perform the various churchy things isn't up to you; a Catholic priest is essentially considered to be a mouthpiece for the Catholic Church in general.

If a priest, operating as a Catholic, preaches things contrary to Catholic Church doctrine, he's perverting what his audience is led to believe the position of the Church is.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102507 on: February 27, 2016, 12:56:58 pm »

If a priest, operating as a Catholic priest, preaches things contrary to Catholic Church doctrine, he's perverting what his audience is led to believe the position of the Church is.
Thus, defrocking and excommunication when he continued to do things he shouldn't.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102508 on: February 27, 2016, 06:41:22 pm »

It took a total of 4 hours being home before arguments with my mom. I will say that this was probably the first time I deserved shouting, though. (Putting off an appointment I need to progress my orthodontic care for the past five months, and then this week not making an emergency dental appointment for a gum infection that involved half my mouth swelling to a few times its normal size...I have an intense aversion to dental care and also much pigheadedness. I'm making an appointment this week, though, so no need to lecture me :( )

I give us about 24 hours before we move on from arguing about orthodontic care and get on to arguing about my post-graduate plans. Right on schedule. Yay for school breaks. Let's hope the midterm grades come back decent or I may just retreat to my bed and mope for the rest of the week.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102509 on: February 27, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »

*hugs that are both platonic and conditional upon you taking good care of yourself (do not not go to the dentist!)*
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 6832 6833 [6834] 6835 6836 ... 8167