Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6701 6702 [6703] 6704 6705 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9538088 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100530 on: January 07, 2016, 01:41:40 pm »

How is that the worst possible answer?

The worst possible answer would've been something along the lines of: "No, not in a million years, in fact I'd rather timetravel and date Hitler than consider dating you."
in this case i would actually know more than i did yesterday.

right now i still dont know SHIT, nice payoff for a week of stressing the FUCK out about this, which i know is entirely my fault yadda yadda

That's open ended, it means that she might once she gets time, so tell her: "Ok, well, if you get some free time that you'd want to spend hanging out or something lemme now."
if i get a chance to talk to her again, which i probably wont

And leave it at that, it won't be easy, but for your sake, please, leave it at that, stop obsessing over it, it's not doing you any fucking good whatsoever, trust me, I've been there countless times, you gotta kick yourself out of that vicious cycle any way you can.
right now i feel like i literally cant

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100531 on: January 07, 2016, 01:58:21 pm »

Let me make this easier then. That was a polite "no". If she was interested, she'd find a way to make time.

There, now you can move on.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100532 on: January 07, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »

HAHA I got that answer once.

That really does suck Miauw. But give it time and it'll suck less and you'll find a new crush.

Trust me.

I went through about one every couple of months. Mostly because I kept getting rejected.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100533 on: January 07, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »

haha literally the worst possible outcome

+ 50 social exp.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #100534 on: January 07, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »

I made two pretty good friends! Yay!
And I haven't heard from either since this post, so idk. I guess it's too much to ask for people to reply to anything I say. :-\

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #100535 on: January 07, 2016, 03:15:25 pm »

Dad had a sudden...thing. Not really passing out, but he says he felt dizzy and "disconnected like [he] was about to pass out" and started sweating. He also mentioned stomach or gas pains although I'm not sure how (if at all) those are related. Checking his blood pressure reveals a drop in pressure compared to this morning. He says he's feeling better after laying down a few minutes and says the wort of it has passed.

It's not a stroke, I don't think, since he has no problems talking and hasn't lost any feeling in limbs, hasn't passed out, no headache, etc. Think it could be a TIA (mini-stroke) but can't say for sure. No idea what would cause the blood pressure drop when all the symptoms I can find online for strokes or ministrokes say they cause a blood pressure rise.

Of course the stubborn dumbass refuses to go to a doctor about it because "they'll just send [him] to the emergency room" which he of course refuses to do. He has a doctors appointment tomorrow to check blood stuff like blood pressure and I'm nagging him to ask about this and his chronic coughing, but he's stubborn and stoic and stupid and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't mention any problems at all.

Fuuuuuug I don't know what to do. It could just be that his blood pressure dropped and caused the other symptoms but I don't know why his blood pressure would drop and shiiiiiiiiit why can't he go to a doctor damn it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #100536 on: January 07, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »

I feel like talking to somebody professional would be good.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #100537 on: January 07, 2016, 03:26:19 pm »

Woke my mom up early. Mom has severe anxiety disorder, to the point she can't really go into town or anywhere very distant by herself, so we'd worked out yesterday that her buddy for today would be my sister, so that she could drive me to campus and not have to wait out there until I was out of class (there's a few long and complicated reasons I can't take the bus home). I asked if we could go an hour early, because I wanted to see my girlfriend before she went home for the day.

I woke her up early, and only learned about ten minutes into her fit that my sister wasn't coming. I then tried to insist that she go back to sleep, that she make herself breakfast, do whatever she wanted to do because I didn't want to go an hour early if it meant that she'd have to be there an hour longer.

She kept getting ready, saying all the time things like "I'm gonna be fucking starving because you wanted to go an hour early" and "There's nothing here to fucking eat, I'm not gonna make dinner after sitting out there all day". I can cook enough things to fend for myself and still eat something resembling a meal, but the words and implication hurt more. So I spent my entire morning in tears and feeling like a selfish piece of garbage.

After about an hour of that, some minutes of silence and some pretty forced apologies on the way out to campus, I receive a text from my girlfriend just about as we pull into the parking lot. She left early anyway because she got a ride from her dad.

Fuck this gay earth, fuck life, fuck everything, I'm done, I don't care anymore
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #100538 on: January 07, 2016, 03:34:42 pm »

I feel like talking to somebody professional would be good.
Obviously.

I managed to convince him to either try talking to a doctor about it tomorrow during his blood tests, and if that fails then to try setting up an appointment for it next week. He's blowing it off and saying he feels back to normal now, so I doubt we'd ever convince to go seek immediate medical attention short of duct taping him up and dragging him to the emergency room.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100539 on: January 07, 2016, 03:34:46 pm »

EDIT: Darn, wrong thread.

Now I'll have to stuck up with this sadness black hole forever each time I hit the Show new replies to your posts link. And that makes me sad!

Can't a mod simply erase my post from here?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:38:12 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100540 on: January 07, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »

Spehss, those also sound like heart attack symptoms. Keep a damned close eye on him, and make absolutely sure he mentions it to the doctor tomorrow.

Itisnotlogical, ouch. I know how you feel with that situation. Here's hoping things look up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100541 on: January 07, 2016, 03:48:42 pm »

Let me make this easier then. That was a polite "no". If she was interested, she'd find a way to make time.

There, now you can move on.
This.

miauw, this is actually a fairly good answer - it's definitely a "no", but it also means that she doesn't want to upset you for whatever reason. There are few bad things that can fill in that blank. You can rest assured that not only can you quit worrying, asking has probably not fucked up whatever friendship you have in any way - if it had, there's a good chance she wouldn't have tried to be considerate. The only thing that has changed is that you don't have to tie yourself up in knots with endless "What If" scenarios.

I mean, for all the reasons you listed she did not do a fantastic job of letting you down easy, but what you have to remember is she's no more competent at maneuvering around people's feelings than you are. You did your best, so did she, now you can move on.

tl;dr You did the right thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100542 on: January 07, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »

Was thinking abut that $700 million lottery prize and what I'd do if I won, and it dawned on me that I'm now old enough that it probably makes financial sense to take the lump sum instead of the annuity.

*sigh*

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100543 on: January 07, 2016, 07:04:05 pm »

Hey, with that payout your expected value per ticket is quite possibly actually positive, so you might as well go for it.

I mean, you're still almost certain to lose, but that's beside the point. Also the first sentence depends heavily on the actual game.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100544 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:03 pm »

Listed odds are 1:292,201,338 (for a $2 ticket). So yeah, mathematically, each ticket is about a 2.5-1 expected value gain (assuming a single jackpot winner). I'm surprised they haven't touted this to get more people to play.

"Mathematically, every ticket you buy is worth $5! It's like free money! (that you have to pay for)"

Crazy thing is, if nobody wins the jackpot on Saturday, it'll probably top $1 billion by the next drawing. And it still won't have caught up with The Force Awakens.

Though an article I saw made a good point -- if you win this, you could bankroll your own Star Wars movie (putting aside that pesky issue of copyrights for the moment).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:10:59 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 6701 6702 [6703] 6704 6705 ... 8169