Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Mod Multiple Smelting Product with Yield (with playable Dragons)  (Read 1982 times)

Hari Seldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My Dwarf Fortress Modding Page has both the do-it-yourself mod of the Mayday Graphics Edition, and the fully pre-modded ready-to-go "full version"

This mod features:
Minerals mod 1.76 by Sean Mirrsen (which Includes the Melting Points Mod's info I think)
Dig Deeper 1.3 by the community
plant mod by Morlark
plant mod by Dwarmin
botany mod 2 by Chariot
angler mod by Chariot
dendrology mod by Sean Mirrsen and Deon
SpellCraft by darius, note that Attraction Rune attracted successfully but did not get the Dwarves to pick the item up

Playable Dragons (in Adventure Mode)
Improved smelting idea (different ores produce different products)
ex: there are 2 titanium ores in this mod
rutile is TiO2
Ilmenite is FeTiO3

Smelting rulite produces 1 bar of Titanium (Ti), and very importantly:

Smelting Ilmenite produces 1 bar of Titanium (Ti) and 1 bar of Iron (Fe) via the Kroll process (well actually it produces less titanium and iron than that because smelting titanium is so hard at this tech level (oxidizing with chlorine ionic gas from molten table salt in Magma furnace then reducing the titanium chloride with molten/ionic Na will get this done but it involves chlorine gas ... this isn't hard for alchemical-level technology since I believe that the Na and Cl are a molten liquid and a gas respectively so they are easy to distinguish without knowing the periodic table, and it probably wasn't done in real life in the middle ages because humans don't have magma furnaces for cost-effective high-temperature furnaces at medieval tech level) but anyway that's the general idea).

PLAN FOR THE FUTURE:
Create realistic smelting like the example smelt above, and really consider the yield the Dwarves might get of each product.  This is actually pretty simple programming just lots of research.  This thread can discuss this as part of that research  8).

If there is some these-mods-aren't GPL probelm, then I'll tell you that Step 1 of the mod is applying the Minerals Mod, and Step 2 is carefully integrating Dig Deeper, then all of the other mods are simple addons.  The Dragons you can mod in pretty easily, I use Dig Deeper's different colored dragons, then make them a Adventurable Civ with a starting population of zero.  Don't worry, that Draconic Civ is invisible even in Legends and all Dragons are still the same old Megabeasts that they always were.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:47:59 am by Hari Seldon »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait...
You have a working tutorial to apply grafix?

HELL YES!
(Also, the whole Dig Deeper + Minerals mod intrigues me greatly)

Hari Seldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I like Minerals + Dig Deeper, too  8)

As for the graphics, those are Mike Mayday's not mine (and the dwarf fortress wiki has a whole bunch of graphic tileset choices), which you can download from the link in my previous post.

Actually the other thing I was going to do was add [SKILL:MINING] to the Dragons' Claws and that would (hopefully?) give Dragons the ability to dig, at the cost of not practicing their Wrestling when using their claws.  But I decided not to since Toady One was already working on improving Siege right now.

I just found out that you can specify the types of metals in ores in the stone tokens as well so I have to figure out how to combine that ideal yield with smelting yield in the smelting tokens as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:41:17 am by Hari Seldon »