Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: 2012  (Read 9383 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2009, 04:02:39 pm »

It's just a topy.  It could happen to anydoby.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2009, 04:49:06 pm »

Blah blah history channel blah blah
They did some pretty good stuff on King Arthur recently.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:14 am »

Blah blah history channel blah blah
Blah blah King Arthur blah blah.

What the heck does this, 'King Arthur' fellow have to do with Mayans and the 2012 doomsday?!
Regarding 2012 ill just quote one of my favourite aussie songwriters of all time...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cookie for anyone who knows who it is.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:07 am »

...is it Muse? I only say this because you used to always talk about Muse (I do not know who/what Muse is).
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 05:44:16 am »

Muse are British.

And he probably means by favourite aussie songwriters oh I dunno.

The majority of the Australian population? It's a fairly widespread phrase.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 06:16:55 am »

Really? I've heard it a few times, but far less often than i hear 'Bullshit' or even 'Pull the other one mate, it's got bells on.'

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:01 am »

Widespread as in well known, not necessarily used often.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:10 am »

Ah, i see.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:00 am »

2012 sounds like the Mayan version of Y2K. Too bad we can't make their calendars compatible.

But if the world does end, I'd just say that it's been great knowing all of you.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2009, 10:16:05 am »

A slightly more retarded version of the apocalypse on 2012 that I've heard is that we're going to flip over the horizontal axis of the universe, and magnetism will stop working.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2009, 11:13:31 am »

A slightly more retarded version of the apocalypse on 2012 that I've heard is that we're going to flip over the horizontal axis of the universe, and magnetism will stop working.
That sounds like someone misunderstanding the fact that we may (by some reckoning) be overdue for a polar flip, where the Earth's magnetic poles swap over.  (That's a summary.  It's more complex, anyway.)

Depending on how fast it happens, we could be without a magnetosphere, and possibly unprotected from the ionised particles coming off of the Sun, in the solar wind, while it's 'off' (though if it just rotates around, should be no problem).

As geoological records only show it happening, this might happen very quickly or over a number decades (it's all "instant" by geological timescales).  Expect migrating birds and hikers to get lost, unless they (the latter at least) are using GPS, in which case they might get away with it if the solar winds/other effects don't start to skuttle all the satelites.  Also depends how much warning we have (we already keep track of the drift of the Magnetic North Pole, and occasionally someone says they think it's weakening) and thus whether we can prepare ourselves/our way of life against the situation.

Really a kind of Poor Man's Doomsday Scenario.  Apart from the occasional navigation accident (and an increased risk of cancer?) it won't end the world, but Things Would Change (TM).  All the really interesting solar flare stuff (i.e. Coronal Mass Ejections heading straight for the Earth) cause problems despite (because of?) the magnetic field, anyway and could fry the electricity grids and/or unshielded electronic devices on half the Earth's surface if the planet happened to wander directly in front of one.  (Again, a summary, and not a little quoting the doomsayers while holding back on the obvious refutations to the argument.)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2009, 03:24:00 pm »

2012 sounds like the Mayan version of Y2K. Too bad we can't make their calendars compatible.
2012 is actually the western version of Y2K.  I know, it doesn't make much sense.  But apocolypse is a western idea.  If you tried explaining it to the Mayans who made the calander, they'd look at you funny (even if you were speaking their language, and looked like a mayan yourself).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2009, 03:47:32 pm »

That sounds like someone misunderstanding the fact that we may (by some reckoning) be overdue for a polar flip, where the Earth's magnetic poles swap over.  (That's a summary.  It's more complex, anyway.)

Depending on how fast it happens, we could be without a magnetosphere, and possibly unprotected from the ionised particles coming off of the Sun, in the solar wind, while it's 'off' (though if it just rotates around, should be no problem).

As geoological records only show it happening, this might happen very quickly or over a number decades (it's all "instant" by geological timescales).  Expect migrating birds and hikers to get lost, unless they (the latter at least) are using GPS, in which case they might get away with it if the solar winds/other effects don't start to skuttle all the satelites.  Also depends how much warning we have (we already keep track of the drift of the Magnetic North Pole, and occasionally someone says they think it's weakening) and thus whether we can prepare ourselves/our way of life against the situation.

Really a kind of Poor Man's Doomsday Scenario.  Apart from the occasional navigation accident (and an increased risk of cancer?) it won't end the world, but Things Would Change (TM).  All the really interesting solar flare stuff (i.e. Coronal Mass Ejections heading straight for the Earth) cause problems despite (because of?) the magnetic field, anyway and could fry the electricity grids and/or unshielded electronic devices on half the Earth's surface if the planet happened to wander directly in front of one.  (Again, a summary, and not a little quoting the doomsayers while holding back on the obvious refutations to the argument.)

Doesnt' the earth's magnetic field switching take, like a couple hundred thousand years?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:43 pm »

It's moving at the moment, so yes.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »

Doesnt' the earth's magnetic field switching take, like a couple hundred thousand years?

Sort of. Sometimes it 'flips' very rapidly by geological standards, which could be anything from nigh instantainious to a century or two.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11