Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 2012  (Read 9379 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2012
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

I mean the Nostradamus And Hitler channel.
!!&!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:29 am »

Sometimes they do World War 1 as well, just to shake things up a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 08:47:13 am »

Reading wikipedia's article on the 2012 phenomenon, apparantly most of the 2012 hype is a viral ad campaign for the movie.
There's a movie?  Well, I was going to say that it was a bit of a pointless campaign, at least as far as letting me know, but then again it appears to have succeeded through the medium of your message, so maybe it has worked.  (Partially.  Apart from it probably being about "the end of the world in 2012", I neither know now care to know anything else about it, right now...  If it gets my bum on a cinema seat it'll have to be through some other means.)

/off the usual advertising radar, it seems.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:14 am »

It should just be readily known that the movie has almost nothing to do with the real hype, and that the movie, if anything is just exploiting already existent nonsense.
!!&!!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2009, 11:17:14 am »

As indicated above, I'd be surprised if anyone cares.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2009, 08:05:25 pm »

In a side comment to my earlier post, if the mayans were gonna make a calendar that went as far as the apocolypse, wouldn't it have ended with the arrival of the spanish?  just askin
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2009, 10:57:19 pm »

Well, no. Because, as the Original Post points out, the Maya are still around.
!!&!!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2009, 11:05:34 pm »

The movie by this title looks like shit.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2009, 02:57:45 am »

Well, no. Because, as the Original Post points out, the Maya are still around.

Their descendants are, but i'm pretty sure the culture identified as "Mayan" is gone. Isn't it?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »

You could say the same thing about Americans. We're not the same culture we were 200 years ago, are we?

They speak the same language, they've revived the old writing system after it was finally decoded. If you care to simply google Modern Maya, you can get quite a wealth of information about the Yucatan Maya peoples. Their religion is a mix of Catholic and ancient traditional beliefs, and they hold deep respect for the ancient Maya accomplishments.
!!&!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2009, 07:14:57 pm »

You could say the same thing about Americans. We're not the same culture we were 200 years ago, are we?

True, but there's a solid and clear line of cultural evolution from the American culture 200 years ago  to the American culture now. The same cannot be said for the modern Mayan culture.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2009, 08:18:58 pm »

Uhm, no. Just because there aren't good written records (my ancestors burned them all), does not mean that there is not a an unbroken line of decent, of families, of culture. The modern Maya, in many places in the Yucatan, live as their ancestors did after the collapse of the pre-colonial society, and during the post-colonial period.

Just because their records were kept in oral traditions, just because their culture was interfered with by the Spanish, does not mean that there is no clear line from the past to present. It's not as if all the Maya died, and then suddenly there were more later.
!!&!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2009, 10:10:01 pm »

Actually i was under the impression that the culture was dead for a century or so and was later picked up by the descendants.

I will admit i am neither educated in what occured to the Mayan culture, and nor do i really care.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2009, 10:49:39 am »

I'm noticing a distinct lack of discussion of one of the best albums of a Canadian prog band and lots of discussion about a calendar that someone got bored of writing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:26:00 am by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »

You mean lots, Maggarg.  Not lost.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11