Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Life of a Carp Mod Possibility?  (Read 1794 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Life of a Carp Mod Possibility?
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:36:26 am »

Would it be possible to make a mod where not only do you play as a carp, but you always start in a body of water. That would be the only foreseeable problem, is that you would start on land and suffocate right off the bat.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Re: Life of a Carp Mod Possibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:04:32 am »

Not possible to build in water in fortress mode.
Meh.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:58:43 am »

That wasn't what I was asking or aiming for. Its for adventure mode, not fortress.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:04:07 am »

That wasn't what I was asking or aiming for. Its for adventure mode, not fortress.

Or just make Carp amphibi-
OH GOD NO.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:18:33 am »

:-[

That would end the world.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:54:43 am »

Note to self: Kill off the wizards who thought up the amphibeous carp.

Note to self: Scratch that, Since even orcs are afraid of carps train the land walkers and set as defensce.

Side note: If you could mod them to be assigned as dogs even a cripple hunter could clear the map.

KFJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 11:14:42 am »

Hmm, how do I go about making a fish amphibious? I'm quite new to this, so do excuse me :P

And I "Guess" that one could make a carp race for adventure mode, you just have to make them excellent swimmers, right?

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 11:40:02 am »

You could make your main entrance flanked by long ponds, filled with amphieous carp... shit. How about 4/7 water with chained carp. Put it in a depressoion with ramps. Oh shit.

But think about the horror as you attempt to catch the carp to train them...

*thinks of fleeing hunters and trappers drowning and being mauled in both land and water*
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:50:48 pm »

Well, catching them shouldn't be too hard. Build cage traps (and a floodgate) in a channel leading to your future chain area, then breach the river. Hopefully the current should push carp into the traps.. Then, drain to 4/4, tame, and chain. Not that I've tested it, though.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Vynergy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 07:48:00 pm »

You wouldn't even need land... You'd just need to be a carp, in a giant river, with a whole civilization of dwarves. It'd take 30 seconds or so to finish, but still.
"I can only think of one game that allows me to genocide anything through needlessly advanced death-traps for great profit.

That game is Dwarf Fortress."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:18 am »

You can, though, it would be strange for a fish just flopping around on the ground and murder Urist McAdamantineClad.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:40:52 am »

My question still hasn't been answered. Is there a way to force you to start in water, that way the carp doesn't suffocate.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 04:04:43 am »

You could make it amphibous with the tag and I think they have [IMMOBILE_LAND] so get rid of that, hop into the water, save and get the carp back to the original state and I think it will work. Not too sure.

Oh and I was thinking of making a carp evoulotion mod, with amphibous carp civs and megabeast carp. But then I realised what I'd done.
Meh.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 07:08:46 am »

But hey, get away from the generic Carp cliché. After all, it's their dragging of dwarves into water which makes them deadly. And their slightly overkill Bite attack.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 07:15:02 am »

Or maybe it's the fact that RL carp

Get huge! :o

EDIT: accidentally used a url tag boooo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:19:44 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: [1] 2