Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34084 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #285 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:24 pm »

Toady should sue and force them to put money towards a 3D MMO Dwarf Fortress  :P

Only problem is that'll take time out of the DF here...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:29 pm »

To admit I am curious to see what would happen if Toady just happened by a ton of cash... but I don't have the income to test it

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »

The Dwarves in this game are VERY DF-influenced. Someone might have said this already, but I laughed my ass off when I read that the dwarf city started as an outpost founded by seven dwarves, each of whom was of a different profession.

There's also an NPC named "Idle Dwarf"  :P

It was the lava which made me go: DFFFFFFF

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2009, 02:01:48 am »

Right, because lava has never before been used in connection with dwarves outside of DF.  Also, Tarn Adams pioneered use of the word "Idle" and invented the concept of an expeditionary force of Seven Dwarves.

Now mind you, I haven't actually played this, so I can't comment on the thematic elements that relate to Dwarf Fortress.  There may very well be a significant influence, programmers seem to like DF for some odd reason.  However, judging from the examples provided, I'd have to say y'all are maybe reading just a teensy bit too much into it...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »

Right, because lava has never before been used in connection with dwarves outside of DF.  Also, Tarn Adams pioneered use of the word "Idle" and invented the concept of an expeditionary force of Seven Dwarves.

Now mind you, I haven't actually played this, so I can't comment on the thematic elements that relate to Dwarf Fortress.  There may very well be a significant influence, programmers seem to like DF for some odd reason.  However, judging from the examples provided, I'd have to say y'all are maybe reading just a teensy bit too much into it...

When you walk into the dwarven city and there is lava falls with giant statues of dwarves. They worship other dwarves who make significant advances or discover things..

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2009, 05:44:57 pm »

None of which are actual features of dwarves in dwarf fortress. That's how players have decided they act, but dwarven cities are not generated with lava falls and giant statues and I've never seen a dwarf worship another dwarf. These are all attributes we've given them as we play and they're basically inside jokes to the community.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:15 pm »

And all the dwarves I've encountered in fantasy settings have had both a penchant for building exceptionally large statues of their own kind, and a deep-rooted respect for their ancestors.  If not all-out ancestor worship.

And lavafalls have appeared in various different things over the course of time.  Still not exactly common, but they're still not endemic to Dwarf Fortress.

Now, it's the stuff that DF has that nobody else has that truly makes it unique (doi).  Find someone serving masterful kitten tallow biscuits, or a spiky sword made out of leather, and you'll be able to claim it's related to DF.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2009, 12:00:09 am »

Or cannabalistic mass-reproducing Elves zerg rushing nearby human kingdoms.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 31, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »

BUMP OF THE HYPER RED DEVIL FIST

Picked this up during the post-Christmas specials for a song and a dance (during which an appropriate amount of change fell out of my wallet) and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. Played a few hours on a Dwarven Commoner Warrior, but I mispent my talents and started afresh on a Dwarf Noble Rogue. Certainly one of the greatest origins for RPG protagonists in quite a while. Double-dealin' back-stabbin' honour-defendin' - it's good to be a Dwarf.

Current party is Alastair (specced for tanking), Dog (named Barkypants) and Wynne, about halfway through the Broken Circle quest. Just learnt to turn myself into a Dream Mouse.

It's not quite KotOR for me, but damn if it isn't good.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2010, 05:04:53 am »

Goddammit.  I want to finish this game.  I only need to do the Forest, and I can get to endgame or whatever.

But the forest looks SO BORING.  Plus, it's starting to get a mite old now.

I took a Dorf Commoner too, but I went for Rogue instead.  My very first "real" battle - the three guys in that first room out of the cells, right? - I stepped on some traps, and then the guys from the little bend around the corner in addition to the dudes in the room right there came out to fight the double-Rogue party.

Leske was in front because he had a bigger stamina/constitution/whatever than I had, but he got hit SO MUCH he sucked up a poultice like every other turn.  He eventually went down, and I only had like one poultice left for me.  I think I managed to get all but one before I went down.  I think I only had utility skills at that point, so that's not too shabby, really.

Orzammar I did second to last.  ROCK TUNNELS EVERYWHERE got pretty old quick.  I pissed off my sister, which sucked, and I guess I also doomed Orzammar, due to not destroying that thing.  I guess slowly losing a battle of attrition was what I was supposed to pick?

Last I had it, my party was: My PC, Natia, super dual-wieldan rogue with a silver tongue and mad lockpicking skills (Duelist/Ranger, though next to no points in either); Alistair, Sword and shield tank in Dragonplate (Crusader/Champion - sucks up pain like a boss, but also has minimal specialization skills), Wynne for mad healing and Petrify/Stonefist shatteran (I don't think I specialized her yet, I only have shapeshifter unlocked :\ ), and CREDIT TO TEAM Morrigan, who kills everything ever with Winter's Grasp.  Also Cone of cold, Sleep/Nightmare, those GIANT AoE spells for lightning and cold, Mind Blast, and all that other good stuff.  I'm not sure if I specialized her either, actually.

Also, Morrigan is our herbalist.  Alistair has a couple levels in Nature and traps, so he's also our radar I guess.  Natia loev Alistair.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2010, 05:23:27 am »

Goddammit.  I want to finish this game.  I only need to do the Forest, and I can get to endgame or whatever.

But the forest looks SO BORING.  Plus, it's starting to get a mite old now.

I took a Dorf Commoner too, but I went for Rogue instead.  My very first "real" battle - the three guys in that first room out of the cells, right? - I stepped on some traps, and then the guys from the little bend around the corner in addition to the dudes in the room right there came out to fight the double-Rogue party.

Leske was in front because he had a bigger stamina/constitution/whatever than I had, but he got hit SO MUCH he sucked up a poultice like every other turn.  He eventually went down, and I only had like one poultice left for me.  I think I managed to get all but one before I went down.  I think I only had utility skills at that point, so that's not too shabby, really.

Orzammar I did second to last.  ROCK TUNNELS EVERYWHERE got pretty old quick.  I pissed off my sister, which sucked, and I guess I also doomed Orzammar, due to not destroying that thing.  I guess slowly losing a battle of attrition was what I was supposed to pick?

Last I had it, my party was: My PC, Natia, super dual-wieldan rogue with a silver tongue and mad lockpicking skills (Duelist/Ranger, though next to no points in either); Alistair, Sword and shield tank in Dragonplate (Crusader/Champion - sucks up pain like a boss, but also has minimal specialization skills), Wynne for mad healing and Petrify/Stonefist shatteran (I don't think I specialized her yet, I only have shapeshifter unlocked :\ ), and CREDIT TO TEAM Morrigan, who kills everything ever with Winter's Grasp.  Also Cone of cold, Sleep/Nightmare, those GIANT AoE spells for lightning and cold, Mind Blast, and all that other good stuff.  I'm not sure if I specialized her either, actually.

Also, Morrigan is our herbalist.  Alistair has a couple levels in Nature and traps, so he's also our radar I guess.  Natia loev Alistair.
Actually, not destroying the anvil doesn't really doom Orzammar. If you sided with Bhelen then he'll end up beating the darkspawn back to the dead trenches. Also, the forest is kind of boring but it's not the worst area, after you gather all the treaties there's still plenty of fun to be had before the game ends.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2010, 09:48:19 am »

Oh, crap, BHELEN saves the Dwarves?  I put Harrowmont on the throne.  I have DOUBLE DOOMED the Dwarves.  D:

And it might not be the worst area in the game, but the early parts of it sure doesn't show it.  Running aroudn the place, finding all the quests and crap around the camp, I find out that all the elves are really goddamn lame.  When I finally get out of there and into the forest, the FIRST encounter is a bunch of crappy wolves, and I think to myself, "man I don't want to slog through a sea of stupid wolves to get to the next plot point/area/whatever", and then I just stopped there.

I liked that the forest was kinda haunted/corrupted, which was new and interesting, I guess, and I remember seeing a werewolf's face in some screenshot (looked hilarious, as I recall) but I was just tired of it already.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »

goddamn fucking sloth demon shit balls

hey let's throw you into the Fade and make you do a whole bunch of pointless shit AND OH YEAH you can't pick up any items whatsoever so ha ha there goes your healing items boy have fun PLUS THREE GOLEM RUSH TAKE THAT BITCH but hey at least we'll let you turn into a mouse SOUNDS FAIR

oh and this boss is five bosses in one ain't that grand

Ugh. Just finished that part and man am I glad to be back in the land of the living.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »

Harrowmond wants to keep the status quo with dwarves remaining in their castes, only moving up via becoming a paragon. Bhelen wants to undo this system for a more democratic process. Didn't you talk to that one merchant?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2010, 05:01:38 pm »

...Uhh, I dunno.  I probably just ignored him.

OH GOD NO WHAT HAVE I DOOOOONE.

Time to replay Orzammar.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23