Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34104 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2009, 02:05:26 pm »

It gets significantly easier later on though, since you become high level and everything else is the level meant to give you an asskicking when you were a lowbie. Or it might be because my tank has dragon full plate and can solo most bosses. In fact, it usually ends up with my tank soloing most bosses as the rest of the party members are all dead.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2009, 03:37:39 pm »

Eh, I started my 1st play on hard. 
There were a few times I get wiped, its mostly from magic.  My bane.

I went straight to the part with the fade after I got the map... had to bring it down to casual during that... 

And I guess I'm keeping it down to normal from now on since any presence of mage = I get nuked to hell within the first 15 seconds of combat on hard...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »

now that the toolset's been out for a day or two..there's already a solution to the horrible crippling Bioware put on storage, that required you to get Warden's Keep just to have somewhere to put extra stuff. Lol

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 11, 2009, 05:25:54 pm »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:08:01 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

igdfilm

« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2009, 12:53:12 am »

I am seriously getting this... but should I buy it on Steam for PC or for PS3? Gah, I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:45:13 pm by igdfilm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2009, 12:56:22 am »

While this game is hardly bad, it actually makes me respect Neverwinter Nights that much more.

If I had to pick the largest fault in this game I would probably say it is its Scaling system.

It really reminds you every second your playing that it is a game... which is a bad thing.

The second largest is hard to think of... it is either the feeling of being cripplingly destitute (with overpriced shops) or the bad class balance... though the crippling AI stupidity may have to win this (Rogue's for example don't try to get criticles)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:13:48 am by Neonivek »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2009, 02:30:59 am »

Rogue AI is better off as archer.

As for the rest, you have to put effort into making em smarter...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2009, 02:38:49 am »

Yeah, I gave the game back to my friend I borrowed it from.

Properly specced mages just tear through the game even on nightmare. Don't get me started on a properly built Blood mage or arcane warrior.

The game plays itself, it is masturbating!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2009, 08:11:58 am »

If you don't have an Arcane Warrior or a mage then the game becomes nearly impossible.

Even then you need quite a few mass spells.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50:08 am »

If you don't have an Arcane Warrior or a mage then the game becomes nearly impossible.

Even then you need quite a few mass spells.

You mean like your character must be a mage or you nead at least one mage in party? If first, I do not agree, if second, you are right, but exaggerate.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:02 pm »

No no no, you don't have to be a mage yourself to do well (though it makes the first part of the game that much harder)

What happens if you don't have a mage on your team is you end up burning through your healing items or are simply over-run.

Though I heard Arcane Warriors can actually replace mages but they are hardly balanced.

3 mages are a viable strategy... no mages are not (except for Arcane Warriors)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:28 pm »

2 mages (one shapeshifter with lot of attack spells and simple heal spell and one spirit healer with a few attack spells) and 2 tanks works best for me. I however must visit each location at least twice to unlock all the chests but...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2009, 02:45:51 pm »

Yeah the locked chests is another negative point of the game

I don't like Rogues... but the Mysteriously indestructable chests are so numberous that it almost forces you to.

Honestly how many chests ARN'T locked? How many can even be unlocked by a Rogue with level 2 lockpicking?

I know it shouldn't but this game constantly reminds me of how good I had it with Neverwinter Nights.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:43 pm »

The second largest is hard to think of... it is either the feeling of being cripplingly destitute (with overpriced shops) or the bad class balance... though the crippling AI stupidity may have to win this (Rogue's for example don't try to get criticles)

Most of us here are roguelike players, after all. It's a single-player game. Who says classes have to be balanced?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2009, 02:55:46 pm »

There is a difference Rabek. When you play those roguelikes they are intentionally unbalanced and the player is expected to realise this (Nethack manual if I remember correctly even lists a great starting class)

Though that is simplification... Honestly if you don't know what is wrong with inbalance and all you can say is "Rogue-like!" then goodness where do I start?

No I am not being rhetorical... where do you want me to start?

Do you want me to talk about the disturbance of the difficulty system by the introduction of classes that are either too weak or too powerful?

Do you want me to talk about the limitation of player choices according to what is "Appropriate"?

Do you want me to talk about the intrusion on plot by game mechanics?

Even Roguelikes need to be balanced believe it or not. You can't have a class that is too easy or too difficult to use.

Too easy and you lose the main draw of Roguelikes which is crippling spoiler based difficulty

Too difficult and you rely too much on the luck aspect of the crippling spoiler based difficulty.

Edit addition: UGH I am more frustrated then I should be. Sorry for using such a harsh tone and bad way to conduct an arguement. I'd edit it but I assume we both can handle  this rhetoric as tactless as it is. Unless you wish me to edit it.... In which case I guess I could.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:10:24 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23