Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34087 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2009, 04:06:11 pm »

Don't you get those armor in the game already? I know I'm wearing dragon full plate and it's amazing.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2009, 05:35:44 pm »

Don't you get those armor in the game already? I know I'm wearing dragon full plate and it's amazing.

That is only disadvantage when playing as a mage ... Your Dragon Armour will be wearing some member of your team, not you
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 10, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »

That is only disadvantage when playing as a mage ... Your Dragon Armour will be wearing some member of your team, not you

In Soviet Russia, armor wears you?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 10, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »

This is a Dragon Armor. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is made from dragon bone. This object menaces with spikes of bone. The spikes is adorned with bits of Alistair.
The object is covered in blood.

Make an arcane warrior and wear it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:59:22 pm by Ivefan »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »

Damn you foreign language :D

I meant that the armour will be weared by Alistair
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »

Yeah, DLC armors are great. Except when they're not. Neverwinter Nights managed to sell tons of money in the form of two expansion packs, and Premium Campaigns- even with the presence of the toolset. Oblivion also managed to sell tons of DLC, again in the presence of an editor. And now EA expects you to pay extra cash for better armor? It used to be no-one cared.

Come on, you haven't forgotten the toolset, have you?

It took me about two minutes to do that. Don't settle for less, guys.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:33 pm »

Notice:  Duplicate effects will only increase level requirement, they provide no greater benefit.

So you'll still only have the +20 AC bonus, but the level requirement for that effect will be applied twice.

Doesn't really matter though...  Just having "Damage Reduction: +20 Soak 50 damage" will already just about max out level requirements.

How the hell do I remember that?  I can't even remember the last time I used the toolset...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »

Ah, but what I bet you don't remember is that level requirements are easily turned off in the options menu, and default to that. In fact there's even a loading screen suggesting you play without level requirements for items.  ;D
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2009, 08:05:24 pm »

I remember there being an option for servers to play without level requirements, but other than that I can't say I've seen anything of the sort.

What all are you playing with?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »

I remember there being an option for servers to play without level requirements, but other than that I can't say I've seen anything of the sort.

What all are you playing with?
The first expansion turned off level requirements by default, and there was a way to change it off the bat as well, though I forget the details.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »

Yeah, DLC armors are great. Except when they're not. Neverwinter Nights managed to sell tons of money in the form of two expansion packs, and Premium Campaigns- even with the presence of the toolset. Oblivion also managed to sell tons of DLC, again in the presence of an editor. And now EA expects you to pay extra cash for better armor? It used to be no-one cared.

Come on, you haven't forgotten the toolset, have you?

It took me about two minutes to do that. Don't settle for less, guys.

DLC Armor supposedly has flavor, are in the canon universe, and balanced. Clearly why you need to pay money for that armor rather than make your own.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:47 pm »

Flavor- there's a ton of ways to customize the armor, plus hack packs made by the community, and a 3DS plugin (sans aforementioned packs). The armor actually consists of up to 16 models (each of which you choose from a list of 24-82 options, in vanilla) and six color layers, in which you can change the reflectivity as well as color, and come stocked with proper textures.

That's to say nothing of the fact that I or anyone else can open up the vanilla campaign and insert into the 'canon' universe, plus being usable online without errors (as long as the server has that module, clients don't have problems, and many have a script that removes god-items from starting characters).

Plus, there's absolutely nothing stopping me from making proper flavor text, which causes it to make sense within the campaign, or even a sidequest, etc. I could easily throw a book into the early loot tables that tells of the mythical dragon armor.

And you're attacking me for not balancing it? I can balance it easily. That was just a 60-second demonstration deal. It sounds like I could in fact add this armor (granted, not having added thoughtfully balanced stats) to the campaign faster than it takes a lot of people to download the Dragon Age DLC, from what I hear.

tl;dr: I do not, nor does anyone else need to pay money -especially for a single item- to have balanced, flavor armor that exists in the canon. Hell, I could add one of the example artifacts from my 3.5 book that's lying around, if I wanted to.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2009, 06:49:29 am »

Wait. What? Who payed for the dragon armour? It came free with the game. :S

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »

Flavor- there's a ton of ways to customize the armor, plus hack packs made by the community, and a 3DS plugin (sans aforementioned packs). The armor actually consists of up to 16 models (each of which you choose from a list of 24-82 options, in vanilla) and six color layers, in which you can change the reflectivity as well as color, and come stocked with proper textures.

That's to say nothing of the fact that I or anyone else can open up the vanilla campaign and insert into the 'canon' universe, plus being usable online without errors (as long as the server has that module, clients don't have problems, and many have a script that removes god-items from starting characters).

Plus, there's absolutely nothing stopping me from making proper flavor text, which causes it to make sense within the campaign, or even a sidequest, etc. I could easily throw a book into the early loot tables that tells of the mythical dragon armor.

And you're attacking me for not balancing it? I can balance it easily. That was just a 60-second demonstration deal. It sounds like I could in fact add this armor (granted, not having added thoughtfully balanced stats) to the campaign faster than it takes a lot of people to download the Dragon Age DLC, from what I hear.

tl;dr: I do not, nor does anyone else need to pay money -especially for a single item- to have balanced, flavor armor that exists in the canon. Hell, I could add one of the example artifacts from my 3.5 book that's lying around, if I wanted to.

It was scarsam actually, not attacking. And it is true that I adopt support for fanon being canon if it isn't contradicted by the offical canon universe. But it still isn't exactly fully in the "canon" universe since the developers has the chance to overrule the existence of that item whenever they want. If they want to say that Iron Man Armor doesn't exist and can never exist, then they have the right. They may never excerise that right though, so your Iron Man Armor will still remain in the vanilla campagin, but they do have that right.

And the reason that I mention balance is that I highly expect Bioware to spends LOTS of time and money to make sure that an item they put into the game is heavily balanced. That's part of the reason why it cost money: it must have taken time and effort to make the item powerful enough to be useful, and yet not that powerful enough to break the game. I'm sure you could balance the item easily, but it takes valuable time, you know.

EDIT: Oh, and by flavor, I mean the reason why the item in the story. Flavor information about the Iron Man Armor and why it is inside the world of Dragon Age.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:40:07 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 11, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and by flavor, I mean the reason why the item in the story. Flavor information about the Iron Man Armor and why it is inside the world of Dragon Age.

He was fighting Dr. Doom and while fighting they were magically transported into the Dragon Age universe.  It was probably from a blood mage dabbling with too much power and a fluctuation in the Fade.  There will be a quest to figure it all out.  Like you want to know the story and just don't want the uber armor. 

While in Dragon Age land, both Doom and Iron Man decided to quit fighting, sit down and talk like civilized beings.  Once they took their first drink, they were magically teleported back home without their armor.  The teleportation god wanted them to lay aside their differences and have peace, and when they put aside their hatred for one another they were teleported back.  So my question is, "Where is the Doom armor?" not "Why is there Iron Man armor?"

Anyway, Dragon Age is one of the best games I have played in a while.  On normal level, I am getting killed a lot.  I can't recall a mainstream game in recent years that killed me over and over.  It's great fun.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23