Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34049 times)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2009, 01:09:11 pm »

I was a little bit blind sided by the twist though.  I was expecting it to happen differently. :(
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2009, 03:25:55 pm »

So I found out that tactics pretty much make or breaks the difficulty. If you're not doing well you're probably needing better utilization of the \ screen. This is all on nightmare.

I tried an experiment, where I programmed my mage to focus on healing as a first priority, then petrifying bosses and > elites, sleeping melee attackers, buffs to reduce spell and regular damage, stone armor, and exploding those far away with nukes so I wouldn't friendly fire. I focused the warriors on taunting and shieldbash/knockdown chaining.

Now I CAN leave my mage run with the AI, while I run around as warrior taunting everywhere and shield bashing.

I probably still wouldn't start nightmare without a decent mage though. :/

The story itself is alright so far(haven't played much), if you can sneak away a bit of disbelief at how conveniently things fall together or apart, or how stupid some people are or plot devices that force you into situations despite the choices you make.

EDIT: Also if you have a legit copy, new patch makes Easy mode EASIER, and makes your party do more damage in normal mode. Hard and nightmare remain rape however. Kids these days  ::)

With only a few builds I can see being viable in nightmare right now, the game is starting to feel like single player guild wars tactic wise. Disabling enemies so you don't get swarmed is key. Damage reduction is key.

Really funny spoilers for cheap/free stuff
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:41:09 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2009, 04:03:51 pm »

I don't really think the dwarf noble campaign is THAT great. The most entertaining feature by far is that the standard solution for being adressed by a peasant is to order him to be killed but since the city and its inhabitants are likely never seen again in the game that looses most of it's value.
You'll see them again. It's a big part of the campaign.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2009, 04:13:33 pm »

Finally got my hands on in. Looks like a nice game. However unlocking DLC i got from Steam purchase was VERY painful process. Took me about an hour to get Stone Prisoner working.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2009, 04:53:04 pm »

I don't really think the dwarf noble campaign is THAT great. The most entertaining feature by far is that the standard solution for being adressed by a peasant is to order him to be killed but since the city and its inhabitants are likely never seen again in the game that looses most of it's value.

Yah, I'll second this, the return to Orzammar takes actually quite some time - it's such a huge portion of the main quest that it has it's own world map for the underground caverns and so forth - I think the capital at Denerim is the only other place with it's own map.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2009, 05:24:46 pm »

I found a way to distinguish redshirts from possible squad mates:
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2009, 05:37:43 pm »

I found a way to distinguish redshirts from possible squad mates:
I found it amusing that the redshirts that fight with you at the big tower thing don't even have names. 'Circle Mage' and 'Tower Guard'

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32:56 am »

*Minor Spoilers follow, but if you can't see it coming I envy your stupidity*

So I'm doing the Noble Human origin, and I'm stuck. My father is apparently in the kitchen, but all the fires seem to be blocking me. How can I get to him?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2009, 06:40:00 am »

But with his approach, you will notice them right off the bat because they will be nude.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:31 am »

*Minor Spoilers follow, but if you can't see it coming I envy your stupidity*

So I'm doing the Noble Human origin, and I'm stuck. My father is apparently in the kitchen, but all the fires seem to be blocking me. How can I get to him?

Clearly the solution is to be immune to fire.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2009, 07:19:48 am »

So I found out that tactics pretty much make or breaks the difficulty. If you're not doing well you're probably needing better utilization of the \ screen. This is all on nightmare.

I tried an experiment, where I programmed my mage to focus on healing as a first priority, then petrifying bosses and > elites, sleeping melee attackers, buffs to reduce spell and regular damage, stone armor, and exploding those far away with nukes so I wouldn't friendly fire. I focused the warriors on taunting and shieldbash/knockdown chaining.

Now I CAN leave my mage run with the AI, while I run around as warrior taunting everywhere and shield bashing.

I probably still wouldn't start nightmare without a decent mage though. :/

The story itself is alright so far(haven't played much), if you can sneak away a bit of disbelief at how conveniently things fall together or apart, or how stupid some people are or plot devices that force you into situations despite the choices you make.

EDIT: Also if you have a legit copy, new patch makes Easy mode EASIER, and makes your party do more damage in normal mode. Hard and nightmare remain rape however. Kids these days  ::)

With only a few builds I can see being viable in nightmare right now, the game is starting to feel like single player guild wars tactic wise. Disabling enemies so you don't get swarmed is key. Damage reduction is key.

Really funny spoilers for cheap/free stuff

I find that if I just set my mage to heal, and every so often toss in a regen when its needed, she works well without much intervention, unless the fight is really going sideways. I then usually have Alistar work on taking down who ever he pleases, and my dwarf with a MIGHTY 2 handed sword usually takes on some of the tougher people, with my rouge (I cant remember her name, but its the chick with the kinda lisp) who I usually micro-manage the crap out of, since there is nothing you can do in the tactics regarding positioning her in back stabbing position. I tend to micro manage the really big fights with pause rape, one command, pause etc.. as Im used to BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2 NWN, and NWN2. I just really wish there was a formation option.

The game isnt really too difficult if you play it smart, coming to tough fights, and if you know the basic rules of combat.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2009, 09:06:07 am »

So, I don't need any help with the Human Noble problem anymore. I got better.

But loving the game so far. Great story, really. Awesome gameplay as well, the battles really suck me in. In fact, the only reason I'm typing this is because I'm sitting through a very long cutscene that I already know the ending of.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2009, 11:01:30 am »

I'm playing an elf mage and am now clearing the basement of giant spider(ORIGINALITY FUCK YEAH!). The problem is that despite being able to two shot them with arcane bolt+that fire spray thing, if they get a chance to use overwhelm, they instantly kill me.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »

I'm playing an elf mage and am now clearing the basement of giant spider(ORIGINALITY FUCK YEAH!). The problem is that despite being able to two shot them with arcane bolt+that fire spray thing, if they get a chance to use overwhelm, they instantly kill me.
Wait till you see the drakes and dragons' versions of overwhelm.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2009, 02:47:47 pm »

Holy shit. Screw Dragon Age. Check out the recent devs for Dwarf Fortress! Holy freaking crap it's so awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23