Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34048 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:24 pm »

Only one thing to say on the topic of these overpowered enemies: Are we forgetting Arkham Asylum already?
Did all you people having problems with insta-KO or whatever pirate the game?
Nobody I know who actually bought it are having any such problems.
Arkham "our QA team is a bunch of retards so we shipped a gamebreaking bug and when it was discovered we tried to pass it as DRM while releasing a stealth patch on GFWL which was cracked immediately so pirates have a working game and legal customers without internet on their gaming rigs are still shafted" Asylum? The game with as only DRM being a shit port not worth the bandwith of pirating?

I fully believe that the unkillable dinosaur pack in the dorf noble campaign is either the result of mismatched difficulty common in the rest of the game or the most clumsy method ever of railroading the player.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2009, 02:48:06 pm »

Wait a second, are you basically assuming that the developers are lying...as opposed to the pirates themselves? Because the former assumes a conspiracy theory that doesn't exactly seem...useful. Game-disabling DRM has been used before, it would make sense that it would be used here.

Otherwise, I would like evidence showcasing that you are correct.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »

I own(ed) both a legal and an illegal copy of the game. Properly cracked, the pirate one functions perfectly as far as their atrocity of a port goes. The legal game however, does not. At least, not until i unblock GFWL from the firewall, which causes the folder containing the game to pop back to the top of the list of folders when sorted by "last modified". After which it doesn't have the glide, save and empty world bugs anymore but still runs a good 5 fps lower then the pirated version because of the DRM hogging CPU cycles or something.

I don't assume a conspiracy, only that somebody was spouting bullshit after an embarrassing failure in order to cover their own ass. Terrible ports do happen and they are more common then Titan Quest style drm. Perhaps the idea was that legal customers would have access to GFWL 100% of the time and that pirates would not, which makes sense in the little world of a market analyst but doesn't hold up in reality. But then again Iron Lore thought that it was a good idea to flood ever single press channel with "GAME IS BROKEN MESS - DO NOT BUY" messages shortly before release by causing the game to crash if it was played before release, with any mounting/burning program running or similar and forgot to strip that out of the review copies they sent out before release.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »

I wonder if people like me renting from gamefly on console will have access to fixes that purposefully break the game...

And considering it... pirat--  probably shouldn't talk about pirating now should we... ?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »

Started making a character, found out female dwarves don't have beards, quit

Its an OPTION. You dont HAVE to have your dwarf have no beard. All though I did chuckle a bit at the sight of a dwarf with no beard. :)
No dude, FEMALE DWARVES HAVE NO BEARDS. There is no option to have them have beards! You want I should play this travesty?!
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »

Make a dude dwarf. Probably wouldnt notice the difference with a beard anyways. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:07 pm »

I went to my friend's place, got to play DA:O for a bit.

Immediate impressions: Dragon Age: Origins is not a great game. Maybe if I played it more I'd call it a good game. As it is I'm struck by how mediocre of a game it is. What it is, is a fairly decent animated "Choose your own adventure" storybook with dicerolls and combat on the side.

Before D&D types jump on my case for this, let me explain that I've played D&D before, but not religiously. It's actually quite fun. You are in a group of friends shooting the breeze, talking shit while the GM comes up with fantastic(hopefully) scenarios. In DA:O's case the GM is bioware, you have one scenario, and it isn't particularly imaginative. D&D offers a myriad of classes and races, and in Dragon Age:Origins you have 3 basic races and 3 classes. DA:O is watered down D&D, but at least you don't have to deal with body odor from nerdy neckbeards breathing heavily at you right?

The professional reviewers talk about all the choices you get to make, the difference you get to make in the world. I don't think I need to spoiler this because ultimately, you're going to experience it and it won't make much of a bloody difference.

As a mage, in the beginning you have to choose to help a friend or help those in charge of the two of you. The decision you make DOESN'T MATTER. The game continues after mildly slapping your wrist if you decide to be a jerk about it and/or you get rewarded by the higher ups for betraying your friend on purpose. After a bit of class/race specific intro, the game's plot melds together for every single one.

So you can choose black, white, and shades of gray, but the storyline moves forward regardless of what you pick.

There are millions of little choices like this which affect small things like at this certain point, if you choose to kill this lady, you can unlock the evil magic path for your mage. Yay! However no matter how evil you get, you still continue along the same storyline as a goody-two-shoes paladin (or any other offshoot you decide to call your branch of the 3 classes) So what you really do doesn't matter all too much. Not yay! Dragon Age: Origins is an exercise of fatalism at it's finest.

And the combat, well... Much has been said about the variable difficulty. The problem comes from enemy abilities, in which you're managing a battle perfectly fine, and then a spider, wolf, or troll will start spamming a bullshit ability which simply crushes you. A character will be knocked on the ground while every enemy brutally gang-rapes the character while the other members of your party can only look on in horror. While being crushed the character will be unable to parry, block, fight back, cast spells, heal himself, or raise his/her voice to object to being brutally gang-banged.

Gee, I hope you brought along a support/healing mage.

Speaking of mages, at least in the game I was playing, combat consisted of Mage Bodyguard. That is, the mage steamrolls through everything and the warriors are just there to make sure the mage doesn't die. Meanwhile the rogue is running around trying to be remotely useful and not die as they're the only one that can pick locks. I was playing on nightmare/hard though, so maybe that taints my experience. Any melee fighter within range of a creature's bullshit ability found themselves quickly dead without mage support.

Thanks to the internet, I have found out that there are wooooooooo... sex scenes with clothes on, and if you remove a female character's clothing the underwear has camel toe. When you think about it, that's the type of thing the developers did instead of adding more actual content to the game.

So Dragon Age is pretty, it's a computer game, but overall it's a much poorer experience than D&D and Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights was, on the plus side DA:O is less buggy but it tries to sell you more DLC. My personal recommendation is to either rent Dragon Age, wait for mods to come out/or the game's price drops, and send the money you saved to Toady. Support a game where what you do really affects the gameworld.

I'm so biased.  ;)

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they're trying to sell the game as an ACTION rpg, which means that instead of having non-stop diablo killing things game, they have more rpg elements. Instead of having classic Bioware rpg, they have more action elements.

It's a shame that Dragon Age remains a watered down union of action and rpg.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:52:06 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »

The dwarven noble, though honestly the only one I've played so far, has a fricking sweet backstory which I love. I mean, you actually start out as an epic fighter prince beating the shit out of everyone with sweet loot doing awesome quests. That's so cool! Of course, you lose everything but hey, it's nice not starting out by killing things like rats or cockroaches.

I really think everyone should just choose dwarven noble as the first character they play. It's cool beans.

Edit: Dwarven noble also gets his freak on with two other ladies in the first 30 minutes of the game. How awesome is this dude?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2009, 06:13:37 pm »

Yeah, but who wants to watch dwarves having sex?  You can get the same effect by taking a clump of hair from the barbershop and wiggling it around while making "Bom chicka wow wow" noises with your mouth.
Shoes...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2009, 06:14:18 pm »

What Kael said.
Though in my experience my mage don't get to steamroll anything because after the first nuke everyone's hot on his arse and if the warrior dont have taunt ready, there's a dead mage there.

The encounter difficulties goes like a rollercoaster and the frendly AI screws me over just as much as forementioned bullshit abillites.
The dialouges can be ambigious at times so that they don't need as much voiceacting and often i miss a intelligent answer, pointing out something obvious.
The plot & dialouges are still more interesting than NWN1 was but atleast nwn was fun in all other ways.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2009, 06:18:06 pm »

Yeah, but who wants to watch dwarves having sex?  You can get the same effect by taking a clump of hair from the barbershop and wiggling it around while making "Bom chicka wow wow" noises with your mouth.
It's fricking funny. Especially getting all the lanky human girls to kiss you. They all kneel down first and you realize that your head is three times the size of theirs. It's even funnier considering my dwarf guy is about as attractive as a pile of manure.

I think all you guys need to reroll and play dwarves. C'mon! You're in the Dwarf Fortress forum! Why on earth did you start with mages or elves or humans? Ew...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2009, 06:29:33 pm »

Why on earth did you start with mages or elves or humans? Ew...
I wanted to play on nightmare and my experience with my friend's group was unless you're controlling the mage explicitly, you're in for a lot of hurt.

Mage has saved my ass so many times I can't tell you. The spell that causes bodies to explode? Broken. Sleep? Broken. The fact that they can cast heal instead of wasting time with limited items? Broken.

EDIT: my only problem is after sleep, and making people explode, and whatnot, yes the warriors tend to get a fair bit of friendly fire from my mage.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:32:39 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »

Yeah, they're excellent debuffers and healers, but the primal spells just annoy the enemies.
I did consider getting the resistances of Alister up so that he can stand in an inferno or tempest and just be bait while i chainheal him.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »

Make a dude dwarf. Probably wouldnt notice the difference with a beard anyways. ;)
:D

I actually was making a male dwarf - it's just a matter of principle
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2009, 11:57:19 am »

I don't really think the dwarf noble campaign is THAT great. The most entertaining feature by far is that the standard solution for being adressed by a peasant is to order him to be killed but since the city and its inhabitants are likely never seen again in the game that looses most of it's value.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23