Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34038 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01:31 am »

Or it's possible that the reviewers are reviewing for a mainstream audience and mainstream audiences like the games?

And mainstream audiences like reviews that completely ignore a game's flaws and give it ten of ten...  Right, they're just giving people what they want. ::)

While that may be true.  I don't give a crap if it is.  because I'm not a mainstream gamer, and the whole problem I have with this is the compromise of journalistic integrity for a quick buck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:03:04 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2009, 12:05:00 am »

So what, you're surprised that buisnesses are trying to make money?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2009, 12:08:32 am »

He's suprised that so many people are douchebags that value money over nearly everything.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2009, 12:24:20 am »

Since when does something need to be unexpected to be reprehensible? 

In other words, no I'm not surprised, I am however disgusted.  I thought that would be pretty clear from the way I've talked about it.  If anyone finds it surprising it's the people who don't believe it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:31:05 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2009, 01:07:33 am »

In other words, no I'm not surprised, I am however disgusted.  I thought that would be pretty clear from the way I've talked about it.  If anyone finds it surprising it's the people who don't believe it.

So then may I ask what you expect a business to try to achieve?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2009, 01:11:51 am »

So you don't see anything wrong with supposed journalists being a simple extension of the gamig industry's hype machine?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2009, 01:12:24 am »

It's not exactly either make money or be a total douche. You can make money without being a total douche, but perhaps not as much as if you were a total douche.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2009, 05:22:28 am »

So you don't see anything wrong with supposed journalists being a simple extension of the gamig industry's hype machine?

How do you expect them to make money if they don't get paid?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2009, 05:37:51 am »

How do you expect them to make money if they don't get paid?

I don't.  I expect them to have a bit of journalistic integrity.  Or at least think they should have it.  Why does it always seem so difficult for people to understand the concept of moderation.  When you get a paycheck do you either spend the entire thing or spend none of it at all?  I mean, come on, Toady One, case in point.

Obviously I'm not suggesting everyone quit their day jobs to make video games for donations but seriously.  Do you honestly believe that the only things one can be in this world are a totally amoral greedy bastard or a starving bum?  I sure hope not, but if not... well, what the heck are you saying?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:42:22 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »

It sure makes less money from anyone who stops reading. At any rate, I've taken Game Informer reviews with a grain of salt in the past several months (I used to trust them pretty well) and I've always taken IGN/gamespot as such- there are some reviews where I'm certain the writer's opinion was skewed by the fact that, relative to me (whoever me is is the only person whose opinion really matters on the bottom line), they sucked at the game in question.

Anyway, back on topic- game comes out tomorrow, so I'm excited to hear what some people who've been playing video games for a long time and don't have a paycheck tied to a review say about it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »

Ioric, do you ever get tired of having this discussion?
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2009, 02:02:23 pm »

Ioric, do you ever get tired of having this discussion?

I don't see what that has to do with anything.  I like arguing, and I don't like corruption and greed.  Obviously you're generalizing when you say "this discussion" and lumping all my subjects into one, but that in itself is ironic as you are in a way, inadvertently agreeing with me about the game media being part of the game industry's hype machine.  Do you understand that people rely on the news media to inform their decisions?  That is the sole purpose of the news.  If it doesn't do that, or gives them false or skewed information it is failing as news organization and betraying the public.  It might as well just be selling snake oil.

Science, why am I even trying?  With a comment like that you've probably already decided that anything I say is wrong despite all reason and evidence to the contrary.  So you bring up a good point.  Why do I bother?  I dunno.  I guess I'll just blame it on faith in humanity.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 02:04:49 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2009, 02:15:25 pm »

So uhhh, any discussion on the actual game besides the advertising/publishers being rubbish shitstorm currently in progress?

I'm definitely interested but naturally want to see how it plays out first before committing to a buy.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2009, 02:20:03 pm »

The PC version has already been pirated.  Dunno about the console versions yet though.  I'm sure they'll follow in short order.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2009, 02:56:21 pm »

The PC version has already been pirated.  Dunno about the console versions yet though.  I'm sure they'll follow in short order.
I think the X-Box 360 version got leaked first, actually.

Also, someone on the RPG Codex got his hands on it and says (among other things) that normal difficulty is actually easy, unlike the journalists insisted in previews/reviews.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23