Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34068 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 10:00:09 pm »

Hm, I haven't been interested in Bioware games since they made NWN and then went console.

Dragon Age was in development for PC only for years.  Long before Bioware sold out to EA.  How much they changed it after the buyout and announcement of the console versions is of course unknown since there was virtually no info on it before then.  Supposedly the PC version was finished last year and they just delayed the release to keep Console players from feeling like they weren't the most important customers.

Not going to buy.

Hate EA.
Don't like 3D girls.

So... yeah.

You either don't realize what you just said or are very very strange (well, more than we already knew about).
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 10:51:37 pm »

Hm, I haven't been interested in Bioware games since they made NWN and then went console.

Wait... But MDK2 was released by Bioware for console and PC in 2000, before even Shadows of Amn was released let alone Neverwinter nights. I know this because I played the shit out of it when I had a dreamcast.

A couple of web reviews have been released for Dragon Age:Origins already and reviews have been hopeful.
Here: http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx

Though, some news which saddens me is that downloadable content which costs extra is to be released on release day. Now why couldn't bioware just include it with the game at no extra cost?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

Wait... But MDK2 was released by Bioware for console and PC in 2000, before even Shadows of Amn was released let alone Neverwinter nights. I know this because I played the shit out of it when I had a dreamcast.

A couple of web reviews have been released for Dragon Age:Origins already and reviews have been hopeful.
Here: http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx

Though, some news which saddens me is that downloadable content which costs extra is to be released on release day. Now why couldn't bioware just include it with the game at no extra cost?

If included it in the game at no extra cost, how would they make you pay more for it?

By "went console" I meant went console 'exclusive'.  That is, they when they started developing games only for consoles specifically.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 11:26:34 pm »

Heh, I remember a game from a long time ago...   It was released by EA, but they didn't put all the budget into marketing.  In fact, they didn't put *any* of the budget into marketing, so the game went largely unnoticed, causing the brilliant minds behind it to disperse and their company to never be heard from again.

This game was epicness condensed into a format PC gaming could comprehend at that time.  I am, of course, talking about Beasts and Bumpkins.

WHY DOES THAT GODDAMN COW KEEP DYING???  WAARGH!

Oh my fucking god, i can't believe i forgot about Beasts and Bumpkins. That and Dungeon Keeper were the two games that wasted my childhood.

I MUST LOCATE A COPY IMMEDIATELY!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 12:20:19 am »

The DLC is allegedly going to be free with a copy of the game. A new copy. It's a move to fuck up used sales for the console versions.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:24 pm »

When we said 'if you want us to not resell our games, put in more content', that wasn't what we meant.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 10:31:25 pm »

Well, that's not totally retarded. Granted, what it means is that you only get to download the DLC once (or on one Bioware Account, which I must have three of for lost passwords) so it's got some nastiness, but I think it's a clever way not to totally piss people off while still having some anti-piracy (well, or massively encourage piracy).

And remember, DAO will have the usual user content shenans. That means you're not buying a game, you're buying a freaking engine- so a lame main campaign probably wouldn't be a huge turnoff for me (although a professionally well done one would certainly be a big selling point). NWN's campaign got pretty repetitive halfway through anyway, didn't it?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:16 pm »

Sorry for the derail, but after Neruz and Kagus raved about Beasts and Bumpkins I went and downloaded it. Wow, it is seriously awesome, even with the few small problems it contains, I've enjoyed the first 5 missions more than I have any other RTS campaign I've played.
I don't know why this game didn't become famous.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 11:09:43 pm »

I started out looking forward to Dragon Age. Sadly, the game has lost much of my interest as time has gone on. From what I have seen, the combat style is negligible in difference from past Bioware games such as Kotor and NWN, the graphics aren't mindblowing (not that that matters to a DF player), and shields float five inches above characters backs when not in use. From what I have seen, heard and read, the game's plot seems to consist of very little actual new developments on the formula. Instead of assembling a world consisting of a collection of copy-pastes from other sources. (noticeably more than would normally be expected). Instead of trollocs, we get Hurlocks, in place of dire bears and dire wolves, we get Bereskarns and blight wolves. And of course, there is the glaring similarity of professions for the main character between Dragon Age and Mass Effect. 

The attempt at being dark and edgy further alienated me, the showcasing of violence and sex should never being the selling point of an rpg, it should be the plot and the characters. Also, where their attempts to inject a darker plot into the game have been laughable at worst. The video for the city elf origin with the noble and his cronies attempting to force themselves on the pc and their npc relative was atrocious, and another video of the dwarf noble origin I watched was almost as bad, where the pc commanded their henchman to have another dwarf assassinated, the scene was very awkward.

All in all, I have been far from impressed from what has been shown so far, I am definitely not buying this game and will think twice before buying whatever they make after this.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 01:57:57 pm »

I got an interesting email from Stardock the other day.

Dragon Age: Origins
includes:

* A Stunning World to Explore
    * Complex Moral Choices
    * Engage in Bone-Crushing, Visceral Combat
    * Full Character Customization
    * Bonus Content

Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition includes:

* Warden's Keep (While supplies last)
    * 3 pieces of downloadable game content
    * Additional downloadable in-game content
    * Downloadable "Blood Dragon Armor" for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins
    * Bonus Content

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »

I got an interesting email from Stardock the other day.

Dragon Age: Origins
includes:

* A Stunning World to Explore
    * Complex Moral Choices
    * Engage in Bone-Crushing, Visceral Combat
    * Full Character Customization
    * Bonus Content

Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition includes:

* Warden's Keep (While supplies last)
    * 3 pieces of downloadable game content
    * Additional downloadable in-game content
    * Downloadable "Blood Dragon Armor" for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins
    * Bonus Content

Which is funny since the DA:O developers and such have spent the last couple of days trying to explain to people that both the Blood Dragon armor and the Watchers Keep, sorry Wardens Keep will be part of the regular old retail buy in stores version. As an added bonus due to the delay of the game apparently

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 02:18:43 pm »

Maybe it's only for people who buy it in stores, and digital versions won't get it.  I wouldn't put it past EA to try to pull something like that.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure they said it'd be accessible to all versions of the game. Although maybe it was only Wardens Keep and the armor is a pre-order bonus. I don't really want to read through all the crazy-person postings on the the DA:O forums again, there's a lot of people freaking out over getting free downloadable content  ::)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 05:33:50 pm »

IMO, the byzantine rules surrounding apparently a number of things to be downloaded is a red flag...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 05:37:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure they said it'd be accessible to all versions of the game. Although maybe it was only Wardens Keep and the armor is a pre-order bonus. I don't really want to read through all the crazy-person postings on the the DA:O forums again, there's a lot of people freaking out over getting free downloadable content  ::)

"this is unfair, man. what about the starving EA executives? dlc is pointless unless they're a price tag attached to it."---ilovebastilla4583
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23