Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34051 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »

The graphics look like dated shit, but the kind that's absurdly high-poly and unoptimized (at least in that trailer, I don't know how telling that is for the final product). Which means it's probably being developed primarily for consoles, which means that the controls and gameplay will probably be absolute shit, especially since EA is involved...

Now, it is still Bioware behind it, so it may turn out ok. Probably not great, thanks to EA, but it might still be playable. Mass Effect is proof they can still put out a good game even under the malign, rotting influence of EA. Now, its writing and story were shit, but I like to be optimistic and think of it as brilliant satire instead :D , and the gameplay was more than enough to redeem the horrible writing, even with its own flaws. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out, won't we?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:48 pm »

Looks very cliched and shitey. Probably a torrent-play for an hour-delete game.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »

For the last damn time, EA learned their lesson with Spore. They will never interfere with a game's production again...

I call bullshit. Of course they'll intervene, whenever and however it suits them and makes them money. That's what corporations actually, you know, do? Try to make money? It's actually a matter of ethics in a screwed up way that they do, as their shareholders and employees rely on their continued existence. Not saying it's pretty, or good. Eh.

Whether or not Bioware is willing to put up with their art being analyzed to death is a minor issue, but not much of one considering that Bioware is now owned by, you guessed it, EA. Without money, there is no Bioware, sadly enough. If EA decides to make Bioware vomit up rhythm games for the rest of its unnatural life, there isn't much the developers can do now besides leave Bioware.

What makes money and what the creative and artistic goals of Bioware Studios are do not necessarily conflict, however, unless you've been living under a rock these past 10 years, it's pretty easy to see that most games have become almost as money-oriented (and money-directed) as TV sitcoms.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:39:24 pm »

Except EA's preferred method of making money is just to produce the cheapest, flashiest trash they can, by eliminating such useless things as basic fucking quality control, preferring instead to pour all the money into marketing it and hoping that will drive enough uninformed impulse buys to make a profit (which, sadly, it does >:(). Rather than, you know, producing something that's worth a damn.

What really makes them despicable is that they acquire good studios and ideas, and then ruin them like that.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 06:34:32 pm »

For the last damn time, EA learned their lesson with Spore. They will never interfere with a game's production again...

I call bullshit.

You should. Did you even read the rest of my post? It was a joke.

But seriously, you're all giving Bioware way too little credit. The point is, they've proven they can make good games time and time again, and even with EA throwing around its terrible DRM on their products like their own bastardized attempt at a Nintendo Seal of Approval.

I think we can all agree that if anyone deserves us to at least TRY their product, it's Bioware. If you need me, I'll be playing Brutal Legend until November 3rd. I'll be back on launch day.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 07:20:36 pm »

Well I do hate the "Look at us, we're hardcore!" approach they've been taking with all the gore and sex you do have to appreciate a cool trailer when you see one.
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/dragon-age-origins/9022
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:25:31 pm »

Not going to buy.

Hate EA.
Don't like 3D girls.

So... yeah.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »

I still have some faith in Bioware. Granted, I recall the last time I bought a game on launch I was disappointed. That was ages ago, and I don't intend to do so again. But I'm still certainly going to take a look.

At any rate, I'm probably going to buy it if it's notably better than NWN 2. On another note, I just noticed Hordes of the Underdark was $5 (It was $50 at Half Price Books, for some reason) on Amazon. THAT'S something I'm willing to shell out my money for immediately.

I wonder if they could make a profit on a new NWN1 expansion pack? Obviously they'd never have the guts to try it, but I'd like to see if graphics on par with that area really make development that much cheaper (and if they can then find some creativity). Of course the big reason I want HoU is so I can connect to more online modules.

Back on topic... I hope they haven't decided that the sex scene was the single biggest seller for Mass Effect and tried to recreate it with DA. And, I still think that the whole 'origins' deal is a good idea, but not worth putting in the title. I'm still hoping the game will be good.

...while we're on that subject, it DOES still shock me that haven't seen a good Star Fox (okay, Command wasn't bad) or Sonic game in ages. So we'll see.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »

God, their characters' movements are so rigid the sex scenes look like two manikins getting it on anyways.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:16:32 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »

I do hope you meant "mannequins", because the mental image of manikins getting it on is just monumentally wrong.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

I do hope you meant "mannequins", because the mental image of manikins getting it on is just monumentally wrong.

What? They're the same things. "A mannequin (also called manikin, mannikin, dummy, or lay figure)".

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »

Yeah, but "manikin" also used to refer to little men, like "dwarfs" (not dwarves), or in some cases imps, and let's not forget Rumplestiltskin, who popped up in my head when you mentioned that. :-X
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:43 pm »

Heh, I remember a game from a long time ago...   It was released by EA, but they didn't put all the budget into marketing.  In fact, they didn't put *any* of the budget into marketing, so the game went largely unnoticed, causing the brilliant minds behind it to disperse and their company to never be heard from again.

This game was epicness condensed into a format PC gaming could comprehend at that time.  I am, of course, talking about Beasts and Bumpkins.

WHY DOES THAT GODDAMN COW KEEP DYING???  WAARGH!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 09:41:57 pm »

I myself feel personally wronged by Black and White 2.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23