Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 33997 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2011, 09:55:27 am »

Actually, the Council's actions in Mass Effect made perfect sense. As far as they could see, Shepard was batshit insane, considering your "warnings" about the Reapers came in the form of "I HAD A DREAM ABOUT DEATHDEATHDEATHDEATH WE MUST ACT OR WE'LL DIE BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!?!"

I also don't recall anyone but his cronies siding with Loghain. Even the mercenary assassins he hired to kill you decided to hire you to fight his cronies instead. He faced heavy resistance from various nobles, none of the factions you tried to gather sided with him, and the dwarves at least were openly hostile to him. They were all just distracted or divided too much to listen to what this random drifter claiming to be a Grey Warden says is totally going on.

The problem with Mass Effect was that there was mountains of evidence that could be provided to the council to demonstrate, at the very least, that Saren was a rogue agent from the beginning, and upon that, later, even more evidence about the Reapers. There's the fact that even AFTER the Reaper attacks the Council itself in the Citadel itself, they refuse to acknowledge that they exist in Mass Effect 2.

Also, as for Loghain, it is heavily implied that he does have significant popular support, and the resistance to his rule is divided, and also refuse to believe that he did not support the King despite the transparently evil behavior he exposes with complete disregard for the possibility of being caught. The whole reason that there is drama about removing Loghain from power is because you have to convince people to oppose his rule in favor of someone else.
About Mass Effect, before you get Tali's help it's essencially the word of a human who sounds crazy, and the council dislikes humans in the first place due to Space Speciesism, verses the word of a Specter implied to have their trust and to have done many many many things for the council before all this, it's obvious who they would side with. About the Reapers, if one has the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, and pays attention to a few other small things, it becomes noticable that the council DOES know about the Reapers, and is lieing to the public to prevent panic while also prepareing for the eventual attack. Plus there is also the whole 'gameplay-story segrigation' thing with Saren, if you pay attention he's only supposed to look how he does at the very end, due to getting implants after the cloneing facility. I assume Bioware didn't have time to give him a second Model for before that scene.

About Loghain, firstly, the man isn't 'evil' so much as 'rampently paranoid', and is likely slightly, or more, insane due to the things that happened during the occupation by fantasy-france. He is a war hero, idelized by almost everyone in the nation, has a ton of soldiers loyal to him and only him for several reasons, and was the best friend of King Maric, and is father in law to the recently dead king. All of those kinda add up to someone who people would want to trust, even if they aren't willing to ignore his paranoia, several  characters in the game hate fantasy-france as much as he does and suspect they would invade if allowed to help with the blight, they just aren't as bad as he is. There is also the fact that people, even in real life, never want the worst to happen and WILL try and to deny it's existance until it smashes them in the face, the last blight happened 400 years before, people wanted to believe this was just a large raid, not the frightening thing from their ancestor's stories. But otherwise, you do make good points about Bioware games in general with regards to their stories.

Doesn't explain the "We have dismissed that claim" when they are preparing, or is that bioware letting shepard become a dictator.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

Well you ARE Shepard, and are going around screaming about the Reapers already, which likely disrupts their plans of keeping it quiet while makeing ready, giveing you the ability to yell 'even the Council knows about the Reapers' would just utterly shit all over their plans.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:14 am »

Point, but the council could admit it privately and publicly deny it.

I still want the ability to rule the galaxy however
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:38 am »

My feelings about Dragon Age: Origins, and generally Bioware games as a whole lately, is that the Script writing is excellent. The Story Writing, however, is terrible.

God, yes. Sometimes it's disparate within a single character (or a single conversation), too.

Take Leliana from DA:O. If you take her from individual conversations, she's either a naive rogue, an absolutely crazy bitch or a cunning manipulator. I suppose she could be all three, but the conversations are written so differently that it just seems like she's got MPD. Nevermind that she has a LOT of Big Lipped Alligator Moments. This is never addressed in game because they didn't actually write it in.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:55 am »

Yep just like the people who made Indigo Prophacy and Heavy Rain can't do a Love scene, or make convincing budding romance, to save their lives.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:41 pm »

I'm commander shepard, and evil machines called the reapers are coming from the edge of the galaxy to eradicate all organic life. Additionally, the collectors, who are actually the protheans used as tools by the reapers, are abducting hundreds of thousands of human colonists in order to grind them up and make a giant terminator reaper in their secret base in the galactic core. The council won't believe me because they're blind to my truths, just like they wouldn't listen to the dreams I had after I touched that artifact that told of syringes and hues of red.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2011, 04:48:48 pm »

good news! I was able to kill my brother :D

I was asked about the paragon choise, I told she said I got to choose, then they ask me who I choose, and to everyone surprise I said Harrowmont, then as fight followed up

happy ending!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »

Dwaarrvvess, so many dwaarrvveess

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2011, 07:37:52 pm »

They think you're G'Kar, you see. So even though you know, and they know that you know, and you're trying to tell them, but they already know, and you're trying to tell everyone else, they can't confirm to anyone, or let you in on the fact that they know the Shadows Reapers are coming. If they did that, they would obviously know the jig was up and attack before they were ready!

What are we talking about Mass Effect in a Dragon Age thread for? I haven't played Mass Effect 2 (I played through Mass Effect 1 and could barely bring myself to finish it, it was so annoying), so you keep referencing events in the future to me and I have no idea what you're going on about when you do that. I replaced the council with a council of humans, and if they're not doing what I order them to in the future, I'm going to be real annoyed.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:25 am »

Yeah, you guys really should bring the Mass Effect discussions to another thread, and use some FRIGGIN SPOILER TAGS FFS AND I'M USING HUGE-A** TEXT TO GET THE POINT ACROSS. I knew the Collectors were Protheans, but now it's spoiled that they are some kinda tool of the Reapers?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2011, 12:39:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »

Have you guys noticed that your companions in Bioware games never have friends? They always get so dramatic when you tell them you're friends.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:20 pm »

Have you guys noticed that your companions in Bioware games never have friends? They always get so dramatic when you tell them you're friends.
Their existence is meaningless without you of course... You validate them.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »

Well some of them have friends, they just happen to be dead or somehow inconsiquential to the story. Plus there is the fact that video game characters, esspecially in RPGs, tend to be some varrient of Mary Sue, the universe revolves around them and such.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »

Well some of them have friends, they just happen to be dead or somehow inconsiquential to the story. Plus there is the fact that video game characters, esspecially in RPGs, tend to be some varrient of Mary Sue, the universe revolves around them and such.

There should be an entire game where you're a companion, and nothing you ever do matters.  You just follow the main character around who is the chosen one, saves the world, and bones three party members.  It'd be so meta that gamers would eat it up.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23