Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 33980 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:02 pm »

The DLC was only free if you pre-ordered, I believe.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:16 pm »

Ouch, lots of DLC raeg. And Ioric, the topic is now whether or not Dragon Age: Origins is good and why.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2009, 08:52:41 pm »

I forgot the last time a game discussion was like 9/10ths not game discussion but related shitstorm, and 1/10th actual game discussion.

Seems to happen every so often around here though.

All of this DLC business is putting me off buying or even 'acquiring' the game (hahaha) I'll just wait to see what modders do or the fanfare dies down so I can hear the bad vs. the good in the next few weeks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2009, 10:37:09 pm »

Kael: as part of the DF community, we all think we're really smart and original and everyone cares what we think... which kinda makes a pretty funky recursive cycle.

Anyway, my major beef with this game, and this game has been very enjoyable so far, is that after the first two chapters, you are given a whole world to travel but the difficulty curve is kinda splattered onto you. For example, I tried to return to the mountain home as a dwarf and I couldn't even bypass the first scene as the enemies are too bloody strong.

Now I'm stuck fighting zombies and I had no idea they were this difficult. C'mon! It's zombies! My dwarf and his compatriates shouldn't die to just 3 of them swarming him. It takes a lot of challenge but ultimately its quite enjoyable.

It is an excellent game though, DLC and strange difficulty curve notwithstanding.

edit: I love the reactions of bystanders when you get other people to kiss you. Especially the barmaid in Redcliff.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2009, 10:42:16 pm »

Interesting. What difficulty are you on?

I heard that the game's difficulty is wave-like. Sometimes it's easy and you just walk all over it, and then suddenly LOLtsunami.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

Interesting. What difficulty are you on?

I heard that the game's difficulty is wave-like. Sometimes it's easy and you just walk all over it, and then suddenly LOLtsunami.
Just normal. the RTSer in me has ended using a lot of ambush and baiting strategies to overcome the strange difficulty curve. Some of the scariest fights I've seen involve either mages or dogs. Especially the dogs' overcome skill, which auto-KOs anybody instantly.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:23 pm »

Some of the scariest fights I've seen involve either mages or dogs. Especially the dogs' overcome skill, which auto-KOs anybody instantly.
Even your tank? Or do they just bum rush your squishies? Or are the dogs secretly from Stalker:SoChernobyl? :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2009, 10:50:56 pm »

Some of the scariest fights I've seen involve either mages or dogs. Especially the dogs' overcome skill, which auto-KOs anybody instantly.
Even your tank? Or do they just bum rush your squishies? Or are the dogs secretly from Stalker:SoChernobyl? :P
Yeah. Everyone. I haven't found a way to counter it either, since it works independently of any other status effect. Basically, it's an auto-KO and quite possibly a bug since it overcomes the tank's ability to prevent knockdowns... which it really is (dog knocks you down and mauls out your throat).

What I do is bait the dogs with one fast guy and get the others to use ranged weapons to take out the dogs while I run around with that fast runner. So it's counterable.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:38 pm »

Well, thanks for giving me a heads up on Dragon Age's version of DF's elephants/carp.  ::)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2009, 10:57:17 pm »

Well, thanks for giving me a heads up on Dragon Age's version of DF's elephants/carp.  ::)
Yeah, also if you see 1 or 2 wolves, there are 20 more hiding. Keep that in mind to avoid keyboard smashing. Hehehe... Don't underestimate stuff in this game is the general idea. Everything can generally kick your ass... even those stupid goblin-replacement things.

I had one of those low level goblin (I forget the real name) mages kick my entire party's ass repeatedly very easily.

So, try to save as often as possible.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »

So what's your party like so far? Pardon all the questions but other than reading bland reviews it's good to talk to someone actually playing the game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2009, 11:16:46 pm »

Indeed. And it sounds like just my sort of difficulty, I may have to check this out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:17 pm »

I have also enjoyed just as I expected to. Though I haven't really been able to play it as much as I want to.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:19 am »

Further on the topic on Dragon Age: Origins DLC: http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/dragon-age-origins/news/dragon-age-origins-level-only-on-pc-gamer-dvd/a-20091026112838129093/g-2007021318127502086 Even if you get the pre-ordered edition, and buy all that nice day one DLC that's been so controversial, you have to buy a copy of PC gamer to get every quest. personally, I'm not into the DLC stuff, but this is rather irritating for me, kinda reminds me of that stuff  empire total war pulled with the special forces units.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2009, 12:36:33 am »

When did 'need' come into the equation? I said want.

The journalist's job is to inform the public so that they can make informed decisions.

Unfortunately the news outlets of the world disagree with you; they feel that a journalist's job is to make money by selling news, and if there isn't any news then they'd better damn well find some.

I think the problem is that you don't realize just how deluded some people are.  They think they will be happy with just one more expensive thing they don't need, that they'll finally be content.  But that's never the case.  If you are collecting shit, and you get more shit, all you've got is a bigger pile of shit.  And once again, it's 'OK' to screw others over for it.

Not only are you going way off topic, but you're strawmanning to boot. I do not agree with the way journalism is currently handled, which is why the only news i ever pay the slightest attention to is the ABC as they are government funded and operated and thus don't need to fabricate stories for funding. I have repeatedly stated that i do not agree with the current journalism methods; i find them not only short sighted, but pretty stupid as well.

I do, however, accept that at the moment such subversive journalism techniques are the unfortunate reality of the situation. I don't like it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, so to speak.

We're both way off topic.

Again, your reasoning is faulty.  First of all, government controlled media is even more corruptible than commercial media.  They're controlled by the government, so if the government doesn't want them to report something, they better not report it, and yes, every government has things they don't want to get out to their public, like the fact that we invaded Iraq based on information they knew at the time was false, but went ahead with it anyway.

I do, however, accept that at the moment such subversive journalism techniques are the unfortunate reality of the situation. I don't like it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, so to speak.

This in particular has me befuddled.  Are you saying that you agree with me that subversive journalism is the unfortunate reality of the situation and that it's not good, while acting as though you're disagreeing with me?  Or are you arguing that we should accept things the way they currently are because they are currently that way?  If it's the first well... that's weird... If it's the second, then I'd have to point out the entirety of human history to you which illustrates how silly that reasoning is.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23