Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trick to stop dwarves from walling themselves in  (Read 1494 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Trick to stop dwarves from walling themselves in
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:37:17 pm »

Alrighty, not sure anyone else has seen this. But I've just noticed, dwarves will not construct diagonally. They WILL move diagonally though.

So. To prevent someone from walling themselves into an area you want sealed off. Here's what you do. You leave a chink in the wall, you move one section of the wall (just one tile worth of wall) inside the sealed off area by one space. This will make it so that your guys will have a way out if they make the last section of wall from the inside of the area. Then, once the rest of the wall is done, you construct a new section of wall in the open space left by the chink. They'll seal it from the outside. Problem solves.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trick to stop dwarves from walling themselves in
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »

or you can lay down a section of wall with 2 layers with the inner layer suspended
the dwarf wont stand on the suspended layer unless they have to

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 01:57:13 pm »

Or save an outside corner for the last step, exploiting the fact that dwarves can walk, but not build, diagonally.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:30 pm »

My favorite method is to build from right to left. Dwarves if at all possible will build standing to the left of what they're building (same with digging, in fact), so this will prevent wall-in. (The order is left, right, above, below, then the four diagonals for digging.)

Although I then read that if you command a wall to be built on the inside and then suspend construction he will build on the side that doesn't have a to-be-constructed wall, rendering the question moot, but whatev. :P
Code: [Select]
  |
 OO
  |
| is already completed wall
O is uncompleted wall
Suspend the left O, then remove it after the other gets built
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 05:42:22 pm »

Man I kept forgetting about the trick of putting something behind what u want done.. Notice they also place items ands tep behind them. If you have to floodgate anything make sure theres a second exit (or at least that you have another mechanic waiting to imediatly set/pull a lever)

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »

I notice that dwarves like to dig and build walls/floors/constructs (not buildings) from the left.

So just make the left most wall the last piece to be put in and they will stand outside the box to finish it

xxx
 Do.x
   xxx

x - wall
. - open space
o - wall being built
D- dwarf

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »

If your building something smaller than 10x10 and have materials just make a block big enough to encoumpass the entire area. Then cancel out the areas you don't want built.  The dwarves will start in the east and finish in the west, always building(when possible) from the west.  I almost never wall someone in.

If you can't block and remove build your walls starting from the west and designate your most eastern stuff last. Since constructions are a stack, the last ordered is the first completed, and the first ordered is the last completed. This way the workers will attempt the last wall the west most wall and not get built in.

BTW has anyone suggested an init.txt switch to change the job manager from queue to stack?

Finally if all else fails build and suspend walls whereever you don't want the dwarf to stand.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.