Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Steam  (Read 3265 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Steam
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:55:13 am »

Well, I finally caved today and bought a game with my visa debt on Steam.

My first impression is: crikey, this is the future of games. Just like the apple store has changed how we can purchase music, this system really makes the best use of the fact that today a lot of people have high speed internet, and would rather download a game if it means saving a few bucks and a trip to a store.

My first game: left 4 dead. Playing with lights of/down, headphones on. Crapping my pants.
Eyeballing Empire Total War... its half price for the next 40 hours or so (until the end of Monday).

To be honest, I haven't bought a game in a long time. Not that I go around pirating, but I'd rather just stick to freeware like Haven and Hearth or DF, that or older classics I already own like Civ4. Partly the reason is that I'm a bit poor to be shelling out AU $90 for a box game. But when I can pay $AU 45ish for a nice title, and have it _now_.. that changes things.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Steam
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:26:25 am »

Steam has ups and downs, as you will find out soon enough.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »

Steam has ups and downs, as you will find out soon enough.
Nah. If you used steam recently you can't really say that.
It's damm stable and fast.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:28:03 pm »

Yeah, download speeds for me roughly hang around 2.2MB/s. And thats with another computer and an xbox connected. They're so awesome.

Oh yeah, and i'll have to invite you to the DFC (the Dwarf Fortress Community), its the B12's semi official steam group. We have a TF2 server and stuff.

On that note, i suggest buying the Orange box.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »

The games on steam are extremely cheap,try finding some deals such as:

Fallout collection
Evil genius
Civ 3

Depending on were you live you hould find these to be very cheap and fun

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »

Hmm. Yeah, I've probably extracted as much fun as humanly possible out of the fallout series so far. Although, I haven't tried the add ons for F03.

Evil genius was so promising, if only the dev team had been given a few more months to polish it off...

Civ 3.. yeah, I'm good with my Civ4. =D
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:13:52 pm »

Orange Box.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 02:22:12 pm »

I don't really like steam. I like seeing the games I purchase, and knowing they exist and aren't going to disappear someday. I've also heard of tons of people who got their steam accounts hacked, and lost everything they've purchased (What do they call that thing with the broken eggs and a basket?). I also have a hard time trusting people (Machines?) with my money, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:24:48 pm by ILikePie »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:31:06 pm »

I'm pretty on off about Steam. It's useful sure, but a lot of the time, the prices for the games are more expensive that what I can find on Amazon or other game buying places. And those come with boxes and discs, just take slightly longer to arrive.

Also, Steam seems to have a crapload of bugs for me for some reason. Like how whenever a game that runs on Steam turns off, an error message will always pop up telling me GameOverlayUI has encountered an error and needs to shut down or sometimes it just randomly crashes for no reason. Etc.

It could be worse, but it could definitely be better as well. As it stands, the game prices on it aren't very competitive. Just convenient. The main reason why I use it is because a lot of other people use it, so it makes organizing games much easier.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:54 pm »

Also, Steam seems to have a crapload of bugs for me for some reason. Like how whenever a game that runs on Steam turns off, an error message will always pop up telling me GameOverlayUI has encountered an error and needs to shut down or sometimes it just randomly crashes for no reason. Etc.
Another reason why I don't like to work with machines or programs. When purchasing a game at the store, the guy selling won't just take my money and crash because of some kind of error. Though, I don't really have a problem with stuff like Amazon.com, this is mainly because I actually get what I ordered. I don't receive some info saying I have the game on my account, I get the actually game, the CD and everything.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:50:13 pm »

Steam, I love it for the things I can (but don't) buy there and hate it for the slow, clunky program that it is.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:57 pm »

I think Steam is great, and I haven't had any problems with it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »

I think Steam is great, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I've had a few problems...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:44:22 pm »

I hated steam so much when I had 56K dialup. I hated it nearly as much when I had my 512Kbps connection. Even with my fancy-pants university internet, and my 6Mbps internet at home, I still loathe it in principle. Personally, I long for the days when piracy was copying floppies, and the best defense was having to enter codes from the manual or a star chart or something absurd of that nature, and box-ins were common and frequently neat. The days of user manuals are fading fast... *wistful sigh*
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00:11 pm »

When 90 percent of the games on market consist of, W+LMB, do they really need manuals?
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4