Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foreign Adventurers in Fortress Mode  (Read 740 times)

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
Foreign Adventurers in Fortress Mode
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

In fortress mode players should have the option to give quests to foreign adventurers and/or the dwarves themselves.
Players could allow imigration of adventurers to their fortresses where the mayor/king could send them out on quests much like those in adventure mode. Dwarves themselves could be given an "Adventurer" job once a mayor arrives.
A list of quests could pile up based upon local fauna. For instance if a couple of Ogres attack and run off. One could dispatch an adventurer after them. Goblin fortresses could be involved here too (this overlaps into the armies update).
immigration should also bring foreign legends to the ears of your fortress giving "Treasure Hunt" kind of quests "Dragon Slayer" quests.
Well thats my 2 cents in trying to make the world feel more depth in joining, somewhat, adventure mode and fortress mode.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Adventurers in Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »

So basically NPCs that are spawned from civs that have no alligence to them, that come and offer their services to you? Sweet.
Hell, maybe even a legendary goblin /kobold that's finally smartened up and decided that it's easier to get the cash by working for the dwarves instead of attacking them.  :D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

yeah, time for some thread necromancy.

combine NPC adventurers into fortress-mode.  :D

Get back at that child-snatcher!
Offer a reward/bounty on a)any city that has bad relations. b)a villain that has malligned you. c)a dangerous creature/monster that is terrorising your dwarves.
Only possible with a Mayor. (or sherrif?)
Depending on the size of bounty offered in relation to strength of target, many or few visiting NPCs (and parties/gangs) may take you up on the offer.
Rate, race and quality of visitors varies according to distance to neighbour cities and owning civs.  

Build weapon/armour/misc&food shops so heroes can buy your well-crafted items and make you money.  
(selling to private persons always makes more money than selling to traders, the difference is in the quantities involved.)
Legendary items in a shop may attract adventurers who are so successfull they can afford it.  :D
plus good equipment increases chances of their succes... naturally you want them to succeed, you are not just luring them for their equipment.  ;)
Build a nice Inn (req. bed/Table/chair+food/drink, see bar&brawl thread) to accomodate them. Can't have those lanky humas laying around in the corridors!
charge them accordingly.

Anyone remember 'Majesty' ?
This game used a concept similar to this. (indirect controll over NPC-citizens)

Possibly should require an economy to be available. ?
Bartering bounties often involve princesses, knowing dwarves, many a dwarf-princess would have to learn to drink with her feet. :P

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

This...  sounds awesome.  Could we mod this?  Sign me up!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:50:00 am »

I loved Majesty, and I think that this sort of friendly NPC interaction would be a great addition.  It's still far off in the distance as far as updates are concerned, but I would really love to see this.  Does your fortress become the hip and happenin' place for an adventurer to be, with grand public dining halls serving scrumptious meals and prestigious nobles handing out profitable quests for any and all takers?  Or is it the adventurer death trap, packed with nasty traps and nastier dwarves who'll try to take your armor off your bones, but who also hold a massive treasure inside their fort?

Yep.  Sounds good to me.