Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping track of dwarf's skills.  (Read 951 times)

Ultrudeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Keeping track of dwarf's skills.
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:53 am »

Couple questions from a noob.
What is the best way to keep track of all the dwarfs skills?
If I rename a profession will they be renamed again automatically if they gain enough skill in a certain skill?
What does everyone else do to make sure that you have enough of each type of skill?

To simplify things I was thinking of something like grouping dwarfs with the same skills. Like 3 dwarfs all with butcher, tanning and cooking. 5 with armor smith, blacksmith, metal crafter, furnace operator and weapon smith.
Something along those lines. I haven't had a fortress go for more than a few years, so I don't have any experience with vast amounts of population, so I guess this would pertain to less than say 50 dwarfs.

Also, how does everyone name their dwarfs? I have just been numbering them to keep track of who I went through and assigned skills to. Is there a better way?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ultrudeus
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:44:37 am by Ultrudeus »

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: Keeping track of dwarf's skills.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:59:29 am »

What is the best way to keep track of all the dwarfs skills?
Either V -> g on a Dwarf, or use something like Dwarf Therapist (see modding section of the forum)
If I rename a profession will they be renamed again automatically if they gain enough skill in a certain skill?
No. If you rename a dwarf's profession to 'Builder', they will stay "Builder" until you rename them again.
What does everyone else do to make sure that you have enough of each type of skill?
Depends on what I'm going to do and how much of it I'm going to do. That falls to playstyle.

As for your layout, it could work, but I'd lower the amount and specialize a few dwarves. For instance, you want more Furnace Operators than you want Weaponsmith. Unlike Smelting, Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, and MEtalsmithing, let's say, have a dramatic effect on a dwarf becoming Legendary in the skill. (Furnace Operating has a strong effect, but it's speed only, bars don't have quality levels. Weapons and armors do.) So you should consider "Training" in your plans.
Sure, you could have 5 competent smelters/weaponsmith/armorsmith, but  wouldn't it be better to have 3 smelters, 1 legendary weaponsmith and 1 legendary armorsmith?
Unless you're hunting and butchering many, many animals all at once, one butcher and one tanner should do. You do want several masons, though, if you'll build towers/megaprojects. But if you won't build those, then you don't really need all that many, now do you?
Also consider your hauling needs. The more you produce, the more haulers you need to keep up with the workload.

Also, how does everyone name their dwarfs? I have just been numbering them to keep track of who I went through and assigned skills to. Is there a better way?
Personally, I don't give then nicknames. I rename everyone's professions into "Groups" (like Foodworkers, Leatherworkers, Clothiers, Metalworkers, Builders, etc) and use that. Though you could nickname them based on their *primary* skill. Or don't nickname them, it's all based on what works for you.

Cheers.

Ultrudeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:45:22 am »

Thanks for the info! I like the idea of grouping with custom professions. Sounds like that might solve one of my biggest problems.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:51:03 am »

A nice little thing on naming professions.  If you have two dwarfs with high grade swordsman on embark (just in case things get heavy quick) they start as pesants (perfect since you need SOMEONE to hall things)  You can name their profession to something to that affect (Swordsman) And it will stay between activation and deactivation of military.  How can you tell the difference then?  I believe all active military are a certain colour, while peasents are always light blue, miners grey, ect.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 11:27:37 am »

Active military are colored based on their highest weapon skill, or white if they're a Champion.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.