Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's Your First Post???  (Read 7631 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your First Post???
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00:36 am »

My first post is lost to the mists of time (and the forum move, I guess) and the oldest one I've made still on record is largely prickish and condescending, so I'm not going to quote it. I imagine it was overenthusiastic, and that I shouted DWAAARF FORTRESS! in it at one point or several.

I think i found it;

Well, um, yes, that's the prickish one that I didn't want to post. But it isn't my first post by a long shot.

At least it was reasonable. That was a little prickish, but seriously, "how do I brew beds" ranks somewhere around "how do I shot web" in terms of awesomeness.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 03:03:05 am »

hmm, my first post was for some reason not archived, must have been the forum transition...

I think it was something about how to link levers to floodgates
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 06:49:13 am »

Even the legendary folk (Armok, Akroma and ToonyMan) haven't been around for as long as I have

I feel...

old.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:55 am »

Recognizability on the forum is largely due to eccentricity. I'm sorta... reasonable... so I imagine I'm not all that noticeable, except maybe for my wicked cool avatar. Also let me say that bed brewing is still hilarious and I think I may go sig it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:32:29 am by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:14 am »

I have a question.

"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:32 am »

Arrrrrgh I want to make it into my avataaaaar aaaaarrrrrrgh but I caaan't aaaargh!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:23 am »

The funny part is, with his face stuffed full of beard like that, trying to say 'build' would come out as 'brewed'.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:52 am »

Guys, breaking news:

"The Empty Wild Suffering," a chestnut cup.  Bands of chestnut.<P>No, there's nothing in it.<P>Yes, the creator is a pessimist.  But she seems okay with it.<P>I'm actually pretty happy with how plain it is.  Much better than if it was decorated with images of travelling dwarves in emerald and menaced with spikes of harlequin opal.

Nil Eyeglazed is... coherent?!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 09:05:58 am »

how do you mine for fish ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:18 am »

how do you mine for fish ?
I believe I made a post on the modding forum to this same idea before. And even if not me somebody has suggested a fish-rock before.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:07 am »

I certain you can make a smelter reaction of some sort to create catfish which airdrown instantly, providing Food.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14:28 pm »

This post more brosome.

I searched for this, but couldn't find it anywhere.  When my King came to my fortress I found out he walked around with a steel crossbow and was skilled with it!  I thought that was pretty cool and I actually saw him use it to on one of my dwarfs that went crazy and started attacking people.<P>My question is:  Are Kings suppose to come skilled with crossbows?  <P>I'll post a picture if you want me to. Never mind I'll do it right now.<P>
My first question to ask about DF.  AND IT WAS WHY MY KING CAME WITH A CROSSBOW.  You know how brotacular that is dawg?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 12:59:29 pm »

Oh yes. My first post...

hey everyone, i'm new to this game and these forums and i got some big newb questions. please take note that i've already read a lot of the beginner guides on dwarf fortress wiki.

after experimenting with wall and moat technology, my paranoia with possible oncoming hordes bothers me. i have yet to be attacked by anything, but i don't grasp the game enough to create a military and thus rely on my army of cats and dogs to scare most small critters away. the place i've chosen is apparenly non-hostile to the extreme, but any help on making my fortress actually resemble something that can repel possible invaders would be appreciated.

mechanisms are beyond my grasp, period. i've read all the wiki articles i could find on switches, but i've yet to make one work. in particular, i want to make a floodgate work. i'm not sure how to actually connect the floodgate with the mechanism. whenever i try it just says that i "need more mechanisms" which confuses and dumbfounds me, and i'm pretty sure that the floodgate only has two settings "open" and "close" so i'm not why i'd need more than one switch, secondly, i'm not sure how to connect all the mechanisms to begin with!

after playing so long, a liaison or something came over with all his buddies. they walked all over and the chief guy stalked one of my dwarves for like a good half-hour while he was trying to dig. then he accidentally fell into one of the pits that he dug and got trapped into the moat i was building. he stayed in the until all his friends left and my moat was completed, and as the final channel that connected the river with the rest of the ditch was dug, water rushed into my moat, and scared the little liaison. he ran from the water to the inevitable dead end, where he drowned to death. he looked real important, but i've yet to be told that anything negative has come of this. will their be consequences in the future?

sincerely, this forums newest newb, Josh

Wow, was I dumb back then.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:05 pm »

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:55 pm »

Wow, was I dumb back then.

Like we all

I resent that. I contend that I popped out of the womb with a full knowledge of quantum mechanics, among myriad other things, just not the language to express it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4