Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's Your First Post???  (Read 7638 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your First Post???
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:03:57 am »

Eons ago in the forgotten ancient age known as "April" i made the following post;

So i have a minor carp problem, and by minor carp problem i mean there are like 30 of the buggers (along with various other fishies) in my river.

This probably wouldn't be much of a problem in and of itself, but i've decided to challenge myself by doing the 'live like a human' challenge as close as possible, and as a part of that i'd like to play around with moats, irrigation systems and water in general.

So, any ideas on how i can deal with the carp in the river so i can make it safe(ish)?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 08:13:59 am »

Eons ago in the forgotten ancient age known as "April" i made the following post;

So i have a minor carp problem, and by minor carp problem i mean there are like 30 of the buggers (along with various other fishies) in my river.

This probably wouldn't be much of a problem in and of itself, but i've decided to challenge myself by doing the 'live like a human' challenge as close as possible, and as a part of that i'd like to play around with moats, irrigation systems and water in general.

So, any ideas on how i can deal with the carp in the river so i can make it safe(ish)?

You monster. YOU MONSTER.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 08:20:07 am »

Mine was another Nist Akath *generic praise* post.  I'd been lurking for a long while, but that thread got me to actually want to say something.

Add me to the long list of people who signed up just because of this thread!

I just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic story, and good luck with the new version!

(also, if you're taking requests, I'd love a character:
  Name: Mondark
  Race/Gender:  Whatever you've got available.)
Fefeshnelmargalip

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 08:25:12 am »

Ok, so I've added the [PET] tag and the [trAINABLE] tag to goblins, but I can't train them at the kennels with tame large animal. Does anyone have the solution?

I eventually trained a goblin when one of them gave birth, but the baby trained war goblin just wandered out thirsty.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 09:59:16 am »

I found, and necro-updated my very first post, considering there was an image in there.

Topic: I think I've played too much DF
What do you think?

I swear, Dawrves are running the TV networks nowadays.  :P

NOTE: This picture is not shopped or modified in any way.

EDIT: Necro updated. Picture revived.
Funny thing, even the shows a good hour after this lineup were still relevant.

It was funnier considering all the descriptions of each episode listed as well. It's a shame I didn't log them all in; but they were all DF related. It just seemed an appropriate time to post it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 10:11:24 am »

You can mine/trade for all the ingredients, so can you make it at an alchemists workshop?

That's it, I wanted to blow shit up. Still do, in fact.

That post started a three page argument that question weather gunpowder/firearms should ever go into DF. The conclusion was that improvised explosives should be in, i.e. bags full of gunpowder.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:49 pm »

I found, and necro-updated my very first post, considering there was an image in there.

Topic: I think I've played too much DF
What do you think?

-snip-

I swear, Dawrves are running the TV networks nowadays.  :P

NOTE: This picture is not shopped or modified in any way.

EDIT: Necro updated. Picture revived.
Funny thing, even the shows a good hour after this lineup were still relevant.

It was funnier considering all the descriptions of each episode listed as well. It's a shame I didn't log them all in; but they were all DF related. It just seemed an appropriate time to post it.

Awesome picture.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 12:55:23 pm »

My first real death would have to have been just recently, because it's the only time I've laughed at my dwarves as they died. I had turned off invaders in the files, so I could get a fortress to it's feet hassle free, and then turn them back on when I was finally ready. Well, I train 4 marksdwarves, I get a good food supply and a large farm, and I've got everything fortified, with plenty of weak weapon traps here and there to whittle them down as they reached my gate. A siege starts, just as planned. I lock all my dwarves into their jobs, station my marksdwarves at the fortifications one z-level above my gate, they've got tons of ammo, my farmers are farming, the booze is flowing, it's all perfect. A dwarf is proclaimed dead on the announcements. I pause, zoom in, and see a goblin there. I immediately scour my fortress only to realize that I had forgotten to raise the drawbridge that connected the bottom floor of my fort to the river bank several z-levels down. These gobbos had crept along the ramps leading up to my funnel of doom, in order to sneak in through a well with stairs nearby. I had to just sit there and laugh as maybe 20 gobbos tore through my civilians and beat my marksdwarves to death.

About a half hour after I registered.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »

Something along the lines of my signature...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 09:04:56 pm »

My first post is lost to the mists of time (and the forum move, I guess) and the oldest one I've made still on record is largely prickish and condescending, so I'm not going to quote it. I imagine it was overenthusiastic, and that I shouted DWAAARF FORTRESS! in it at one point or several.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 09:38:59 pm »

My first post is lost to the mists of time (and the forum move, I guess) and the oldest one I've made still on record is largely prickish and condescending, so I'm not going to quote it. I imagine it was overenthusiastic, and that I shouted DWAAARF FORTRESS! in it at one point or several.

I hear ya.  Everyone has to say that atleast once, as in scream DWARRRRFFFFF FOOORRRRTTTTTRRESSSSS or something similar, let me find it.

I can't wait! ;D

DDDWWWAAARRRFF FFFOOORRRTTTRRREEESSSSSS!!!!!!

EDIT:  I forgot how awesome that thread was.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:40:48 pm by ToonyMan »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 09:44:03 pm »

I think i found it;

I don't want to sound rude, but this probably will:
Is this your first time on the internet? Or at least, downloading anything off of it? Everything (just about) is in compressed files, and if you don't understand what that means I recommend you read the wikipedia article on them.<P>Compression:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
Zip Files:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29<P>Basically, a compressed file has information 'encoded', for instance the code for 101101011011 might be represented in a file by 100001 instead (this example is probably completely unrealistic), making the file smaller and faster to download. "Unzipping" it is efectively 'decoding' the file back to its original state, for which you need a 'decoding' program. XP's Windows Explorer has one built in, but Winzip and Winrar are both nice as well. Also, many compression types take multiple files (.exe, .bat, .txt, .bmp) and mesh them together as one file for ease of transport. Hope this helped ( I bet a thousand other people are typing the same basic thing right now.)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47:27 pm »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rondol:
<STRONG>]It seems we are using Pantsheim rules, which clearly state that we make up rules as we go along, and no rule can contradict any other rule.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Going with this...<P>I play Pi, from rule 3.14159265, which allows me to summon 2 !!LOGICAL PARADOX!!es and a glowing pit. However, it states that I am unable to use adamantine.
I started my posting with Tacticus!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »

I think i found it;

Well, um, yes, that's the prickish one that I didn't want to post. But it isn't my first post by a long shot.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »

My profile list of posts thing doesn't have my first post. IIRC, I was asking how to get sand from sandy clay loam or something similar. In my next post I asked how to mod dirt so that it would usable as sand.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4