Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worthy Trade off?  (Read 2723 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worthy Trade off?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 10:55:34 am »

Put it in a weapon trap. While he made an elf weapon, he can now arm your marksdwarves in the dwarfiest manner possible. Remember, quality does effect ranged damage, it's material that doesn't, so a bunch of marksdwarves with masterwork crossbows will put a real hurting on the elves.

I say that in order for him to redeem himself, he must make wooden crossbows, which must be used to claim hundreds of elvish lives. That should prove, once and for all, that he was merely crazy when he made the bow and not an elf-symp or worse.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:27 pm »

Sounds like a plan. Now if I just need to deconstruct the trade post around the elves every time they arrive to eventually drive them to attack me. Or just sieze EVERYTHING BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway. I'd find an elf attack hilarious. My fort is already killing trolls and worse who attempt to get through. Obok, my weapon master (read his epic in the community and stories board), is basically masterly in everything except wrestling, which he's legendary in. I've literally had his weapon preferences changed in mid battle, him pick up a fallen enemy weapon, and go to town on them STILL. And if he's disarmed, he just snaps their necks with his bare hands. Elves would be hilarious with their wooden armor and weapons.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:36 pm »

Actually, you'd need arrows to stop the constant spam of NO AMMO FOR TRAP cancellations.

I had the same problem with my tower-cap blowgun which menaced with spikes of tower-cap.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 12:18:55 pm »

Actually, you'd need arrows to stop the constant spam of NO AMMO FOR TRAP cancellations.

I had the same problem with my tower-cap blowgun which menaced with spikes of tower-cap.

I buy out arrow stocks whenever traders show up, for my traps.  But!  Your problems can be circumvented by (d-b-f) forbidding the trap.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:13 pm »

put it in a weapon trap in a high traffic area.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ARROWS FIRST
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 07:35:00 pm »

I've always seen Fey moods as positive (read: elvish) versions of possesions. Only secretive, fell, and macabre moods are actually the dwarf doing the work in my mind. So, can you blame him if the spirit of some elf possesed him? He fought it and made it as dwarvy as possible!
The spikes... so bueatiful...the batman... so awesome...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:03 pm »

Awww come on! Let the dwarf live  :D
He made a picture of Batman on it ;D
Was just about to say the same thing.
The goddamn Batman!
See?  It's not a bow, it's the batarang.  The Dwarves have just never seen anything like it so they strung it and called it a bow.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 08:20:42 pm »

Think about it this way.

He pissed off the elves to make a elvish weapon.

Not one tree, but TWO.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »

If you think of it he was probably confused and thought cacme was your civ leader.  He wanted to appease his elven king of dwarfs.  Unfortunatly he was sadly crazy from lack of alcohol because you refused to give it to him after you caught him in bed with a wood nymph. 

Why wouldnt the elves take an artifact bow? Cmon man what are all their weapons made of stone? >.>

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:35 am »

Well, according to google, Fey does mean crazy. It's hard to blame him for making a bow while temporarily insane. He did have batman on it, and spikes.

I go with the "Put him in a hall way with traps and if he lives he won't be executed"

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:11 am »

If you think of it he was probably confused and thought cacme was your civ leader.  He wanted to appease his elven king of dwarfs.  Unfortunatly he was sadly crazy from lack of alcohol because you refused to give it to him after you caught him in bed with a wood nymph

what is this i dont even

I've always seen Fey moods as positive (read: elvish) versions of possesions. Only secretive, fell, and macabre moods are actually the dwarf doing the work in my mind. So, can you blame him if the spirit of some elf possesed him? He fought it and made it as dwarvy as possible!
The spikes... so bueatiful...the batman... so awesome...

Fey moods in Tolkien are not nice to be around, so I always assumed it was a very negative sort of thing - bordering on Fell.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 08:21:57 am »

Put it in a weapon trap. While he made an elf weapon, he can now arm your marksdwarves in the dwarfiest manner possible. Remember, quality does effect ranged damage, it's material that doesn't, so a bunch of marksdwarves with masterwork crossbows will put a real hurting on the elves.

I don't quite get what you mean. You mean that a masterwork wood crossbow will have the same range damage as a masterwork adamantine crossbow (or more plausibly, steel)? In melee, obviously things are different. Or are you talking about the bolts here?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 12:58:01 pm »

I don't quite get what you mean. You mean that a masterwork wood crossbow will have the same range damage as a masterwork adamantine crossbow (or more plausibly, steel)? In melee, obviously things are different. Or are you talking about the bolts here?

High quality bows and crossbows will inflict more damage when you shoot with them.  I imagine they propel the ammo with more force or something.  The material used only matters for melee damage though, so yes, the masterwork wood crossbow and masterwook steel crossbow will do the same ranged damage with the same ammo.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 02:36:13 pm »

It's only material that doesn't effect damage for bows, right?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 02:37:28 pm »

It's only material that doesn't effect damage for bows, right?

Only when ranged is concerned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3