Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Space colonization[IRL]  (Read 22870 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space colonization[IRL]
« Reply #135 on: November 13, 2009, 06:02:48 pm »

aluminium oxide isnt bauxite. aluminium oxide is what forms on the surface of pretty much all aluminium, while bauxite is Al(OH)3, γ-AlO(OH), and α-AlO(OH).

also, bauxite is actually kinda rubbish to use for fireproofing... the only reason its so famous is because mechanisms can only be made from stone...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2009, 09:22:18 pm »

It was worth a try.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2009, 09:33:20 pm »

Way to kill the DF mod for the moon colony. I guess that big [IRL] is still hanging over our heads even when we make tongue-in-cheek remarks.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2009, 10:04:40 pm »

Remember how they asploded those rockets on the moon 'bout a month ago in that permanently shadowed crater?

It found water.

Lots of it.

About 25 gallons worth, from a report i was reading. Google even made today a little holiday-thingy where they put it up on the website for the thing. Gonna make moon colonies that much easier.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:24 pm »

Remember how they asploded those rockets on the moon 'bout a month ago in that permanently shadowed crater?

It found water.

Lots of it.

About 25 gallons worth, from a report i was reading. Google even made today a little holiday-thingy where they put it up on the website for the thing. Gonna make moon colonies that much easier.

Let's not be insane here. 2 gallons: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091113-water-on-the-moon.html
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2009, 12:03:06 am »

NASA isn't giving any quantity...

Anyway, concentration not quantity is the important thing. Its still bloody nice to have it there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:04:58 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2009, 12:30:38 am »

Of course mining that water is still gonna be a bitch regardless.  I wonder if it would just be easier to bring comet to the moon.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2009, 12:53:22 am »

It found water.

Lots of it.

Let's not be insane here. 2 gallons: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/091113-water-on-the-moon.html
"a dozen 2-gallon (7.6-liter) buckets"

That's... 24 gallons, right?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2009, 01:40:52 am »

Yea. I wonder if the moonwater tastes good.

Then again, it probably has salt in it, but i'm not sure of that. No germs of course, since the moon is sterile and all that.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2009, 08:10:10 am »

Of course mining that water is still gonna be a bitch regardless.  I wonder if it would just be easier to bring comet to the moon.
this. we can have iron asteroids, why cant we have ice asteroids?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2009, 08:37:56 am »

Yea. I wonder if the moonwater tastes good.

Then again, it probably has salt in it, but i'm not sure of that. No germs of course, since the moon is sterile and all that.

It also has a... well, very large percentage of ultra fine jagged grains of rock in it too. Or the rock has small concentrations of water. Its not a standing pool though.
Magma is overrated.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

this. we can have iron asteroids, why cant we have ice asteroids?
It's not like moon has atmosfer to burn the ice, right, guys?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:02 am »

Will it be difficult to build 2 solar plants, one of each side of the moon, so there's always one active ? Then you'll just have to transport it to a central base or something.

I don't know about the power loss in the transportation tough, even if the lack of atmosphere could mean there's less loss by heat ?

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2009, 11:07:35 am »

even without the atmo, the wires will still heat up. you'd be better off just putting a solar plant in orbit so it always faces the sun.

and i dont think we should get too excited by the prospect of loads of water on the moon. 24 gallons isnt overly plentiful, and the effort itd take to mine it would be pretty great. besides that, i would assume that thats one of the most water-rich areas of the moon - i doubt its like that all over.

im going with the ice 'roid tbh.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2009, 12:28:15 pm »

Will it be difficult to build 2 solar plants, one of each side of the moon, so there's always one active ? Then you'll just have to transport it to a central base or something.

I don't know about the power loss in the transportation tough, even if the lack of atmosphere could mean there's less loss by heat ?

Difficult? not really? Though you would probably need 3 solar plants to keep a steady power supply. Oh, and it would weigh much much more than a mini nuclear plant capable of outputting the same amount of power. Eventually, that would be the ideal, hell for robust permanent lunar colonization, might as well build 3+ colonies and link them by rail transport and power conduits.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13