Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Space colonization[IRL]  (Read 22856 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space colonization[IRL]
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:02:06 pm »

By the end of our lifetimes we will probably see the moon colonized and nearly fully developed, and possibly the foundations of colony's on mars, unless a apocalyptic-class event happens.

Getting to be a colonist would probably be restricted to very, VERY rich people for quite a few years until advancing technology makes it possible for people to move to the moon with a rather large loan. Many industry's would probably move to the moon, as theres no atmosphere to fuck up, thus boosting the Lunar Economy.

So, would you guys move to a moon colony if you got the chance? It seems to be the topic of discussion everywhere nowadays, on the internets, the news..

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Space colonization[IRL]
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:06:12 pm »

x2? I don't think this belongs in Life Advice yet. Maybe when they build a colony... :D

Anyway, having a population on the moon for an amount of time would be interesting. The kids would all be much taller I assume, because there's less gravity, and also all of their food would come from hydroponics and probably small livestock.

I wouldn't, though. This is the only home I've had for the past two decades.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 11:15:16 pm »

Fully colonized? Within our lifetimes? Australia isn't even fully colonized! And while that place is more dangerous than the Moon we have enough of a head-start to make up for it.

But even if we don't live there the scientific results would be amazing. Already we are making the materials industries explode making materials for these missions. The results of these developments will result in easier future space stravel.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 11:16:01 pm »

i mean in reverse-hindsight, :(

But yeah, hydroponics and some livestock. Eventually it would probably split up into different colonys for different nations unless some united order emerges.

EDIT:Yea, their blowing the moon up to see if their probe can spot water-particles, because the wat0rz would make colonizing that much easier.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04:43 am »

They say they are gonna shoot the moon to see if theres ice.

Though, we need oxygen to, probably get some factories up there and at least make an atmosphere of some kind of gas.

And gravity. It would be awful when your mail gets delivered and it floats off.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:23:12 am »

I don't understand why we would want to colonize the moon. The climate is beyond inhospitable requiring great amounts of work to do anything with. The travel to and from the moon would be extremely expensive, getting materials there would also. there are so many expenses.
All these costs, for what? It would be easier and more profitable to set up a base in the middle of the Sahara.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:36:10 am »

They say they are gonna shoot the moon to see if theres ice.

Though, we need oxygen to, probably get some factories up there and at least make an atmosphere of some kind of gas.

And gravity. It would be awful when your mail gets delivered and it floats off.

For the record, 1/3 of water is oxygen. They could split the molecules given something else the hydrogen an bond to (I believe such a system is used in some submarines).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:39:15 am »

Why the hell would we colonize the moon? Every bit of land on earth, including Antarctica, would be easier to colonize than the moon.

I can imagine a hundred or so scientists and rich tourists on the moon by the end of my life, but it makes no sense to live there.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 12:46:52 am »

Because of... He3! It would be like a gold rush, only IN SPACE.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 01:02:11 am »

SPACE GOLD!

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 01:40:50 am »

Spoiler: do to slight rantness (click to show/hide)
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 01:45:15 am »

So, would you guys move to a moon colony if you got the chance?

That sounds like "Would you move to a rocky desert with no atmosphere, several seconds of lag, and several million miles from anything interesting." I'd only go there if someone forced me to. Heck, not even for space gold.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 02:15:35 am »

well i mean once they got hotels and stuff up, muz. Oh, and a internet and cable relay thing..

BAY12 ON THE MOON

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:29 am »

lag on the moon will always be several seconds, no matter what infrastructure you build. it is about light speed. moon is far.

move to a moon colony... if i had the chance, i think i would do it.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 04:28:45 am »

Totally.

The point has never been: 'The moon hasn't got anything useful on it, it's tourism'
The point is: 'Let's get that darn moon and prove the technological superiorness of our country!'

That bein said, it could be that a new colonial age begins with the moon and Mars, with factions (Namely the USA, Europe, Russia, maybe India and China) getting claiming their land. Not because it is immediately useful, but for the sake of it and because it may become useful. That's quite a few years from now though, and it is extremely unrealistic that the same would happen outside of this solar system for the next few hundred years.
Colonizing outside of this solar system is senseless without superluminar travel.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13