Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Space colonization[IRL]  (Read 22823 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Space colonization[IRL]
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2009, 02:02:35 pm »

If I designed a moon colony, I'd put it underground, with pressurized steel tunnels. Solar arrays on the surface would provide energy constantly (the same side of the moon is always facing the sun.) It would help with shielding people from solar radiation (as I believe Palazzo said.)
Oh, you must've misunderstood Palazzo's words.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2009, 03:19:11 pm »

(the same side of the moon is always facing the sun.)

I think your confused there mate. the same side of the moon always faces us, not the sun.

Erp. ::)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2009, 03:43:23 pm »

Btw, with the Moon always facing the Earth, all that would be needed for a Moon->Earth transportation system (with more or less pinpoint accuracy) is a magnetic acceleration railway a few kilometers in length. Think one of those odd rollercoaster-like thingys, but on a bigger scale and with the track just ending instead of circling around to the exit booth. Solar panels provide power, and cargo can be shipped once a month without trouble. Of course, that's assuming you don't make a whole lot of them solar arrays all over the surface.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 09:01:35 pm »

Yeah.  On the moon, you never have to worry about radio communications dropping out every night, because you aren't facing the earth.

You have to worry about more extreme causes.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 09:28:45 pm »

I expect to see the moon colonized in our lifetimes, not for the He3, but for the iron and silicon ("moondust" is silicon+oxygen).  With little more then iron, one can create a very large space station at the L4 or L5 lagrange points between the earth and the moon.  Simply rotate the station to produce artificial gravity and viola, you have an environment better then anything on earth.  Abundant sunlight for electricity generation and plant growth, whatever weather you want year round, no natural disasters, no population pressures and the ability to go on recreational EVA's in zero gees.  None of this requires any fancy technology for anything other then first getting people into space.

Counterintuitive as it may seem, it would actually be cheaper and safer to live in space.  Because the moon is a source of abundant supplies of iron and silicon, it would  be possible for space colonization to proceed at a nearly exponential growth rate.  There's enough of the moon to easily make a space station home for every human being alive many times over.  From the time humanity builds its first O'Neil cylinder, it might be less then a couple decades before most people are living in space.

One day, people will look back at the 20th and 21st century and wonder why we couldn't understand that space colonization was so easy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:31:00 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 05:21:00 am »

warning: post probably misinformed, little research, highly idealistic.

One day, people will look back at the 20th and 21st century and wonder why we couldn't understand that space colonization was so easy.
because we couldn't see farther than our mobile phone /MP3.
And probably several other, useless, reasons.

We have the technology, we had it in 1970 already. The problem here is that after cold war, people just forgot that there is anything beyond satellites. And maybe they forgot even them.

The space agencies are underfunded. Very underfunded. Why? they are losing money. So? I thought that was the whole point of government owned space agencies? Act when there is no immediate profit to be done? If they are made for profit, they may as well be owned by private citizens, who would at least try to improve technology for profit.
Space is a long term investment . Which will probably turn out to be the best ever made should we ever take the risk.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 05:25:50 am »

lag on the moon will always be several seconds, no matter what infrastructure you build. it is about light speed. moon is far.

move to a moon colony... if i had the chance, i think i would do it.

You can probably teleport your fricking lag into oblivion. Have you considered about that yet?
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35:02 am »

actually, no. How would i do such a thing?

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:32 am »

I read an article about how teleportation might speed up computers. It's currently not possible to use teleportation in computing or utilise it in network connections, but maybe in 50 years the scientists will figure out something. If you could have a teleporter you wouldn't have to send anything physical over a distance and thus be limited by the speed of light.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:09:33 am by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:43 am »

I read an article about how teleportation might speed up computers. It's currently not possible to use teleportation in computing or utilise it in network connections, but maybe in 50 years the scientists will figure out something. If you could have a teleporter you wouldn't have to send anything physical over a distance and thus be limited by the speed of light.
I think you mean quantum computing. Don't even think about using quantum teleportation principles on humans or other objects, quantums are quantums and atoms are atoms.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

Quantums are not atoms, but they are 1)physical and 2)countable. Therefore, they can carry information. If you can cause a sequence of signals in a receiver using quantum teleportation, you will solve the problem of internet on Mars.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2009, 01:12:27 pm »

Quantums are not atoms, but they are 1)physical and 2)countable. Therefore, they can carry information. If you can cause a sequence of signals in a receiver using quantum teleportation, you will solve the problem of internet on Mars.

But still, quantum teleportation does not, I repeat not make 'normal' teleportation possible because quantums are something entirely different. For all we know of quantum teleportation, teleportion of atomar objects may be possible, but not with the principles of quantum teleportation.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »

Conduct a process that will explode an atom into quantums, and teleport them in such a way that they recombine into the atom. This physics discussion is about as meaningless as that sentence.

Back to space colonization. If we speak of the Moon colonies, I can see it happening in the next few decades providing the crisis abates, but even then they'll be mostly mining, engineering, and scientific outposts.

What is really needed for such short-distance interplanetary travel is a form of propulsion that would utilize magnetic fields. Ion drives won't provide enough thrust, and I don't know of any other engine system working off electricity alone.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 03:30:55 pm »

That's like pushing actual paper through fax machine cables.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 03:44:07 pm »

quanta, people, quanta
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13