Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interesting spot I just found  (Read 3491 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting spot I just found
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:27:43 pm »

About 70 z-levels tall, chasm, cave river, magma pipe, HFS, sand, a fair amount of trees (it's in a swamp).  No bauxite though.  The view is...well, lemme show you:

That hole in the side of the mountain is the magma-pipe.

I'm not usually one to go for these sorts of locations, but...I could do something interesting with this one.

World Gen Info for those of you who might be interested.  I'll see if I can dig up the map location in a bit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting spot I just found
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »

That looks really cool, pity about the no bauxite, a noob like me won't be able to make much use of this map :(

But, does turning off temperature remove the need for bauxite? In my current map I noticed some of my miners drowned in magma

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »

Magma can't do anything except power your forges and react with water when you turn off temperature.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »

I think I remember reading something about depending on which civ you come from, they can supply you with bauxite, despite the lack of it in the area. So, there's a remedy.

I can think of all sorts of things that location can be used for. You can make a sort of castle above the magma pipe, and have an execution shaft with glass windows for all to watch the poor sap fall into the magma pipe. Build a dining room, statue garden, and a trade depot with that as the centerpiece. Entertainment for all.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:34:28 pm »

I genned the world with the molten Rocks Mod and it turned all the sand into Sandy Loam...

Not sure if the trade was worth it, but it looks like an awesome site for a Mega Project, maybe a dwarf-made lake or something.  Also that's not just a magma pipe, it's a volcano.  Also the HFS is in a really nice out of the way spot.  Bonus points because you can set it all up to drop an entire mountain on those clowns.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:37:53 pm by Goinstadi »
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:25 pm »

Forgot that it was a volcano and not just a regular magma pipe.  Here's the location on the map:

Unfortunately, it runs super slow on my computer, so I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything with it myself.  But it's such a cool location that I figured somebody out there would get some use out of it.  I had a vision of cutting the tops off of those spikes, and building a lookout tower with connecting bridges to the main fortress.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »

how big an embark was that?  awesome, btw

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:12:32 pm »

Looks like 16x16 to me.

Zruku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 06:45:41 pm »

Forgot that it was a volcano and not just a regular magma pipe.  Here's the location on the map:

Unfortunately, it runs super slow on my computer, so I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything with it myself.  But it's such a cool location that I figured somebody out there would get some use out of it.  I had a vision of cutting the tops off of those spikes, and building a lookout tower with connecting bridges to the main fortress.
What year did you stop it around?

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 07:31:48 pm »

Heh...The embark I used was only 5x5.  Anything more than that and I don't know what to do with the space.  I could drop the size down a bit to get a higher FPS, but then I start losing stuff.  I'll hunt elsewhere and leave the mega projects to you all.  :D

What year did you stop it around?

It looks like the world generation stopped at around 312.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 08:57:45 pm »

It's almost as if every interesting natural landform decided to have a party or something in the middle of a swamp.
HFS and cave river was invited too, but it was out of pity. Large spire, chasm, and magma pipe don't like them.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:03:04 pm »

I love the names.

The ignited swamp. (Heh. The RNG's trying to give us hints.)

Volcano: The glowing furnace (AWESOME)

Brook: Poemshoveled the Skewered Future (Again, ideas. Possibly a fort defended by speardwarves and marksdwarves only.)
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 09:15:47 pm »

The perfect place to put the tombs of your fallen kings, amirite?
Spoiler: pretty big image (click to show/hide)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »

I genned the world with the molten Rocks Mod and it turned all the sand into Sandy Loam...
Note that you can simply remove that mod for genning and then add it back in.  It doesn't add any entries, just edits existing ones.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 10:05:21 pm »

Know what I'd do with a site like that?
Build a big tower enclosing that lava pit where my dwarves would live and work.

Then some orcs would come around and mess everything up (I give all civs in my games (except kobolds) buildingdestroyer:2).
Pages: [1] 2 3