Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Interesting spot I just found  (Read 3489 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Interesting spot I just found
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 05:00:18 pm »

I generated it with my mods in, and used a 5 x 8 to get the brook.  The underground river is two-level, ending in a bottomless pit.  By this I mean that the water falls 3 levels from a first section to a second section.  Then the second section falls into the pit after travelling about the same distance horizontally.

There is a GCS in the chasm.

There is plenty of flux but I could not locate any iron.

One aquifer is located on the same level as the rock roof of the circus.  Can you drown clowns?  You'd have to cut a channel to the correct spot, but it's only one level of channeling to open the roof.  My clowns appeared to be the perverted sorts.  Maybe you could even carve fortifications into the final wall and drop the water in that way.

Like the OP, I leave this site to more adventurous players, but it certainly is amazing terrain.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 02:15:56 pm »

Based on my understanding of how fluid pressure can pass U-bends in DF, the output will rise to the level of the top pump at the end no matter how many dips the pipe makes in between.  So if you built enormously tall pump stacks in those steep peaks, and then just have the fluid make a U-turn and go back down again, then you'd have a pressurized plumbing system capable of pushing fluid up to any other Z level on the map.   With two peaks and the brook to the south, you could use one peak for magma and the other for water.  Or you could build a double pump stack in one mountain peak, with a central column of access stairs between the pumps.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »

Aha!  I found the staue that belongs over that magma pipe.   ;D

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=608.msg6381#msg6381

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:42 pm »

What Flux are you on about. None of which are on this map unless your mods adjusted it.
Where is the GCS I have been looking to no end for one, but once again none unless your Mods adjusted that...
There is TONS of IRON on the map. Once again. Mods might have changed that...

WHAT Mods are you using???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 03:11:16 am »

I genned this world, used a cut-down, 4X3 version of the embark for speed (just the magma and cave river.)

Proceeded to try to make a nice, pretty fort with all these circley shapes and things.

Dug upwards as far as I could, to get space for future dwarves.

Hit the cave river from underneath. With a stairway. Directly above my fort. Going to see whether it washes all my dorfs into the magma pipe. Might upload the map to the DFMA.

Other than that, excellent embark.

Map compressor's being evil, so here's the download link for the entire bloody game: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1490
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:33:31 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 03:12:33 am »

I just embarked here, and as autumn arrived I got the message that my carpenter could not make any beds, because he had no logs to work with.  "OK," I said, "I'll just go cut some trees down right over... where?"  I scanned the entire map, but could find no trees in any of the grassy areas.  Possible bug?

Update: I just re-checked, and there's not even any saplings growing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:31:05 am by cbpye »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 05:30:07 am »

Did you do a reveal and stuff on another Map.
I always had that problem whenever I revealed the map before hand then reverted back...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 09:21:41 am »

What Flux are you on about. None of which are on this map unless your mods adjusted it.
Where is the GCS I have been looking to no end for one, but once again none unless your Mods adjusted that...
There is TONS of IRON on the map. Once again. Mods might have changed that...

WHAT Mods are you using???

Check the chasm in the upper lefthand corner, about 13 levels up from the bottom.  Mine has a tunnelled-out section there which is larger than the others.  It had a cave spider there, until the antmen, cave swallowmen, rats, and gremlins killed it.

My location was large enough to include the brook.  You might find some marble down there.

I use the cat-mouth fix, plus the gentle farming mod with honey bees, cacao bushes, and reindeer moss added.  I also have an "all-economic stones section" in my smelter, which makes it possible for me to turn off usage of any type of stone.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 11:37:44 am »

Did you do a reveal and stuff on another Map.
I always had that problem whenever I revealed the map before hand then reverted back...

I gen'ed the world, embarked, and checked some things out.  I then gen'ed it again for actual play.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »

Hmm...I wonder if I can replicate that site in Civilization Forge. The new rocks I added in will muck with things a bit, but hopefully I can get the basic shape.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 [3]