Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 64116 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »

If a person is baptised, are they "locked in" to that religion for life?

Yes.  The water contains a neuro-virus, cultivated from organic material in the Holy Grail, that instantly kills the baptized at the first sign of lapsed belief.  It can only be removed by alcohol, and that's how we got prohibition.  The more you know.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2009, 04:34:30 pm »

I believe in the God Emperor am a "Soft Agnostic", at least I think that's the term. I was raised as a christian, but should I ever use God in a sentence it's to curse someone.

Religion is actually a good thing. They give the followers an overarching goal in life, a set of rules to uphold, and a role model to idolize. It's the people in the religion that take it down that dark road... 

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »

How many bloody sub factions of christianity are there?!

A lot. See for yourself. There are enough Christian denominations that you could wallpaper the Pentagon with tracts if you really tried.

Atheism is a paradox! How can we not believe in anything, and at the same time, believe that there is no god!
Atheists don't necessarily have no beliefs.  Paradox solved.

Don't never use double negatives.
Also: Atheists worship the god <a href="http://www.magnes.org/windows/>Atheon[/url]. ;D

(On a more serious note) An Atheist is just someone who denies the existence of a supernatural God. They can still have "beliefs," if you will, such as morals. They can also believe in sci-ence.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

Yes.  The water contains a neuro-virus, cultivated from organic material in the Holy Grail, that instantly kills the baptized at the first sign of lapsed belief.  It can only be removed by alcohol, and that's how we got prohibition.  The more you know.

Nice.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2009, 05:47:11 pm »

How many bloody sub factions of christianity are there?!

A lot. See for yourself. There are enough Christian denominations that you could wallpaper the Pentagon with tracts if you really tried.

Atheism is a paradox! How can we not believe in anything, and at the same time, believe that there is no god!
Atheists don't necessarily have no beliefs.  Paradox solved.

Don't never use double negatives.
Also: Atheists worship the god <a href="http://www.magnes.org/windows/>Atheon[/url]. ;D

(On a more serious note) An Atheist is just someone who denies the existence of a supernatural God. They can still have "beliefs," if you will, such as morals. They can also believe in sci-ence.

Athe. They worship Athe, goddess of Atheism.

But the catholic church isn't just a group of people with similar beliefs the way atheism or protestants dominations are. Its a centralized organization with a rigid hierarchical framework almost like a corporation.

The hierarchy goes like this:

1. Bishops
2. Lay and Priests

That's it. And for the record, the Pope's just another Bishop, which is why he doesn't have that much power.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2009, 06:54:33 pm »

That's it. And for the record, the Pope's just another Bishop, which is why he doesn't have that much power.
*Blink*
That statement is so false. Even the 21st century pope still has a lot of power.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19:50 pm »

Ha.  But more seriously, strictly speaking you can change your religion if you want.  Some churches tell you otherwise, though.  But those are just the organizations, not the religion itself.  I've always felt that to be an important distinction.

I feel I might have been lucky as far as religious education facilities go.  The Catholic elementary school I went to didin't only teach evolution, but approved of it.  They had a 'Religion' class, but from what I remember it was essentially basic theology, rather than preaching or something like that. 
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2009, 07:31:59 pm »

*Blink*
That statement is so false. Even the 21st century pope still has a lot of power.

The pope is the queen of england with a bit more power.
Aka a figure head.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49:21 pm »

Well, I dunno much about the Queen of England, but yeah that's pretty much it. Policy is decided by all Bishops. The reason it seems like it's decided by the Pope is, well, the reason they elected him is because he represents the view of the majority.

*Blink*

Tack. Seriously. You're correcting a Catholic about her church's leader?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »

Tack. Seriously. You're correcting a Catholic about her church's leader?

Sir! I do believe you are a man!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2009, 07:54:33 pm »

I'm aware it's a little difficult to convey through text but the least you could do would be to check her profile.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:58 pm »

Awkwaaaard

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:40 pm »

I'm going to go make some tea.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:07 pm »

OOOH, I sees the boobline on the avatar now.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »

A little easier for hippoman. At least the title clearly displays the gender.

Many of us are the opposite. Like jackrabbit. Only through personality would I ascertain that he is a man.

.... Giggle.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20