Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 64150 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2009, 07:57:12 pm »

As to these inconsistencies, I would respectfully contest your claim that the Bible contradicts itself. However, if you could mention any of these inconsistencies, I would be more than happy to discuss them in detail.

Let's not discuss that on this thread. I'd like to discuss other little details on religion too, but seeing the patterns, I think that'd kill this thread, like all the other religion ones. I'm happy with this one being just a "declare your religion" one :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2009, 08:51:44 pm »

Well not on this thread of course, but if you want to PM me about it, that's fine too.

On a side note, I feel pleased to have created an artifact recently started a thread about religion that has no flaming (yet.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2009, 12:07:03 am »

Athiest. Used to be agnostic, but then I realized that the only way there could be a god would be if it was trying as hard as it could to hide its existence.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2009, 12:53:02 am »

Agnostic, leaning towards atheism. That is, I think it's doubtful that there are any gods. I'm a bit of a maltheist towards Christianity and Islam, because if I understand the tenets correctly then anyone who doesn't both believe in and worship God is condemned to hell. Frankly, I don't think any god who allows that is worthy of worship, and even if I was shown proof that one of those religions is right then I wouldn't follow it. After all, I'd only be doing so out of self-interest.

In fact, any omnipotent god who allows a hell at all is pretty nasty, especially because in a perfect place (i.e. heaven), there wouldn't be any need to punish people for their past crimes. Punishment's only purpose should be to discourage other offences, after all. That's similar to one of Jesus' teachings too, actually: 'If a man strikes you, turn the other cheek,' or something to that effect.

On the other hand, if there was a benevolent but not omnipotent god then I'd be fine with following him. Especially if he Needed Prayer Badly.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:22 am »

This post deleted, due to me realising it could have been seen as an attempt at conversion.

I think it's best for everyone if we keep that stuff off this thread, which is going well for some unknown reason.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:09:55 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:55 am »

Hmm I am not quite sure what actions I am supposed to be taking at this moment. Though I guess I am supposed to announce it anyhow.

Roman Catholic

Though that doesn't quite mean anything from the point of view that your trying to extract information from. Since we are rather sane over here so if your trying to think of examples of insanity we really don't do that here.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:00 am »

I was raised a Roman Catholic, baptized on Easter. Went to Church every Sunday, did their whole Bible study program from start to finish. I had my first communion at 10 or 11 or something, and at 14, I think, I went on retreat for the church youth out at some resort in the woods fifty miles away or so, to prepare for Confirmation, which I feel was quite a transformative event. While I don't think I ever really believed in God (I am far too pragmatic), I never really bothered to think much about it until I saw what happened at that retreat.

They had us write down little things about ourselves on little clay pots first thing in the morning, and place them in brown paper bags. Then later on, we were called into the small auditorium, where they had the bags on a table, and one of the camp leaders proceeded to give us a lecture, half the time screaming, and I am being completely honest about the volume, about how we were all immoral, sniveling sinners who wouldn't give a second thought about murdering people in the streets. Again, I am not exaggerating. While she ranted on like this, she would pick up random bags and smash their contents on the floor to drive her points home with a crash. Many of the kids, even the girls were crying their little eyes out.

After everyone was sufficiently emotionally crushed, they sent them to line up to confess before the local priest. I politely declined.

I think everyone here probably knows where I stand right now.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2009, 02:15:19 am »

They had us write down little things about ourselves on little clay pots first thing in the morning, and place them in brown paper bags. Then later on, we were called into the small auditorium, where they had the bags on a table, and one of the camp leaders proceeded to give us a lecture, half the time screaming, and I am being completely honest about the volume, about how we were all immoral, sniveling sinners who wouldn't give a second thought about murdering people in the streets. Again, I am not exaggerating. While she ranted on like this, she would pick up random bags and smash their contents on the floor to drive her points home with a crash. Many of the kids, even the girls were crying their little eyes out.

I - wow.

My religion. Systematically ostracizing people through repeated application of assholes since someone interpreted Christs 'peace and love!' message into 'KILL ALL NON-CHRISTIANS BECAUSE YEAH!'

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2009, 02:26:57 am »

Are... are you sure you were Roman Catholic? That doesn't sound right at all... :(

It makes me unhappy that there are priests out there who pull shit like that. It's like they have no idea what they're supposed to do.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2009, 02:29:16 am »

Actually, I've heard rumours that Roman Catholics are more... nazi than the other christian religions.

But don't argue with me. It's rumours, and I don't want to taint the thread with religious zeal and hate.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2009, 02:34:20 am »

No, I think it's just regional. We in the Philippines are veeeery mellow Catholics.

Tack, those aren't rumours. They're substantial facts from our Church's past, a lot of which are true and for which I am heartily ashamed. Except the Spanish Inquisition. Nobody could have expected that.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2009, 02:38:26 am »

It was a sign of the times, one might not have been able to anticipate it specifically, but it was clear to those who know enough of the period that something like that was pretty much inevitable.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2009, 02:39:24 am »

La Purga is a dark stain on this churches history. I'm not surprised this ghost has returned to haunt us in pretty good books and pretty good if nonsensical movies.

Our church has much to answer for.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:14 am »

It was a sign of the times, one might not have been able to anticipate it specifically, but it was clear to those who know enough of the period that something like that was pretty much inevitable.

Dammit, people, stop taking me seriously! :D

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:53 am »

But I don't like obvious jokes!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20