Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complete Noob Question -- Masonry is the problem now...  (Read 591 times)

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Complete Noob Question -- Masonry is the problem now...
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:03:15 am »

Okay guys, I'm LesBrisant the complete and utter noob :D But everyones got to start somewhere so I'm just going to ask here since I've tried fiddling in game and the tutorials I've been reading aren't helping me.

Basically, why're my farmers being stupid and deciding that piling wood and food is more important than planting seeds which I've tried repetitively to tell them is the maximum priority. I've told them to plant plump helmets, they have the seeds, they have the plots and occasionally they'll actually do it but EVERY other order is more important than planting the seeds to them for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:48:41 am by LesBrisant »

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Noob Question -- Farming Priority
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:13:27 am »

If all else fails, turn off hauling for your Planters.

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:31:59 am »

Thanks Machina, I did that just now.

Unfortunately I've now run out of plump helmet spawns anyway. Dunno how.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:51:22 am »

If you are cooking food, turn off plump helmets for cooking, since that destroys the seed that you would otherwise get from eating it raw or brewing, this can be done in the z-kitchen menu.

Besides that, if you really need a harvest to be brought in, you can go to the (o)rders screen to set it so everyone can harvest, children and nobles will help gather the crops.

Edit: And welcome to the forum :)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:08:50 pm »

If you are cooking food, turn off plump helmets for cooking, since that destroys the seed that you would otherwise get from eating it raw or brewing, this can be done in the z-kitchen menu.

Besides that, if you really need a harvest to be brought in, you can go to the (o)rders screen to set it so everyone can harvest, children and nobles will help gather the crops.

Edit: And welcome to the forum :)

The downside to doing that, though, is that occasionally one of your miners will decide to take a break from digging and head 15 z level up to the farm to harvest a single pump helmet, then go back down, dig out one square, and come back up to harvest some rope reed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »

The order is: Go down, dig in a circle, go up, go down, dig a single tile, go up...
I've had it happen.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LesBrisant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:47:14 am »

Hmm I've seen it too, my farmers are especially good at not planting anything, leaving seeds in the middle of the farm plot and then insisting that they don't exist.

*EDIT + FACEPALM*  Evidently Masonry and Stonecrafting a two very different things.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:51:32 am by LesBrisant »

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Noob Question -- Masonry is the problem now...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:08:08 am »

Hey its the same basic problem with hauling,  Take for example the trader.  Caravan come s you figure you can just send all the items to the depot while he's doin his meeting right? Wrong he'll take the items to the depot,  then if he has ANY OTHER JOB he'll do that THEN the meeting if your lucky.

Baiscally turn off non-improtant jobs for everyone.  Turn off hauling on everyone but pesants. Takes longer but you get other things done quicker.