Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 89442 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1290 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:31 am »

Not really anything else to do between encounters.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 23, 2010, 03:39:52 am »

Well, what are the alternatives...
If we need to do it in a continuous run then being on a ship would be awkward, and Calladskarina might go stir crazy(only 2d6 sneak attack, you need, like, 7 rogue levels for 4d sneak, and I already have 2 prestige classes at level 8...) so alternative 1 is, continue adventuring while we are at sea.

Item crafting, Nernas could make armfuls of identify scrolls or something...

Learn to swim, Being tied to the back of the boat and left to float would have to be worth a few xp...

Of course, the biggest obstacle is the simple fact that it is new rules, I expect that I could figure it out easily enough, though I am unfamiliar with those rules myself, but I generally try to make flanks possible, and while combat is generally over before I get a chance to manoeuvre too much I have reason to suspect that this is not the most positionally minded party ever to grace D&D with its presence, so don't be surprised if it is basically a wasted effort.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 23, 2010, 05:03:20 am »

I'll do the treshure tomorrow, for now, i shall do the books and stuff.

The books appear to be a series of diaries stretching back nearly five centuries. They are records and statistics, specifically related to the raising and training of Sahran War Beasts. Most of it is very dry and boring.

The interesting bits are the newest book, which has a number of notes from it's most recent writer on his recent breakthroughs. He writes about how he has managed to breed a larger, stronger, faster Ashworm that can be trained to bear a rider into combat, he also writes about his attempts to do the same with Landsharks, but although he found breeding larger, more ferocious Landsharks rather easy, getting them docile enough to accept a rider is proving difficult.

The most interesting pages of all however are very recent indeed, only a few weeks old at most. They talk about the discovery and subsequent capture of an adult Sand Dragon, who was lured into the old training arena with food and then trapped in there along with copious amounts of sand. It further goes on to excitedly note that the Dragon was a pregnant female looking for a place to lay her eggs, and not three days after being imprisoned she had done so in the arena. The writer then goes on to describe in rather lurid detail several attempts to steal the eggs, culminating in two successful attempts and nine stolen eggs (after several dozen unsuccessful and abruptly cut short attempts). The writer makes numerous wistful remarks about wishing more of the eggs could be recovered, but has great plans in store for the eggs when they hatch.

One of the books turns out to be all about the raising and handling of Dragons from eggs all the way to the Adult stage. Nernas has to work for two days to translate it, but he now has the knowledge and the capability to raise the Dragon Eggs you found before.

Several of the Scrolls appear to be the personal diary of some Sahran, presumably the same one writing the books, they're all fairly boring and uninspiring. The unfinished scroll speaks of a nasty sounding character by the name of 'Zharakan'. The lettering seems to get rather furtive, almost as if the writer were doing so extremely cautiously. It seems this 'Zharakan' has committed some sort of henious crime and fled the major Sahran communities, but the writer fears he will exact some kind of unspecified revenge. Several veiled references to the 'walking dead' are made.

The rest of the scrolls are self-contained information sheets about the common and some of the more uncommon inhabitants of the Dehydrated Ocean. Nernas studies them for a few days and gets himself a +5 circumstance bonus on any Knowledge checks made to identify natives of the Ocean and surrounding areas.

One of the scrolls is also a rather poor quality map, giving iffy directions to various Sahran communities scattered around the eastern side of the Ocean. There is also what appears to be a Volcano in the middle of a chain of islands, or rocks or something, which is marked with a skull symbol.

If the map is mostly correct, the Volcano and it's island chain should be about four weeks travel west of the Sahran towers.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 23, 2010, 07:53:55 am »

Anyone interested in having our characters spend 2 weeks practicing teamwork, in order to learn Improved Flanking? RAM or I could be the leader (since we have 4d6 sneak attack dice; or, at least, I know I do, I don't know if Cal does after those fighter levels), and the rest of you have at least +3 BAB. The benefit would be that any flank we cause would make it a flank for EVERYONE PRESENT... Nernas could flank people from long range with Scorching Ray, we can make 3-point flanks, etc. etc. Just look at all those +2s for accuracy!

Good idea, since we go past time quickly on the ship this should be no problem.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 23, 2010, 08:31:05 am »

Neruz, just so I can keep track, what were the HDs of Gerald and Barry?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 23, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

@ RAM:

The only things you need to gain a teamwork benefit are:
-a leader for the benefit who meets the leader requirement
-everyone else participating in the team effort must meet the secondary skill prerequisites
-the team must spend two weeks practicing

So, since I happen to have 4d6 sneak attack dice (thank you, Daring Outlaw), I can be the leader... and since I'm fairly sure we all have +3 BAB, all of us can participate in the team effort. Plus, with Callad and Eosri having massive tumble checks, we can usually go almost anyplace we want to set up flanks.

Also, there's no restrictions on who can be part of the team, so we can get cohorts/familiars/etc in on this too. And it doesn't say 'how many hours per day' we have to spend practicing our teamwork stuff, it just says two weeks, so I'm going to assume it means 'a few hours a day, every day for 14 days', which will leave Nernas enough time to make scrolls if he wishes, and I can probably read that book on the local monstahs.

EDIT: name check
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:59:58 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 23, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »

What did I miss?

It seems as if shoruke made a tumbler named Eosri and we're actually trying tactics.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:10 pm »

Wait, doesn't making scrolls cost EXP?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »

What did I miss?

It seems as if shoruke made a tumbler named Eosri and we're actually trying tactics.

You missed:

A long corridor that, when you touched the door on the far side, flipped gravity 180 degrees.
The ceiling was 60 feet up. We found this out by sending in two of my skeletons to look for traps.
They're deader now.

I then teleported myself, Oedith, and Enson exactly 90 feet forwards. This happened to be above a 40 foot drop. At exactly the same time, someone cast dispel magic on the door. Not sure if this had worked, everybody else stayed on their side of the corridor.

Inside the hole we found ourselves in, we met a Giant Ashworm. Then we killed it in just over 1 round. It is now skeletal, my mount, and called Gerald.

Gerald went to meet our lazy friends on the other side of the corridor, which helpfully revealed that the trap was disabled. We then looted a small room, finding some books, a diary, and Gerald's saddlery.

More exploration revealed a second pit, the same size as the first. We then went north, deciding to ignore it for now. And we found a pit that was twice as deep, almost three times as wide, and half full of sand.

After a long time spent throwing skeletons and critter's from Oediths Bag'o'Tricks into it, and having seen then get eaten, I sent Dave in to be bait, and readied TENTACLES in-case something went for him. Something did.

I lost 800xp.

And didn't even get the damn thing.

After deciding 'Fuck this', we went back to the second pit, Calladskrina climbed down and had a look around. She met a Huge Landshark, and then fled for her little gnomish life. We had an EPIC BATTLE, with Enson, Shorkes character, and Gerald jumping on it from above, Eosri and Oedith trying to but failing. Callad rolled underneath it to give shourke a flank, and he got a massive hit with the scythe. I Enervated the mofo.

It is now skeletal and called Barry.

We then went back to the ship.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 23, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »

I read that ONLY to make sure that you made specific mention of that one attack I made. A vertical flank with critical sneak attack. Apparently I can out-DPS enson on occasion, even when my invisibility is useless.

Also, the teamwork thing: Player's Handbook II has some teamwork powers that we can learn by spending 2 weeks practicing together; I found an extended list on this page, and I think we should learn Superior Flank. Basically, since I have 4d6 sneak attack, and everyone has at least +3 BAB, if we spend two weeks practicing together, then when we flank someone, we're ALL flanking them. It'll be really useful for Nernas' scorching rays, as well as any other missile attacks we have.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:19:10 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 23, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »

in 1 day you should be able to make 8 scrolls of identify, I think that it would cost 1000 gp and 8 xp...

A scroll of magic missile at 9th caster level would cost 225 gp and 9 xp.

Scrolls of things like comprehend languages and jump, that you might not want to bother memorising but are useful to have on hand can be a very good idea. Just consider the trade of 1000 xp worth of scroll crafting to almost always have that obscure spell on hand and to not have to spend spell slots on it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 24, 2010, 09:39:54 am »

Unfortunately i'm going to have to call tomorrow's game off. I feel like absolute shite right now and unfortunately i know exactly why and there's nothing i can do about it.

My apologies.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »

Courtesy of TvTropes...

EDIT: somehow the TvTropes image database borked up, so I'm temporarily using google images >.>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:52:09 pm by shoruke »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 24, 2010, 12:51:14 pm »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 24, 2010, 01:46:46 pm »

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait until next week.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 177