Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 89435 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1215 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »

WHA?? What about Cthulhu's game? Did I miss something vital here? Head... spinning...
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »

Cfoofoo has a game on? I don't see anything in the 4e thread?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 16, 2010, 08:25:05 pm »

I thought we did one every Saturday. I don't know anything anymore.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »

Combat Expertise allows you to sacrifice potential to hit, to get AC instead. You take a disadvantage to gain an advantage.

By attacking an empty square with no enemy in range, you get the advantage (extra AC) but completely negate the disadvantage; because there's no-one to hit. This, to me, feels like cheating a bit, you're taking advantage of the letter of the rules, rather than the intent of the rules.
1.Combat expertise affects the entire round, not just the character's own turn. It is possible to make attacks in a round in which you never move into range of an enemy.

2.When taking -9 to ab, the intent is generally to hold a position rather than to inflict damage, attacking the opponent is as much of a technicality as attacking an empty square would be.

3.The cost, to me, is a standard action, I could use it to set up a flank, to close with an enemy, or to execute a full run and exit the combat. There are many offensive things that can be done with a standard action that are being sacrificed.

4.'Raise AC with a chance to damage an enemy' is a more powerful action that 'Raise AC'. It is difficult to see the less powerful action being a cheat. More specifically, it is still sacrificing the ability to damage things with an attack, just more so.

5.Combat is supposed to be an abstraction of a continuous process, just because you do not have a chance to attack someone doesn't mean that you are not fighting with them in that space of time.

For a couple of examples.

Spoiler: split enemies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: [url=http://reach (click to show/hide)

Taking this any further would be bad for the game, so I am not going to reply any further on this topic unless explicitly requested.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 17, 2010, 12:27:09 am »

If I had the adamantine body feat, would that make my gauntlets adamantine?
And if so, would that make me able to punch through stuff without hurting my hands too much?
Are the gauntlets part of your body?
That's basically what I'm asking. I chose them so it would seem as if I was just punching things that got in the way, only I'd be able to use bludgeoning and do lethal damage.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 17, 2010, 01:21:53 am »

The Gauntlets are equipment, not a part of your body. The Adamantine Body feat provides only armor and damage reduction, nothing else.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 17, 2010, 01:25:13 am »

The Gauntlets are equipment, not a part of your body. The Adamantine Body feat provides only armor and damage reduction, nothing else.
Don't his fists count as gauntlets? Or did he not try to get a version thats incorperated into the body to start with(ie warforged modifications)? Technecally his fists would be adamantine however if he slipped a pair of gauntlets over it then that block it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 17, 2010, 01:28:56 am »

Warforged naturally get Armor added to them, the armor occupies their armor\robe slot, they also get a 1d4 slam attack.

The Adamantine Body feat specifically references the Warforged Armor, so it only applies to that.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:50 am »

hey CJ, have you read the Book of Exalted Deeds yet? If I understand it correctly, you don't even need to take an additional feat to use celestial/ubergood cohorts, you just have to be exalted.

Which basically means you can't harass your teammates anymore and you have to try your darndest to take enemies prisoner and convert them, but other than that...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:28 am »

... Holy shit, I need to talk to Cfoofoo, I think Rhordrar's Exalted.

On the subject of the Book itself I have not. I have this crippling fear of the legality issues surrounding torrents, and I am astoundingly poor immediately after Christmas, so I don't have much money to go out and purchase it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:37 am »

Okey dokey.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 17, 2010, 11:16:52 am »

I appears I worked out my feats wrong when I made my char. Level 8 isn't a new feat level, but I'd given myself 3, instead of 4, when I made him, forgot the human bonus feat. Sorry, Will Do Better.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:27 pm »

I will most likely end up late to the session, I just found out we got invited to brunch with family. So go ahead and start without me and I'll get on when I can.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 17, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »

I can make it to the game, but I'm quite likely to be pulled away partway through so I can go to my university's "hey look we actually make stuff" expo with mah fambly.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 17, 2010, 03:02:16 pm »

Serving is Up.

Loading Coffee...
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 177