Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 89434 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1200 on: January 16, 2010, 03:58:33 am »

Bag of Rats ruling RAM; you don't get the beneficial effects of an attack if you do not attack a threat.

This is to prevent exactly what you just described, amongst other things.

'Adopting a Combative Posture' is Total Defense. That's what it's there for.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 16, 2010, 04:58:16 am »

Do you have a reference for Bag of rats? I am curious as to the implications of such a term...

I always kind of assumed that Total Defence was there to let people Use a full round action to get more AC than they could with a standard action. Currently I see no option for advancing cautiously...(unless you count 5 foot steps...)

I just... I just don't see why my ability to generate AC is lessened when I have no distractions.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 16, 2010, 05:04:53 am »

The Bag of Rats ruling is thusly named to prevent people getting a bag of rats and killing them for phat bonuses.

The example that it specifically references is a Fighter with Great Cleave iirc, he uses whirlwind attack on the bag, and gets hundreds of cleaves from killing the rats

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:45 am »

Ah, yes, I see, hundreds of attacks would be an issue, possibly a slightly different issue to accessing combat feats out of combat however. Which would be more akin to using spells like prayer(there are, no doubt, much more grievous examples), which is a combat spell, to enhance social interactions. (possibly openly praying for doom to befall your trading partners should not grant bonuses to winning their favour...)

*sighs* I will go see if I can dig anything up on the wizards boards, must have been years since I went there...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:01 am »

There are some stackable buffs that trigger when you kill stuff, the Bag of Rats ruling applies to them as well.

Basically, it's there to prevent that kind of cheese. And i fully agree; DnD is, first and foremost, a game, and a Bag of Rats ruling is vital for gameplay.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 16, 2010, 05:41:45 am »

My mistake, Total defence is a standard action, but the lack of AOOs still makes it more restrictive than fighting defensively, but it is possibly to advance cautiously.

It occurs to me that invisible opponents present occasions when a player may make a completely legitimate attack against an empty square, and, indeed, an opponent that has already fled combat. And indeed, someone could, given the right circumstances, legitimately become paranoid(Yes, I know its an oxymoron, I stand by my statement...) and make attacks against places that they think might harbour an opponent they are not yet aware of.

The rules specifically state that you can attack into squares, and that you are specifically not permitted to target the specific creature.
You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies.

So far the boards have only been useful for inspiration...

P.S.
 Found a good thread on the boards, going to try and find something that is't blatantly insulting in there...
 Hmmm, seems to refer to 4E, but I could be wrong, is the bag of rats rule also from 4E?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:06:05 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 16, 2010, 06:08:04 am »

Under those circumstances, we'll see.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 16, 2010, 07:22:47 am »

I reviewed the thread I found, it was firmly rooted in fourth edition so I can't be certain of its relevence...

I come to that conclusion because the feat relies on the player making an attack, not making a hit.  Next, on pg 272 of the PHB under the "Choosing Targets" section, it states that you can target a square instead of an enemy.
That doesn't look like my PHB, so I am guessing that this is a fourth edition thing. But this sounds like the sort of reference I would bring up.
Spoiler: some examples (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would argue that if I am bothering to call combat expertise then I have a valid target, it just isn't in melee range, visible, hostile or even definite yet.

Quote from: phb
"If you want to use a power against an enemy, the enemy must be within the range of your power, and you have to be able to target the enemy. Many powers allow you to target multiple enemies. Each of these enemies must be an eligible target.
When you use a melee attack or a ranged attack, you can target a square instead of an enemy. This
tactic is useful when an enemy has total concealment (page 281) and you have to guess its location."
Quote from: dmg
"When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a target—or reducing a target to 0 hit points—the power functions only when the target in question is a meaningful threat. Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."
I want to attack an empty square.
Combat expertise does not involve hitting anything or reducing any HP at all.
The above suggests that there are rules that specifically forbid this, and offer page references that I cannot currently confirm.
An example of what seemed to be the most common argument supporting me. The alternative viewpoint didn't seem as firmly developed, but I am biased...
Topic creator returned and made a summary, the first post queried if attacks against empty squares were legal, so may have shared my bias...

I do not believe that the 'Bag of rats' rule, as written, specifically applies.

The single most abusive uses of this that I can think of are to make an attack prior to closing with an enemy and provoking attacks of all kinds, and to raise AC against traps and ambushes. I don't think that these are particularly damaging to the game...

Finally, this seems to be a 4th edition rule in a 3rd edition game. I believe that the rule exists because it specifically is possible to do this in 3.0 and needed to be fixed. I don't believe using combat expertise without an opponent in range is something that needs to be fixed.

P.S.
 This is about my limit. I don't think it is an unreasonable advantage(there aren't any stats involved that I don't regularly achieve via uncontroversial means). And I don't see it causing any problems for the game or being out of character. If you still dislike it I will basically have to accept your ruling.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:29:14 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 16, 2010, 07:57:16 am »

If i remember correctly the Bag of Rats ruling was codified into the DMG in 4e, but existed as a WotC FAQ answer and sort of 'general piece of info' for years since it was discovered in 3e. WotC actually 'fixed' the initial Whirlwind Attack issue by making it impossible to do more than WWAttack in 1 turn.

It was one of those 'while technically legal, you have to be stupid to actually do it, and your DM has to be even stupider to let it fly' things.

Finally, this seems to be a 4th edition rule in a 3rd edition game. I believe that the rule exists because it specifically is possible to do this in 3.0 and needed to be fixed. I don't believe using combat expertise without an opponent in range is something that needs to be fixed.

Combat Expertise allows you to sacrifice potential to hit, to get AC instead. You take a disadvantage to gain an advantage.

By attacking an empty square with no enemy in range, you get the advantage (extra AC) but completely negate the disadvantage; because there's no-one to hit. This, to me, feels like cheating a bit, you're taking advantage of the letter of the rules, rather than the intent of the rules.

Basically, you're rules lawyering here. If you really want i can rules lawyer right back at you, but i would advise against it, as i'm better at it than you are.

For example; by default, a Melee Attack can strike at any opponent within 5 feet.

So unless you have a rule that specifically alters this, you can only make Melee Attacks against an opponent within 5 feet.

The link you provided from the SRD is under the Total Concealment menu, it also mentions attacking opponents with Total Concealment, and striking the square you think said opponent occupies. Ergo it only applies when Total Concealment is in effect, and only when you have an opponent who is totally concealed from you.

Fun fact: By a strict ruling of the RAW, you may only attack opponents, you can't actually attack objects. The exception is you may Sunder weapons or shields held by an opponent. The only time you may attack anything other than opponents or objects held by an opponent is when using a thrown splash weapon, in which case you may target a grid intersection. It gets a little murky as the exploration section mentions attacking objects being similar to sundering, but by strict RAW, you are never given the ability to attack objects, even though that is the clear intent of the rules.

I assure you, i've actually had this argument before, and it is absolutely not RAW legal to attack empty space for any reason other than you believe there to be a totally concealed creature there.

Fortunately, 3.5 lacks 4e's clarification on hidden and unaware, but there you go.

Now quit the munchkinning and rules lawyering. I don't like clamping down, but i will do so under such circumstances. If you absolutely must have your Combat Expertise AC bonus but can't reach an enemy, ready an action to attack the first enemy to come within weapon range, and apply expertise to that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:59:28 am by Neruz »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:25 pm »

You can't just wander around using Total Defense? It's just holding your arms up in front of your face, basically, right? Doesn't make sense to me that you need opponents (specifically life-threatening opponents) to look at to walk around, shield up, sword ready, and tensed for action...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »

If I had the adamantine body feat, would that make my gauntlets adamantine?

And if so, would that make me able to punch through stuff without hurting my hands too much?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 16, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

Hrrm, we better encounter something soon, so I can get 170 XP necessary for my next level up. heh.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »

If I had the adamantine body feat, would that make my gauntlets adamantine?

And if so, would that make me able to punch through stuff without hurting my hands too much?

Are the gauntlets part of your body?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 16, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »

Hey! What are you doing in here when the server isn't up?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 16, 2010, 08:13:25 pm »

Er, gaem is tomorrow?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 177