Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 89390 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1050 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:23 pm »

You mean the upgrading Undead rules?

Most of the stuff to do with Undead can be located in the Libris Mortis, there's scatterings of all kinds of other stuff as well, but as the designers of DnD felt that Undead were Evil and the players shouldn't be Evil the books are all written with DM's in mind, so they tend to get kind of complicated and lack details like how one actually does things like create a Heartless and soforth.

One of the variations i've seen in use was applying the Artificer Homonculus rules to Undead, with appropriate mods. The basics were a True Necro can imbue created Undead with his life force, sacrificing Gold and XP to upgrade Undead, granting them additional Hit Dice and special abilities as they were upgraded. This simplified the whole process and made it alot more accessible.

If you're interested in persuing a life as a Horderomancer, i'll go dig them out.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

That last line read to me like: 'Do you, or do you not, want a giant horde of undead?'

I say yes, dig em up.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 06, 2010, 11:19:46 pm »

Is it possible to dual-wield tower shields as a large character (minotaur)? Two handed medium weapons work as one handed weapons for large people, so it would make sense to be able to carry two shields and hit people with them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15:31 am »

Alrighty, the rules are pretty simple. After raising an undead, a Necromancer can sacrifice 2000 GP and 200 XP to add a hit-dice to said Undead (taking about 1 hour per hit dice added). For every 6 hit-dice added, the Undead increases in size by 1 category.

The following special thingies come with this system.

Feats

Advanced Undead Improvement
Prerequisite: Ability to create or control Undead
Benefit: Undead you upgrade gain natural armor and special abilities based on the hit-dice you have upgraded them with, as seen on the chart below. Each time an Undead gains a Hit Dice, you can choose to remove any one special ability and replace it with another.

Upgrade Table
Hit Dice
Natural Armor*
Total Special Abilities
1–2
+0
3–5
+2
6–8
+4
9–11
+6
12–14
+8
15–17
+10
18+
+12
*Incorpreal Undead cannot have Natural Armor, instead they increase their Deflection bonus.

Undead Abilities
Climber: The Undead gains a climb speed of 20 ft. If it already has a climb speed, it improves by 20 ft.
Durable: The Undead gains 10 hp
Flyer: The Undead gains a fly speed of 20 ft. (good). If it already has a fly speed, it improves by 20 ft. and maneuverability improves by one category.
Labour: The Undead becomes able to perform basic tasks and skills. The Undead gains 3 ranks in a skill of your choice (obeying the standard rules for skill ranks in relation to Hit Dice). This allows Mindless Undead to perform skill checks as if they were not Mindless and had an Intelligence score equal to their Hit Dice.
Sneak Attack: The Undead gains a sneak atatck for +1d6 damage. If it already has a sneak attack, it improves by 1d6 damage.
Runecarved: The Undead can be inscribed with one spell of up to 3rd level, which it can then activate at will as the appropriate action type. If this ability is chosen again, it increases the spell level by 1.
Swimmer: The Undead gains a swim speed of 20 ft. If it already has a swim speed, it improves by 20 ft.
Telepathic Bond: The Undead gains a telepathic bond with the caster with a radius equal to 1 mile/level of the caster. If this ability is chosen a second time, the radius becomes infinite. It cannot be chosen a third time.
Weapon Ability: Any natural weapons the Undead possess can gain a magic weapon special quality with a base price modifier of +1 bonus or less (such as Ghost Touch, Keen, Flaming etc). If this ability is chosen multiple times, add a different effect each time it is chosen.

Note: These special abilities are based on extra Hit Dice an Undead gains. If you create a 6 HD Skeleton and then upgrade it with 4 HD it will have +2 Natural Armor and 1 Special Ability.

Undead Reinforcement
Prerequisite: Ability to create or control Undead, Advanced Undead Improvement
Benefit: You may also upgrade an Undead's stats, adding 1 point to a chosen stat for 1000 GP and 100 XP. The number of stat upgrades can never exceed the number of Hit Dice upgrades (so an Undead that has recieved 4 upgraded Hit Dice can have 4 stat upgrades. Each one being 1 point to a chosen stat.)

Feed with Souls
Prerequisite: Ability to create or control Undead
Benefit: You may drain the life energy out of dying creatures and use their energy to empower your own Undead. When you choose this feat you gain a reservoir of Soul Points, you may use Soul Points in the place of Experience Points when upgrading or improving Undead. To gain Soul Points, you must touch a dying creature for a full round, after which it dies and you absorb it's life energy, gaining 10 Soul Points for every Hit Dice the creature had. This ability does not work on creatures that are not alive or have no constitution score (such as Constructs and Undead).

Siphon Unlife
Prerequisite: Ability to create or control Undead, Feed with Souls
Benefit: You may siphon lost experience out of fallen Undead. Whenever an upgraded or improved Undead falls, you may siphon off a number of Soul Points equal to the amount of Experience imbued into the Undead. (So if you siphoned off an Undead that had recieved 4 Hit Dice and 2 Stat boosts, you would gain (4 x 200) + (2 x 100) Soul Points, for a total of 1000 Soul Points).

Magic Item Enhancements

Necrotic (+2 Bonus)
The magic weapon is imbued with sickly unliving energies that draw forth the very life essence of wounded creatures. Any living creature struck by a Necrotic weapon suffers an additional 1d6 points of Necrotic damage on a successful hit. Additionally, if the wielder has the Feed with Souls feat he gains 1 Soul Point for every point of damage inflicted by the weapon after resistances and immunities are resolved.

Moderate necromancy; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor and any Inflict spell.

Soul Displacement Helm
The wearer of this Helm can displace a fragment of his soul into any Essence Gem it is attuned to. Attuning Soul Displacement Helm to an Essence Gem takes 8 hours, and no Gem can have more than 1 Helm attuned to it at any one time. Displacing a soul fragment is a standard action that does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity. The wearer of the Helm takes 2 points of Constitution damage when the fragment is displaced, and this damage can only be restored by returning the fragment to the wearer as a standard action.

Moderate necromancy; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, any spell involving soul storing (such as magic jar); Price 5,000 gp; Weight 3 lb.

Essence Gem
Essence Gems are attuned to a Soul Displacement Helm and then embedded into a mindless, soulless object. This includes Constructs and Soulless Undead. When the wearer of the attuned Helm displaces a fragment of his soul into an Essence Gem bound into an object, the object becomes animate (if it previously was not) and the wearer of the Helm may control the object or creature as if it were his own body. Each controlled body has only a single Move Action, but the Helm's wearer may transfer any of his Actions to a controlled body.

Faint necromancy; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, any spell that involves telepathy (such as Telepathic Bond); Price 1,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:22:49 am by Neruz »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:09 am »

Is it possible to dual-wield tower shields as a large character (minotaur)? Two handed medium weapons work as one handed weapons for large people, so it would make sense to be able to carry two shields and hit people with them.

you could dual wield shields, but the shield bonus wouldn't stack, so there's no point.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:27 am »

Those are pretty impressive special rules. And the vanilla Dread Necro is pretty decent already.
I'll roll him up immediatley, one question though, one that's relevant to the campaign.

What would happen if I tried to use Feed with Souls on a -hitpoint giantkin?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:18 am »

Well i actually did the giantkin HP wrong last time; their Regeneration should convert all damage into non-lethal damage.

So if you use it on a negative HP giantkin, then that giantkin is dying and thus it will work. But if you try and drain the life-froce of a giantkin that has more non-lethal damage than his current HP, nothing will happen, as the giantkin is not dying. This applies to anything with Regeneration.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 07, 2010, 01:03:12 am »

you could dual wield shields, but the shield bonus wouldn't stack, so there's no point.
Really? That's odd. I was hoping to become a super-tank minotaur and just overrun people and hold them down until they surrender.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:41 am »

Oh wow, Dread Necros are quite good.

Whenever I get a new spell level, I instantly learn all Dread Necro spells in that level. I don't need to prepare ahead of time. And there are a lot of nasty spells in there

I also get a spell from either the necromancy cleric domain or the necromancy wizard school.

Scribd has failed me though, I can't find the PH or the Fiends Folio.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:22 am »

Really? That's odd. I was hoping to become a super-tank minotaur and just overrun people and hold them down until they surrender.  ::)

Bonuses of the same type never stack.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:49 am »

Here he is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No all I need to know is the amount of Gp I have to blow on equipment.

My stuff.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:18:48 am by Akigagak »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:20 am »

Based on the power level of everyone else, make it 50,000.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:53 am »

*Skips girlishly to the shops*

Crapload of Onyx, here I come.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 07, 2010, 05:15:49 am »

Oh lawful evil eh? That ought to be fun.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:18 am »

Just make sure you keep your dark magicks away from Edanol  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 177