Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88542 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Next FRYDAY\SATDEI 20:00 GMT+0)
« Reply #420 on: November 17, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

So I really am enjoying the campaign, but I feel the question is begging to be asked: Will we ever see any semblance to mundane civilization?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:24 pm »

Hmm this is odd, I'm looking at an example from the arms and equipment
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that, ignoring the extra attack bit which is from the item its talking about, shows that using ambidexterity and two weapon fighting the penalty for both main and off hand is -2. This is odd indeed.
edit: Ah I think I might have a solution to this, I found a homebrew version of ambidexterity that makes sense
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:45:52 pm by userpay »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 17, 2009, 08:35:26 pm »

In DnD 3 Duel wielding incurred a -6 bonus to attacks and added an extra attack at -10.

The two weapon fighting feat reduced these penalties by two.
The Ambidexterity feat reduced the penalty to the extra attack(s) by 4.
Wielding a light or smaller weapon in your off-hand reduced the penalties by 2.
Combined it was possible to gain extra attacks by incurring a -2 penalty to hit on all attacks, which is fairly standard.

In DnD 3.5 the Two-weapon fighting feat:
Spoiler: From the SRD (click to show/hide)
The penalty for your primary hand lessens by 2 and the one for your off hand lessens by 6
:Combines the old TWF and Ambidexterity feats.

I am not even sure that the SRD is an acceptable source for this game, I mean, it is pretty much identical and makes a great reference, but is there such a thing as mage's disjunction in this world?

Homebrew is a bit questionable, but I expect that if Neruz is happy with it then you can have it, but I would ask first for each feat...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:37 pm »

Well I posted the homebrew so that it could be looked at, assuming that with ambidexterity the light off hand weapon would get a +2 bonus that I agree is rather odd and the homebrew I posted basiclly decreases the penatly for both hands by -1 there by making the total penalty to both hands -1 and allows me to apply the stat bonus to the off hand as well makes sense since it'll be ambidexterious.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:02 pm »

Well, I'm just deciding I'll never say what days I can and can't do it anymore. My schedule is more chaotic than a bag full of badgers. Bleh.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »

So I really am enjoying the campaign, but I feel the question is begging to be asked: Will we ever see any semblance to mundane civilization?

The possibility exists. You won't find any 'mundane' civs in the ruins of an ancient Wizard City (Wizards powerful enough to challenge a God, and put up a damn good fight too i might add), but the City isn't the whole campaign, and there are less magicey civs out there if you ever manage to finish the first act.

I am not even sure that the SRD is an acceptable source for this game, I mean, it is pretty much identical and makes a great reference, but is there such a thing as mage's disjunction in this world?

Probably; i'm sure a Mage somewhere worked out a spell that dismantles other spells and magical effects.

As for the Ambidexterity feat, i'm not too swell on the idea as it's not actually adding anything to the game; it's just making two-weapon fighting flat out more powerful. I enjoy homebrew and new ideas (hell, this entire game is composed of me making shit up almost as fast as you guys find it), but i prefer new things to add new things, so to speak, rather than just pointing at an aspect of the game that already exists and saying "That's stronger now." Which is kind of what that feat does.

If you're looking for more fightey style feats, i highly reccomend the Tome of Battle, which does a surprisingly effective job of making the martial classes almost on par with the magical ones.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 18, 2009, 12:00:44 am »

And just about all the feats in that book are specifically for the classes in there but now I'm tempted to make a swordmage. Since I wouldn't be playing till saturday anyway I've got time to work on this.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:21 am »

Complete Warrior and Sword and Fist are some other good ones; Sword and Fist for example containing the incredibly amusing Monkey Grip feat.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 18, 2009, 12:31:06 am »

Complete Warrior and Sword and Fist are some other good ones; Sword and Fist for example containing the incredibly amusing Monkey Grip feat.
Ah good point, monkey grip could indeed be a fun one to go with. I can also combine that with tome of battle classes as well.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:26 am »

I really want to find a way out of this damn tower-world, and find a city.
With people.
Living people.
And a reasonable-level wizard in residence who will let me copy stuff out of his book.
And maybe a church, just in case.
AND SHOPS! I need more alchemist fire, I only bought one vial!

But first... I must get back to the adventuring HQ. Everyone help me make a cipher for navigating this goddamn tower.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 18, 2009, 12:33:22 pm »

I really want to find a way out of this damn tower-world, and find a city.
With people.
Living people.
And a reasonable-level wizard in residence who will let me copy stuff out of his book.
And maybe a church, just in case.
AND SHOPS! I need more alchemist fire, I only bought one vial!

But first... I must get back to the adventuring HQ. Everyone help me make a cipher for navigating this goddamn tower.

Only one bottle, Hah! College rookies..
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:24 pm »

Ah ha! Found what I was looking for, oversized two weapon fighting. And now I do believe my app is complete, heres to seeing ye on Saturday hopefully.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 20, 2009, 07:39:39 am »

7-hour reminder or something.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:22 am »

Someone's ancy. I might be able to get on in about three and a half hours, today! 8D
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:08 am »

And the best part is, I won't be there for the first... 4 hours!

Yeah, my mother forgot to mention to me that I'm going back to guitar practice starting today (Considering I'm the one going, you'd think that would be something I should know)

And on top of that, I have to go out to eat. So yeah, I should be on after I serve the jail sentence for matricide.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 177