Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88480 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2370 on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:40 am »

Maybe if it started on schedule instead of an hour late, things might be better..

I set the game to 'start' that early specifically to give an hour for everyone to get in and finish bumming around. My personal experience with games (and indeed getting people to meet at a certain time and place in general) is that they will arrive at any time up to an hour before the designated time to an hour afterward (and often much later than that, depending on the thing in question), hence why i always set a start time an hour earlier than i actually intend to start, so that there's plenty of time for everyone to end up in one place.

If you like, i can push the game forward an hour, but the game will never actually start (as in playing DnD) at the allotted time if only because i'm not coherant that early in the morning and need an hour to wake up properly.

Also; what the hell is with this sudden Elf attitude of befriending all things great and small? I thought i had you guys worked out as the most psychopathic kleptomaniacal heroes on the planet, and now all of a sudden you're dancing around in fields of daisies and throwing lollies at passing frogmen.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 17, 2010, 08:52:52 am »

So what did I miss? We fighting frog rednecks or something?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: April 17, 2010, 08:54:12 am »

They ran away from a Giant Enemy Crab and everyone levelled up.

This whole 4e thing is turning out to be more work for me, rather than less, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the idea.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 17, 2010, 09:06:21 am »

Hmm, yeah, that sounds like it sucks. We really could have used all the food that crab would provide.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 17, 2010, 11:30:55 am »

Maybe you missed the memo when I put your name on it CJ, but we didn't exactly have a lot of ways of hurting that thing. If that crab had been stuck in a pit and I could have just stood on the edge and spammed at-wills at it, it would have died eventually. I think the rest of you use purely physical attacks though, so it's pretty much immune to you guys. And good luck beating it in melee; it wins by sitting on you and drowning you in the swamp lake really wide pond.

Also, I almost feel bad for saying it, but I'd say it's a good thing Ranga has track on D&D days now, because him getting all of the frogs upset at us while I wasn't there is kinda making the game less fun for me. It's like, I show up for the game again, and every situation we get into, it's like

"Okay what are our options?"
-kill everything? No, that's mean.
-negotiate? No, they hate us, and they barely talk anyway...
-make a peace offering? What would we offer?
-Offer Ranga (or his body)? No, they'd take it wrong, AND they already hate us anyway.
-sneak around? Apparently rogues get 1-shotted by virtue of being engaged in combat, even when there are more prominent and dangerous allies right next to him, so we've got no sneaky people.
-go do something else? Like WHAT? We have one and only one hint as to where anything at all is, it basically comes down to being a very slow railroading tutorial that promises to open up later.

(and CJ, if you turn out to be the next Chaotic Stupid Rangarok, we're going to have the same discussion about what to do with you: "should we just tie him up and leave him, or should we stab him to make SURE he dies?")
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:25 pm »

Ok yeah, if shoruke doesn't want to run around plundering and looting, then the West Marches campaign isn't going to work and i'd be better off running you through Scales of War.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:02 pm »

Hey, coincidentally, I'm running a SoW PbP campagin on the OoTs forums.

Pretty nice little thing, and while things start cliched (In a Tavern.), they have a pretty epic fight for the second encounter.

There's explosions and burning villagers, that aren't caused by the players.

Yah, CS Barbarian put a crimp in my fun. Seems like I'd have been useful against the crab, though, since my shield helps me not drown.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 18, 2010, 03:37:00 am »

Another option would be to drop back to 3.5 and run through War of the Burning Sky; a great module i've sadly never actually played through, which is sad, because it is very well written.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 18, 2010, 05:30:34 am »

I think we could give the open world a try, we just aren't used to it, I think I really managed a few brief spurts of tyranny back there and caused a couple of things to happen...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 18, 2010, 05:44:30 am »

Well something needs to happen; because at the moment it isn't.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:24 am »

I guess we could try that. I'm fine with 3.5...

*holds Nernas sheet tightly* :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:42:19 am by Jervous »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 18, 2010, 10:57:25 am »

I'm fine switching back to 3.5 or staying with 4. That said I've found some interesting things for 3.5 that I'd love to test out.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 18, 2010, 11:11:08 am »

That reminds me. There's a fancy mordenkrad, some balls, and some armor of durability +1 open for whoever wants them.

Next time I play, I'm likely going for some form of ranger. One with morals.

Ok yeah, if shoruke doesn't want to run around plundering and looting, then the West Marches campaign isn't going to work and i'd be better off running you through Scales of War.
Yeah, I figured before that a story-based open world wouldn't work too well. It's too hard to even have a story, as the clues are scattered across the world in places the PCs may never think to look. Open World campaigns work best when you're hacking and slashing through them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 18, 2010, 11:16:05 am »

It's strange...I love sandbox and free roaming games but in DnD, not so much..

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 18, 2010, 12:38:53 pm »

Yeah, I figured before that a story-based open world wouldn't work too well. It's too hard to even have a story, as the clues are scattered across the world in places the PCs may never think to look. Open World campaigns work best when you're hacking and slashing through them.

They can have a story if people pay attention to the clues. The whole reason we were even in the swamp was because we were following a clue from book Ram read in the tower. We weren't on a murderdeathkill spree.

I'm fine switching back to 3.5 or staying with 4. That said I've found some interesting things for 3.5 that I'd love to test out.
It's horribly cheesy, isn't it?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 177