Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88561 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2145 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:02 pm »

The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »

Did ya take a look at those skill tricks, Neruz?

I'll let you have Ledge Scramble if you swap it to being a Minor action.

Goomba Springboard is just silly, but if you really want it you'll need to put an opposed check in there somewhere; if you're doing something to an enemy you must always have an opposed check of some sort, no static DC's for doing stuff to enemies.

Flip Toss, remove the DC 25 balance check to keep moving; if you fail the trip check you stop and need to make a DC 20 balance check to avoid falling prone.

Braced Launch is fine if you only get the move speed bonus if your movement away from the wall is in a relatively straight line.

There was still one thing not considered, but certain to happen in a world with low magic.
Technology.
Because it's easier than magic, and any high technology is about the same as magic so I propose:

Considering there's only been 100 years since the Gods died and Artificer-based-technology ran on magic as much as it did on mechanisms, technology hasn't really had a chance to evolve much. In fact due to the lack of magic it's devolved.

CJ: if you want to play a Paladin, i'd actually reccomend going with Fighter to begin with and then picking up one of the Knight paragon classes.

The other Alternative would be for me to take the Paladin and alter it myself.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 25, 2010, 08:33:42 pm »

For Goomba Springboard, would it be possible to oppose the tumble check with a reflex save?
Trickster: d20 + dex + ranks
Target: d20 + dex + Base Reflex Save (+10 if trickster moves full speed)

The target uses whichever is higher of their reflex save or the base tumble check. The penalty for failure is the standard for failing a tumble-past action: you stop moving and provoke an AoO.

Also, these skill tricks have the secondary purpose of being thematic: Goomba Springboard, for instance, isn't going to have a whole helluva lot of uses except for jumping off someone's head and laughing at them (or bypassing mobs). Which of course is exactly the kind of thing Loenae would love to be able to do by level 9... plus it presents interesting opportunities for raising the stakes.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:42:59 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »

You can make an attack against the monster's reflex defense if you like.

I'm thinking you should probably provoke an AoO if you fail the jump attempt though, or something, since generally with skill stuff when messing with enemies there's a penalty for failure.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 25, 2010, 10:19:27 pm »

How do you fail a jump check, get 0 or worse?

I suppose I can add that if you fail to jump at all, you fall prone... and then the guy is likely to stab you through the spine.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 25, 2010, 10:30:18 pm »

What i mean is if you miss him when trying to jump on his head; in this case it would be if you miss his reflex defense.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:53 pm »

Hmm looks like we got a pretty good mix of characters, I suppose I'll go along with a dwarven fighter. And Neruz, in your sample thing of swordnshield, twohanded weapon, and TWF you forgot about the line of feats based around attacking with ones shield. Granted its down the line.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 25, 2010, 11:13:08 pm »

What i mean is if you miss him when trying to jump on his head; in this case it would be if you miss his reflex defense.

The target uses whichever is higher of their reflex save, or the base tumble DC. The penalty for failure is the standard for failing a tumble-past action: you stop moving and provoke an AoO.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 25, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

The target uses whichever is higher of their reflex save, or the base tumble DC. The penalty for failure is the standard for failing a tumble-past action: you stop moving and provoke an AoO.

You can't attack Reflex with Skill Checks, as Skill Checks scale up much faster than Reflex Defense does (Defenses hardly scale at all in fact)

Hmm looks like we got a pretty good mix of characters, I suppose I'll go along with a dwarven fighter. And Neruz, in your sample thing of swordnshield, twohanded weapon, and TWF you forgot about the line of feats based around attacking with ones shield. Granted its down the line.

Feats are extra stuff, i'm only concerned with balance at the base level; if feats turn out to be overpowered later on i can change the feats, but it's all a waste of time if the base level itself is broken.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:04 pm »

Also somone better post the world you all decided on by tonight, otherwise i'll have to make the world mahself.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57:48 pm »

Okay my new sheet is here and yes I named him Enson because I was lazy. Anyway I may or may not have a backstory up tomarrrow, what page was the general background of the world on again?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:57 am »

I don't have any problem with Neruz making a world to be honest. However, that's mainly due to not being at the first session, where this will be decided.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 26, 2010, 12:16:50 am »

We've already got lots of good backstory.

Quote from: Neruz
Spoiler: World's backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Settlement's Backstory (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm not going to be able to make it at all tomorrow... I have a band performance, and I'll be lucky to get 5 minutes of free time to check up with you guys between physics and band. Blar. Unless the game goes for... uh, more than 9 hours?

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 26, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

Whoo, Shoruke and I shall be non attending buddies! I got D-con, for key club. Funness. Oh well.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:39 am »

So long as everyone is happy to go with Shoruke's backstory, that's what we'll go with.

Looks like it's time for THE GRAND FOREST ADVENTURE!
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 177