Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88454 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2385 on: April 18, 2010, 01:49:54 pm »

Yeah, I figured before that a story-based open world wouldn't work too well. It's too hard to even have a story, as the clues are scattered across the world in places the PCs may never think to look. Open World campaigns work best when you're hacking and slashing through them.

They can have a story if people pay attention to the clues. The whole reason we were even in the swamp was because we were following a clue from book Ram read in the tower. We weren't on a murderdeathkill spree.

I'm fine switching back to 3.5 or staying with 4. That said I've found some interesting things for 3.5 that I'd love to test out.
It's horribly cheesy, isn't it?
First off I think anywhere we go with the barb it would have ended up as a murderspree.

Second I've been getting into Magic of Incarnum a bit and also found an unrelated homebrew PrC thats interesting. Many of the currently recruiting play by post forum games don't really interest me or are restricted to core stuff.

edit: *Peeks around.* Game?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:20:59 pm by userpay »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: April 18, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »

Looks like we are starting a new campaign again.
How do we want to start?
To get things started I will suggest that a trading caravan needed guards, couldn't get any, and decided to hire us cheaply, in the hopes that bandits can't tell how lame we are from a distance. Every one starts out with copious amounts of masterwork gear and mundane items that look magical, but is being loaned to make us look more impressive, and must be returned...

Interesting variant rules...

Massive damage:
 normal: 50 damage in one hit = DC 15 fort save versus death
 alternative: con score x 3 + hit dice x 3 damage from non-touch attack = DC 10+1 per 5 damage versus HP reduced to 1 followed by 1d10 damage.

Dying:
 DC 15 fort save to stabilise
 if stable, may crawl, but required DC 15 fort or become dying again.
 if Stable, may attempt DC 20 fort save to recover 1 HP, fail by 10 to start dying again.

Traits:
 See SRD, take up to 2 traits

Flaws:
 See SRD, take up to 2 flaws to earn 1 feat each.

Bloodlines:
 See SRD, you must periodically expend a level but gain some abilities, probably overpowered...

Action points:
 See SRD, different from 4e action points.

Races:
 MAXIMUM ECL 3 if just taking a race, maximum ECL 2 if taking a template. Spend XP to pay off LA(see SRD).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:33:41 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »

Er RAM I think when we agreed to ECL 3 in the end it was ECL 3 period, flaws and traits I'm fine with, bloodlines would probably be best if we didn't do the ECL 3 or maybe the option is up to ECL 3 or bloodlines or none at all, otherwise... not sure yet.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

ECL is Racial HD + Level Adjustment + Template (HD+LA).

So: Human (HD1) + LA (0 for humans) + Half Vampire template (+2 LA) = ECL 3
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: April 18, 2010, 11:45:05 pm »

Oh snap there was a game today. Oops.

Someone tell me what happened. Something about a new game style?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:47 am »

The west marshes are no more, swallowed up into the void behind a new campaign, probably...

I predict an 85%+ chance of starting a new campaign, using the 3.5 rules, teleportation however will probably be difficult, which will hopefully stop much of the PCs ability to ignore the plot. Given our inability to ignore the plot prior to teleportation I am sure that this is an excellent plan. Of course, that campaign did commence immediately after a transplanar and/or temporal teleportation event...

The following seems to have been voted on during the session.

3.5 rules, 30 point buy, ECL3.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 19, 2010, 09:26:14 am »

Neruz also wants us to figure out what sort of campain we want, ie the module he has or something else. I'm also curious as to what class everyone else is gonna take, the two classes I'm swinging between one is a jack of all trades sorta and does it well and the other is melee combat oriented.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:11 am »

I really want to give Ixitxachitl Egoist a shot. On that topic, is anyone willing to carry around a barrel of water?

Oh, and would it be possible to have a voidmind? the stat increases are nice and it would be a certain level of awesome to be the puppet of a cabal of mind flayers...
Read the First Post!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:51 am »

Neruz also wants us to figure out what sort of campain we want, ie the module he has or something else. I'm also curious as to what class everyone else is gonna take, the two classes I'm swinging between one is a jack of all trades sorta and does it well and the other is melee combat oriented.

Yeah, go for the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-a-few, I think we'll have enough melee from my 20str, 16dex, 20con half-minotaur Hobgoblin Fighter//Soulknife, and whatever 'TAAAANNNK' means from CJ.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: April 19, 2010, 11:16:15 am »

Are we doing any of that balancing stuff? Like, mages are nerfed, partial gestalt, free Vow of Poverty, any of that?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 19, 2010, 11:24:32 am »

Partial Gestalt.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:04 am »

Hmm, not sure if I should say this here.

If you're lacking 3.5 books, and don't mind dodgy dealing, PM me.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 19, 2010, 02:10:01 pm »

Yes we're doing tiers which is that partial gesalt thing and that reminds me, were we going to go with the partial nerf to full casters that the person has to take a different class for every x levels of the full caster? That was like the first thing we discussed and I don't think we rendered any decision on that.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:10 pm »

Can we do character traits?

And as for setting, can we have something more urban? I crave intrigue and sneaking into people's places (castles are best)! And plentiful shops (occasionally with limited supply; for instance, this town has a potion shop but no other magic shops, this town has a general store and a blacksmith who can do masterwork but there's no magicians...). Having 3D terrain would greatly add to my fun factor starting at level 7 or so.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 19, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »

Can we do character traits?

And as for setting, can we have something more urban? I crave intrigue and sneaking into people's places (castles are best)! And plentiful shops (occasionally with limited supply; for instance, this town has a potion shop but no other magic shops, this town has a general store and a blacksmith who can do masterwork but there's no magicians...). Having 3D terrain would greatly add to my fun factor starting at level 7 or so.
I think the module is an urban setting.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 177