Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88563 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2100 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:30 am »

Also, if you guys don't want to collaborate up a world, i'll make one.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:59 am »

At the moment is seems that we are using a standard humanoid village setting : (

Do monsters also need to spend con for spell-likes?

Master of Cantrips: suck life from the land to power magic.
Spiritwalker: Suck the soul of the land to power magic.
 Welcome to Darksun...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 24, 2010, 02:48:34 am »

Do monsters also need to spend con for spell-likes?

Yes.

Master of Cantrips: suck life from the land to power magic.
Spiritwalker: Suck the soul of the land to power magic.
 Welcome to Darksun...

Nothing so cruel; what is a permanent drain of life-force from a single being is but a temporary inconvenience for several dozen beings (seen in the Communal Spell feat), when that same drain is spread across a million blades of grass it is entirely imperceptible and of no consequence at all.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:04 am »

Also i just realised; if one or more of you wants to run a character attempting to research a new way to regain the magic of old, having Humans be the primary race of the Realm you come from would be most fitting, as Men led the attack upon the Gods.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:03 am »

With BAB-based multiple attacks replaced with damage increases, multiple attacks could become... messy I am particularly thinking about combat reflexes and natural weapons here, but a boring old TWF rogue could suddenly beat the two-handed maniac in a frontal attack, of course, the DR helps, but that only goes so far...

Also, I am assuming that maximum power attack will use the BAB that you would have had normally, but what will combat expertise, fighting defensively etc do to AC? there are enough add <number> to AC abilities that static ab could be seriously malnourished...

Oh, if anyone wants to powergame, I cannot recommend a lance-wielding, spirited charging, small-sized paladin strongly enough...

Lets collaborate a setting!!! I vote for Law versus Chaos on the shattered remnants of the Chaotic-Good afterlife... And thri-kreen were there!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:48:27 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 24, 2010, 06:06:45 am »

I'm still debating on how to handle things like power attack and combat expertise.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:46 am »

Time for Neruz to take everyone here through the process of Changing Shit in DnD - How to Du Eet

So, let's take a look at TWF.

To start with, we need to compare fighting with two weapons to the other things you could do with that free hand; namely hold a shield or wield a two-handed weapon. We shall use the Fighter for our comparisons, as he is Captain Generic.

So we shall take Bob. Bob is a 1st level Human Fighter with 16 Strength, at the moment his other stats are meaningless.

Bob has a choice to make, he needs to pick his weapons, we shall assume Bob optimises a bit to pick the better weapons.

This means Bob will be using one of the following combinations:

Greatsword

Bastard Sword and Heavy Shield

Longsword and Shortsword

These are basically Bob's best choices at level 1, so let's see how they compare:

Greatsword - 2d6+4 damage. 6 - 16 damage, average damage of 11.

Simple and straightforward. Next:

Bastard Sword and Heavy Shield - Little more complex; Bastard Sword gives Bob 1d10+3 damage, or 4 - 13 damage, average damage of 8.5. So we can see that Bob has sacrificed 2.5 damage per attack to get a +2 to AC and Reflex, Bob has also had to sacrifice a feat to get the Bastard Sword (he'd be using a Longsword without it, giving him an average damage of 7.5). What does the Shield bonus do? Well, in an ideal environment everyone hits everyone else on an 11, so Bob is now hit on a 13, instead of an 11, which means he gets hit approximately 10% less often than his friend, Roger, who doesn't have shield. This means he takes around about 10% less damage.

If we assume Bob's enemy is Roger and using a Greatsword, we can see that Roger is going to do around 1.1 less damage to Bob per round. So Roger is doing 9.9 damage per round, while Bob is doing 8.5 damage per round. Bob had to sacrifice a Feat too, so it looks like Roger is winning, but Bob also has a +2 bonus to Reflex, which is an extra bonus, and Bob survives longer than Roger in encounters, which means although he's doing less damage per round, he does it for longer.

Now lets see what happens if Bob grabs the Longsword-Shortsword combo with the TWF Feat.

Bob is now at a -2 for his attacks, so he's doing 10% less damage. However he gets 2 attacks, and statistically 2 attacks at -2 are actually better than 1 attack at no penalty; each individual attack has less chance of hitting, but there is a greater chance that one of those attacks will hit.

With his two attacks, Bob is now doing 1d8+3 and 1d6+1, giving him 7.5 + 4.5 = 12 average damage per attack.

So far seems good, Bob is slightly up on the Greatsword-wielding Roger by 1 damage point and some accuracy, but unlike Roger he did have to sacrifice a feat to get it.

The problem, of course, arises when damage bonuses get into play: Bob gets twice as much benefit from damage bonuses if he's dual wielding than if he's not, and that rapidly outscales any potential defense benefit Shields may have. Two-handed weapons retain their charm due to the Spiked Chain and it's reach, but the poor Sword and Board fighter is suffering badly in comparison.

The solution to this is actually quite simple: most damage bonuses do not apply to off-hand attacks.

Bam, problem solved. Wielding two weapons, Bob only gets his extra D6's on his main-hand attack, as with any other bonuses. But dammit, there's those masterwork damage bonuses, and magic weapon damage bonuses, and Bob can just increase his strength. How do we balance this?

Well, through a whole bunch of complicated maths and a bit of educated guessing, if we chop off Bob's Str modifier to damage on his off-hand attacks as well, it actually balances out rather well. TWF becomes the mid-ground between Sword and Board and Two Handed Weapons; SnB has the lowest damage, but highest defense, THW has the highest damage but lowest defense, and TWF ends up in the middle, but costs more feats than both.

So there we go; when fighting with two weapons, you do not gain your stat modifier or Base Damage Bonus (the extra D6's that replace extra attacks) to damage rolls with your off-hand weapon.

Also, couple more feets:

Intelligent Combat
Prerequisites: Int 13
Benefit: The character may use his Intelligence modifier in place of his Strength or Dexterity modifier when making attacks with melee or ranged weapons.

Tactical Strike
Prerequisites: Int 15, Intelligent Combat
Benefit: The character may use his Intelligence modifier in place of his Strength modifer when rolling damage with melee weapons. The character also gains his Intelligence modifier to damage rolls with ranged weapons.

Modified Feats:

Power Attack
Damage bonus is double what is subtracted from attacks, or triple when wielding a weapon in two hands.

Combat Expertise
Combat Expertise is now capped a -2 penalty, +2 dodge bonus.

Mobility
Dodge Bonus is now +2, not +4

Quickdraw
You may draw hidden light weapons as free actions, not move actions.

Metamagic Feats
Are GORN.

Leadership
Leadership no longer functions to grant the players FREE DUDES, as that is horribly, horribly overpowered for a Feat.

Instead, if there is a character with Leadership in the party, the party gains a number of Resolve Tokens equal to his Charisma modifier. A character with Leadership may also spend action points but give the benefit of the action points to another party member (so the Leader spends 3 points and Bob gets a new standard action, taken immediately.)

Next on Neruz Nightly: Shit i forgot about last time!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:06 am »

At the moment, we have a village with tall mountains nearby.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:57 am »

Bob jumps onto his light warhorse and chooses not to take advantage of the option to wield a lance in one hand.
Bob spends all three feats getting spirited change, but Bob is happy because Bob's horse has obscene ride-check-based AC.
Bob charges at Bob, with +2 to hit, and deals 3d8+12(25.5 average) damage.
Bob then continues the charge action and disappears into the sunset...

Blob the giant octopus adds 1d6 to all 8 of Blob's primary attacks, but nothing to Blob's bite attack.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 24, 2010, 08:36:58 am »

You only get the Base Damage Bonus D6's to one attack. Happy?

Bob can go charger if he wants: Chargers are always the highest damage fighter builds even in vanilla; this is offset by the fact that they need to charge, which is actually a bigger disadvantage than you might think.

--EDIT--

Wait a second; one of you is planning on playing an Octopus?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:50:20 am by Neruz »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:52 am »

I'm still waiting on a yea nay on thri-kreen or if we'll have to make changes to it so I can play him at first level, otherwise I'll be going dwarf.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 24, 2010, 11:59:53 am »

Actually, I think that you should be on a desert.
The whole point and gold in conflict is water.
Puh-lease, that'd be awesome.
OR
Pirates on ship! No ninjas involved!
OR
Ancient greece in your face. The humans just climbed olympus and slaughered everyone there for being manipulative jerks with minds of 3 year olds. Now that I think about it, ancient greece would be awesome, AND have a point.
Adventures could be about hunting down survivors like dryads and cyclopses.
Aint that cool?!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »

I was thinking of starting in a smallish settlement, of various races, with mountains to the north, maybe water to the east, and the rest is flaaaaaaat.

Neruz, is it possible to use the Weapon Finesse feat (and 15 int of course) as the prerequisite for tactical combat? Since it is so similar...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:29:43 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »

Or, a Dex version of both Intelligent Combat and Tactical Strike?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 24, 2010, 03:00:16 pm »

I'll write my backstory in a sec..probably going to edit this. Hopefully this is alright?

As for a setting, I'd go for anything with a lot of villages instead of a barren wasteland sort of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 177