Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88663 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2025 on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:21 pm »

Well if we go low magic then I will definetly stick to my thri-kreen critter. Someone just got alot more deadly.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 22, 2010, 11:18:30 pm »

It basically means only the most powerful god-level casters get access to spells higher than 4th level, and most casters blow themselves up before they then.

If we do go the low magic route userpay i'll be restricting the races alot more, mostly to try and make the story fit better. It's basically impossible to have any seblance of realism when you've got a Bamboo Spiritfolk running along next to a Thri-kreen.

Also we'd be starting at level 1, and no Psionics.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 22, 2010, 11:22:01 pm »

Realism died when we had people randomly telewarping in and out of existence, but I digress.

What kind of advantage would gestalting as a Barbarian/NPC have, anyhow? What do NPCs have that could help out?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 22, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »

I'm guessing that in among the race-nerfing would no more fire elves?

Because they make bitchin' rogues.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 22, 2010, 11:31:44 pm »

Where is this variant coming from?
 And what about spell-like abilities?
 I was just thinking about spellcasting classes with delayed progression and it occurred to me that something like warpriest(or archmage for that matter) can get high level spells without casting them... On the other hand, monsters have a great many spell-likes too... Not to mention force missile mage and 1st level spell spamming... maybe I could cross archmage for spell-like telekinesis and master of the unseen hand...
 I have definitely had enough of passive characters for now, but it would have been nice to get just 2 more levels and duelist's ultimate ability...

Barbarian could get better skills or better will saves and a few divine spells...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 22, 2010, 11:39:18 pm »

The variant is from the Tier list.

And know RAM, that the purpose of the variant is to eliminate powerful magic from the setting. Any attempts to get around this will result in exploding.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:55 am »

Can I have the link to that tier list again? And are fire elves allowed if we do go with the low-magic setting?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:32 am »

We'll see.

Heah is the link.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 23, 2010, 01:16:32 am »

In the hopes of having a game where magic is still part of the world, but still quite nerfed, here's a few ideas for some house rules, which of course Neruz could morph, mix and match as he wished... spoiler'd because I actually got quite a bit of stuff down

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 23, 2010, 01:32:39 am »

What i'm looking for in a system is to reduce bookkeeping. To that end i think i'll start compositing some bits together, including borrowing some stuff from 4e (specifically atm, the idea of automatic but out-of-combat healing, F\R\W defenses, rather than saves, which speeds things up, and some sort of action point system.)

I've also found a great idea called "Raising the Stakes", which allows players to wager more definitive outcomes against greater losses, such as wagering an extra 2d6 damage with an attack against being knocked over and becoming dazed should the attack fail. That looks like fun, excersize your creativity a bit.

I shall dedicate Wednesday to seeing what i can come up with. I'm pretty sure i have a good idea as to what i'm aiming for now.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 23, 2010, 01:48:02 am »

I wonder if I can dig up that useless paladin/archer build with divine might I wanted to try...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 23, 2010, 01:56:23 am »

Wait, that sounds rather fun Neruz! I think this bastardized game would be plenty fun, work with less magic, more crazy stuff, seems fun to me!

Also I like Shoruke's ideas, seem more reasonable than the ridiculously high DC
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 23, 2010, 02:05:55 am »

Some of them, maybe, but some are plain demented. The knowledge check thing would mean that Sorcerers can't do jack.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:42 am »

The inevitable result of axing magic in the face is that the magic-based classes end up screwed. That's kind of the point.

Several of Shoruke's ideas do run counterintuitive to what i'm aiming for, which are rules that either reduce or at the very least do not add to the paperwork.

Don't worry, i'm looking at some of the 3.5 suppliments that make non-magic things more interesting (like Tome of Battle). I'm also seriously considering putting some effort into making stats other than Strength viable for fighter types.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:16:47 am by Neruz »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 23, 2010, 04:34:01 am »

Neruz' crazy idea #1:

Remove scaling bonuses to pass-or-fail mechanics (Attacks and Defenses), instead scale damage and HP. A 10th level Fighter, instead of having a +10 bonus to his attacks over a 1st level Fighter but doing about the same amount of damage has the same attack bonus as the 1st level Fighter, but does more damage with each attack.

Result (In Theory): Low level creatures can still hit higher level ones, but cannot individually do much damage, this means that a mob of commoners can overwhelm a single powerful creature, as individually they don't do all that much damage, but together their damage output increases.

This allows for much better horde fights.

Crazy Idea #2:

Seperate hitting an enemy from damaging an enemy; thick plate armor doesn't actually make you harder to hit, it makes you harder to damage (probably using the armor as damage reduction rules from UA with some tweeks), this meshes extremely well with Crazy Idea #1.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 177