Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88664 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #2010 on: March 22, 2010, 09:20:54 am »

Switch to 4ed maybe. Start at level 1? Seriously? After all that work?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »

I personally don't feel like learning the 4e system, I'd be the ubern00b all over again. Remember Shneeka's 6 con? Yeah, almost that nooby.

I'd suggest starting again at level 1, western marches style again... but maybe with a differently graded spell set and some nerfed magic items? Like, a transmuter would learn to actually transmute things before he learns how to teleport 4 people 500 feet instantly, and magic items that make you too badass too fast (like +6 headband of int) cost a lot more.

Anyone know of some alternative spell progression lists? Or do we basically have to run our spell choices by the DM at every level and see if they 'make sense' in terms of balance, and logic (god forbid)?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:30:36 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 22, 2010, 01:09:34 pm »

I think a low magic variety might be fun. I'd like to keep the storyline myself however, that's about my only thing. Seems a shame to just throw things away at this point.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 22, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »

Mmm admittedly low magic might actually help my character seeing how much money I have to spend weapon wise.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 22, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

Low magic means mundane weapons.

If you looked at that 'tiered system' on whatever forum Neruz linked to (we need that link on this forum, for reference), the low magic game basically made all spells have a chance to kill you instantly if you cast them, and they can't even be prepared reliably. Nobody in the world is going to go through all of that, and THEN spend money and exp to create a +1 weapon for you... unless they've got like 10 levels in fighter and 3 in wizard, so they can handle the backlash, but in that case they are going to GOUGE YOUR EYES OUT with the price.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:48 pm »

that's kinda lame...I mean I was more thinking low magic as in there was very little that could be cast, not "hurr hurr you die!"
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 22, 2010, 04:20:59 pm »

I've got 4e's rulebooks, but I much prefer 3.5
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 22, 2010, 05:39:11 pm »

What the low magic variant listed in the rules means is that casters are now a hugely risky proposition and magic items come pretty much exclusively from looting ancient civilizations.

It also renders enhancement bonuses moot, as everyone gets Vow of Poverty-like effects for free, this makes specific weapons much less important, which is good.

The thing i really like about it is that it renders straight up "bonus to X" items less useful, because players are getting those bonuses as they level up anyway, which frees up alot of slots.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »

A Sword and Sorcery campaign would be nice. (Using skill instead of magical deathwhacks.)

Disemboweling people is way more fun than vaporizing em.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:00 pm »

Hrrmm. I think it'd be cool to just continue and go low magic, I mean, it would be more fun. Though I'd have to re work Kerrel, considering he's pretty darn magical right now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »

Well if we go with the low magic rules being a caster is severely nerfed.

Ex: It's a DC10 spellcraft\religion\nature check for first level spells, so you cannot cast first level spells without risk until you have a +9 spellcraft modifier. DC20 is second level spells, so until your spellcraft modifier is +19, there is always a chance that any second level spells you cast will explode in your face, and so on.

Yes that means the DC is 90 for 9th level spells.

The amusing thing is that this low magic variant actually fits the story i have for the game world anyway; the gods being dead and all.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 22, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »

what's the DC on 0th level spells?

Anyway, I'll be creating my level 1 Gestalted Fighter/Monk now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 22, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »

Generally when things multiply spell level, 0th level spells are treated as 1/2 level spells, so the DC would be 5.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 22, 2010, 11:06:45 pm »

Oh jeez. That would fit, but that DC is very steep... O.o Means you'd have to devote 5 skill points every level to your respective check should you not want to get buried. and you need a high int score to do that!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 22, 2010, 11:12:01 pm »

Well, it means only the VERY intelligent and dedicated could avoid instant death.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 177